Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing ATM withdrawal - was I right to accept PTSB offer?

Options
  • 11-05-2013 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

The main aim of this thread is to assist anyone who was unlucky enough to find themselves in the same position as myself. Issue all resolves around a 250 euro Atm withdrawal that i did not receive the cash for but my account was debited.

Quick breakdown of the events.

1- went to withdraw 250 euro from ATM in Birmingham airport but did not receive the funds but my account was still debited.

2- informed bank and they started the process to dispute the transaction and the funds were put back into my account.

3- ATM company then informed PTSB that the ATM transaction was successful and the ATM balanced , the funds were then withdrawn from my account.

4- Then followed the banks complaints procedure and tried to get the 250 euro back but this was unsuccessful and was told that nothing the bank could do.

5- Issued a complaint with the financial ombudsman and they contacted me and recommended mediation with PTSB.

6- PTSB rang me and initially offered me 50% of money back so 125 euro , I then asked for 150 which was agreed so they have credited my account with 150 euro.

I want to ask boards.ie members was i right to take the 150 euro or should i have refused and let the financial ombudsman resolve the case but risk ending up with nothing if I lost.

But the main question is when you do not receive your cash from an atm withdrawal and the company says it balances what are your rights?

Below is a statement from an article on bbc website

The Financial Services Authority confirmed that in these sorts of disputes it was up to the bank to prove that the customer had received their cash.
    The rules are part of the 2009 Payment Services Directive.
    It said the fact that cash machine operators said its payments tallied was not in itself sufficient proof.

Was I right to accept PTSB offer 2 votes

YES
    0% 0 votes
    NO
    100% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I would you think you were wrong to accept.

If they were completely satisfied that you had got the money they would have dismissed you as a chancer and sent you on your way.

The fact they were willing to (a) engage with you and (b) negotiate with you imo means they were not sure.

What was your thinking to agreeing to it?
    The horse has now bolted, what does it matter what us boardsies think now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

amdublin wrote: »
    I would you think you were wrong to accept.

If they were completely satisfied that you had got the money they would have dismissed you as a chancer and sent you on your way.

The fact they were willing to (a) engage with you and (b) negotiate with you imo means they were not sure.

What was your thinking to agreeing to it?
    The horse has now bolted, what does it matter what us boardsies think now?

Seems more likely that they weren't arsed going through a long dispute with the ombudsman tbh. They engaged with the op cos he's their customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Point 2 - why did they refund then take it back?

That's not how it works.

In my day you
    1) Balanced the machine
    2) Checked the internal receipt roll for that particular transaction to see if there were any error messages.

The offer of €150 appears to be a goodwill gesture.

Advertisement