Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clothes origin

• 11-05-2013 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

We have heard that Pennys (Primark) sources some of its clothing range from Bangladesh - scene of recent disaster and so called slave labour, but where does Dunnes Stores source its clothing range?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I presume your question is motivated by a desire to spend your money so that it supports producers who treat their employees well. That's an objective I would support.

But I don't think that basing your spending choices on the country of origin question is an effective strategy. I am fairly sure that some producers in Bangladesh (or Malaysia/China/Taiwan/wherever) treat their staff properly, and others do not.

As individuals, we are not really well-equipped to implement policies of ethical spending. we simply don't have the knowledge of what sort of workplace things come from. It would be good if our local distributors and retailers would do it on our behalf. I suspect that they would all claim that they do, and probably can produce some documentation to support such claims. I suspect that many of those ethical purchasing policies are ineffective (and I suspect that the big purchasers believe that they are ineffective, but have a resigned attitude to it, a kind of fatalistic "what more can we do?"; doing more would cost them money, perhaps serious money).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

After 15 years on fashion retailing I have come to the conclusion that they country of origin and retail price bear very little relevance on the treatment of the employees making the clothing.

Most countries of origin are printed beside the EAN on the label.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Mystified

@ P. Breathnach

I admit my question was somewhat simplistic and your reply is justifiably nuanced but doing nothing is not an option.

All consumers here have to go on is some knowledge of the country of origin of the goods - in this case clothing, and BTW I am unsure whether or not it is obligitory to label clothes with country of origin - so they can make a choice. I take your point that some manufacturers in these so called low cost countries treat their employees well but consumers do not have that detailed information. The relevent authorities in those low cost countries will be forced to take corrective action against poor employers - perhaps urged on by good employers - if their country's products are tainted with use of "slave" labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mattdelon

Mystified wrote: »
    We have heard that Pennys (Primark) sources some of its clothing range from Bangladesh - scene of recent disaster and so called slave labour, but where does Dunnes Stores source its clothing range?
    I have no idea. I have no preference on the origins when buying my clothes; as long as I like the style and of course fits me well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

It has been said that the building itself in Bangladesh was not structurally sound, having been built taller than regulations permit, and on the wrong plot. This is down to their own government officials to ensure that regulations and safety standards are met, and sourcing our clothing elsewhere is not going to wake them up and make them mix the cement any better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    It has been said that the building itself in Bangladesh was not structurally sound, having been built taller than regulations permit, and on the wrong plot. This is down to their own government officials to ensure that regulations and safety standards are met, and sourcing our clothing elsewhere is not going to wake them up and make them mix the cement any better.
    I think it might. That's one sort of thing that an ethical purchasing policy should address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

For sure. However, what I always have encountered, is that cost rules out when you're struggling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I think it might. That's one sort of thing that an ethical purchasing policy should address.

It should be, yes. But it's the age-old unfortunate fact that there will always be someone else to fill your unethical shoes. You're never going to get everyone to pay double for their clothing in the hopes that Primark and other such companies refuse to deal with companies who do not look after their staff or review their building legislations correctly. There will always be another company to fill their boots, and there will always be another person in need of a cheap hoodie to fill ours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I never found a box in their stockroom with an EU country on it anyway. Sometimes Turkey though. They don't treat their staff in this country well, most companies can at least manage this.

Paying a fortune for something means nothing about it's origin. American Apparel though, DO have their clothes made in the US.. Primark made a good point, their supplier occupied one floor in a 9 storey building..and none of the other companies came forward. I think it's unfair they are the scapegoat. They make a profit because they buy in bulk, sell in bulk, and don't advertise. That probably makes them slightly better morals-wise than those who have a much more significant markup, which goes someway to side the origin whereas Primark stand out in the open. River Island share the same suppliers, but you won't hear them standing up or getting the blame it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 patgmail

let,s be honest here
    MOST people don't give a toss where their clothes are made or what conditions prevail there. All they care about is the style and the price. I'm not saying that is a good thing but just that it,s how it is.

Totally agree, I worked for one company that made their clothes in Ireland and the label was never even commented on by customers, only the fact a pair of trousers were €125 a pair!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Remember that for countries such as Bangladesh the inward income from western companies who get clothing made there is extremely important to the local economy.

$5 a day can go a long way in some places and could be construed as good wages because the cost of living is so low.

Once child / slave labour is not involved, then clothing made in places like Vietnam, Bangladesh and other simlar places supports a huge number of families and is in a way is a far more ethical purchase than something made in the UK.

In all the reports about the tragedy, there was nothing to suggest that any worker in any of the numerous factories located in the building were treated badly in the normal day to day operations.

Closer to home, take a trip to the garment area in leicester in the UK where similar operations are to eb found. 10+ factories operating out of one large multi floored building paying workers minimum wage, but in UK, minimum wage barely gets you over basic poverty.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭rustopher

i got some great deals last wend in pennys... my winter coat, belts, tops for work. After I thought about that documentary about young children who work in under dangerous conditions for next to nothing. Is it still like that? Has the documentary made any difference? I wounder if shoppers think twice about shopping there now...i suppose not in this current climate??! I guess what we dont see doesnt effect us too much...

Advertisement