Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephen Carr retires from football

Options
  • 11-05-2013 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭

Not sure how I managed to miss this but he announced his retirement on May 3rd.

I dunno if anyone here is really that fussed but I was gutted when he left for Newcastle in 2004.

Guys a legend in my eyes and was delighted to see him lift the Carling Cup with Birmingham after coming out of retirement.

I'm sure most remember him for this:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Fifa 99 all over again.

Piss it down the wing and then shoot into the opposite top corner. Guaranteed goal :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

That was my first trip to the lane as a 15 year old when he scored that goal. My absolute hero at that age, even though I was quite a bit older when he left I was heart broken. I always thought he had a big season or two in him where he might a couple of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Would hardly call him a legend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Wouldn't have expected anything less from you..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Not every day you grow up around the corner from a Spurs player.

Quality player who ended up having a decent enough career

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Was a good player, but he did call Newcastle a bigger club when he left. They were a better team at the time but were never a bigger club.

irishmover wrote: »
    Wouldn't have expected anything less from you..

Another odd comment from you. Carr was an average to good player, he was in no way a spurs legend

Don't see how someone who left for Newcastle calling them a bigger club than spurs can be called a legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

Not sure how I managed to miss this but he announced his retirement on May 3rd.

I dunno if anyone here is really that fussed but I was gutted when he left for Newcastle in 2004.

Guys a legend in my eyes and was delighted to see him lift the Carling Cup with Birmingham after coming out of retirement.

I'm sure most remember him for this:

October 1999 - was at WHL that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Good luck to him,he served us well.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

In fairness, he looked very promising with us until he picked up a leg injury. My memory is that he used to take on opposing players all day up to that but then seemed to lose confidence, I.e go up as far as an opposition player and then play it square. Could have been excellent but didn't happen after that injury

• Advertisement

mickman wrote: »
    Another odd comment from you. Carr was an average to good player, he was in no way a spurs legend

Don't see how someone who left for Newcastle calling them a bigger club than spurs can be called a legend!

It wasn't so much thinking he's not a legend. More the fact it's the only thing you picked up on, a one liner saying a guy who served spurs for 11 years isn't a legend.

Legend is an overstatement, he was one of my favourite players growing up so I was always gonna be biased but surely you could have posted something a little better than what you did.

It wasn't so much thinking he's not a legend. More the fact it's the only thing you picked up on, a one liner saying a guy who served spurs for 11 years isn't a legend.

Legend is an overstatement, he was one of my favourite players growing up so I was always gonna be biased but surely you could have posted something a little better than what you did.

Relax man, it's a free country. There isn't any set of rules as to what a post should contain

Ill try harder for you next time :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Is there anyone apart from Ledley who served us longer in the premiership era?

The year he left Newcastle finished a couple of points short of CL and we finished 14th.

The Newcastle were a better team but not a bigger club line seems a little Pedantic. It's fairly safe to say that he didn't mean it literally.

mickman wrote: »
    Relax man, it's a free country. There isn't any set of rules as to what a post should contain

Ill try harder for you next time :-)

Yeh you're right, it is a free country.... Just felt it was a little disrespectful. But who am I to judge!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Was a good player, but he did call Newcastle a bigger club when he left. They were a better team at the time but were never a bigger club.
    Newcastle are a bigger club though, at least were for a long time. They're a club of a city. AFAIK they filled their stadium most weeks in the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Best of luck to him. Served us well but was never the same player after the injury.
    More of a legend than Freund :D but thats not saying much!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,744 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I think we can all agree that he was a fine player and been irish we all has a soft spot for him.

In full flow for us in his last couple of season he really was something special but I have to say it left a sour taste in mouth when he left for Newcastle the way that he did.

Where they a bigger team at the time? Perhaps, but not by much.

Still, he was a fine player and all the best to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

KingdomYid wrote: »

And spurs finished ahead of Newcastle every year he was with them...

Still that goal against Utd is one of my favourites

Advertisement