Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wine not starting?

Options
  • 11-05-2013 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

Started my second wine kit the other day, Solomon Grundy cab sav...

I think i might have had the water too warm when i chucked the yeast in, its been three days now with no airlock activity at all.

Can i put more yeast in to get it going again? or should i just give it more time?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

giftgrub wrote: »
    Started my second wine kit the other day, Solomon Grundy cab sav...

I think i might have had the water too warm when i chucked the yeast in, its been three days now with no airlock activity at all.

Can i put more yeast in to get it going again? or should i just give it more time?

I’m no expert but if the water was more than say 30 degrees and it’s been more than say 3 days I personally would cave and throw another packet in, logic being why waste a batch of €30 wine for a €3 packet of yeast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

It wasnt more than 30... the therm on the bin said 25 or 26 at the most...

Hold that thought...its just starting to push one side of the airlock now...

Would extra yeast do any harm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

It wasnt more than 30... the therm on the bin said 25 or 26 at the most...

Hold that thought...its just starting to push one side of the airlock now...

Would extra yeast do any harm?

I don’t think it will do any harm but it just might not do any good if the yeast is not the problem. Saying that 26 Degrees should not be a problem for yeast, what was the expiration on the wine kit/yeast packet? When did you pitch?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

its been three days now with no airlock activity at all.

Airlock activity just means that the fermenter is airtight and the airlock is the only means of escape for the CO2 but often times this is not the case and the CO2 is venting though some other means - maybe a loose lid or whatever. Nothing wrong with that either.

Do you have any other signs of fermentation such as foam on top of the brew?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Update....

It took a few days but its now clipping away!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement