Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

church bells playing for ages daily -legal?

Options
  • 11-05-2013 11:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Ok ok I know I should be wary about turning into victor meldrew but the bell ringing from local church is doing my head in! I end up with Ave Maria stuck in my head all day, not a pleasant experience,believe you me. Togher church must have hired a new bell ringer or else its piped as easily goes on for over an hour at a time. Just curious as to why its deemed legal - if I was to play house music so loud that whole neighbourhood could hear, am sure that would be breaking some law. Why is the church allowed do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭chinwag

They are toning down the bells at Christ Church Cathedral in Dublin due to complaints about the noise - you should contact them and tell them how it is affecting you. I'm sure others in the area must be affected also, so get your phone book out or write a letter. You do have a legitimate complaint which I'm sure would be taken into account by your local church.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Just call them and tell them - out local church did the same and turned both the volume and the duration down after we told them how intrusive the sound was.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

seefin wrote: »
    Ok ok I know I should be wary about turning into victor meldrew but the bell ringing from local church is doing my head in! I end up with Ave Maria stuck in my head all day, not a pleasant experience,believe you me. Togher church must have hired a new bell ringer or else its piped as easily goes on for over an hour at a time. Just curious as to why its deemed legal - if I was to play house music so loud that whole neighbourhood could hear, am sure that would be breaking some law. Why is the church allowed do it?
    I live right behind the church , i dont think its that bad but i have trees behind the house that deaden the sound a bit.

A kind word in a letter is the best option .

I think they got a new electronic bell system put in as part of the works and have been fluting about with it since.

Im more pissed off with the ridiculous parking which is happening around the estates next to it during mass times, people parking on double yellow lines on corners, etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,027 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Im more pissed off with the ridiculous parking which is happening around the estates next to it during mass times, people parking on double yellow lines on corners, etc etc.

But don't you know that parking restrictions don't apply if you're going to mass?
    Just have a look around Popes Quay and John Redmond Street any Sunday.

I actually heard a man say to a garda who took him up for parking illegally at mass time "I'm only trying to follow god's law.".

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I live right behind the church , i dont think its that bad but i have trees behind the house that deaden the sound a bit.

A kind word in a letter is the best option .

I think they got a new electronic bell system put in as part of the works and have been fluting about with it since.

You'll need a few of these:
    parkingnotice_small.png
    http://www.youparklikeanidiot.net/giveanotice.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Was just making dinner and humming the bells of the angelus,this is getting serious! I'm not a bit religious so to me this is up there with getting a jedward song piped into my house and my brain. Im prob too much of a wimp to say anything,just was amazed how the fact that its from a catholic church means its acceptable

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Gosh, and this noise just spung up so quickly an all - only a century or so of traditional of bell ringing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Try living in Switzerland, the bells go off on the quarter of the hour ever quarter hour and for about 15 mins at 7PM. The one I used to live near continued all night...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Manach wrote: »
    Gosh, and this noise just spung up so quickly an all - only a century or so of traditional of bell ringing.
    It actually did in this area. If you read the posts properly you would see i pointed out they had just got a new bell and speaker system and have been using it a hell of a lot more than before, ringing different tunes etc and louder now.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

seefin wrote: »
    Was just making dinner and humming the bells of the angelus,this is getting serious! I'm not a bit religious so to me this is up there with getting a jedward song piped into my house and my brain. Im prob too much of a wimp to say anything,just was amazed how the fact that its from a catholic church means its acceptable

You need to say something - there is no need for a confrontation, but they probably have not even realised it is intrusive. All it takes is a call to say 'look I live beside the church and I find the new ringing pattern very difficult - it goes on for much longer than before and it is very loud in my house. Can you please go back to the previous arrangement?'

And see what they say. When our local church got a new bell system (horrible things, digital bells) they played Christmas carols every 15 minutes. I kid you not. But they did stop after neighbours complained.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Just say it to them. It's a bunch of people. They're not going to zap you with their eyes or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Go to confession and tell the priest that the bells are driving you mad and that you cant get them out of your head. Tell him youve even been humming them while having sex and its putting you off!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 fily55

I live in front of the church and it does my head in. I had friends collect me and after hearing it once they thought it was a bit excessive. Every Sunday it starts at 8.45 and carries on in stupid times constantly. I actually timed 26 minutes of bells from 8.45-1.00 a couple of weeks ago.

The thing is it is not even religious hymns all the time. They played Mozart once which is ridiculous. I'm atheist but I understand people's religious beliefs and respect them. But why so many damn bells?

How many masses would there be on a Sunday? I don't mind the normal ding for 1 minute to indicate mass but this church over does it. The ding is always 2 minutes and they play repeated hymns which last at least 2 minutes every time.

During the day it can also get so loud that I've to pause whatever I'm watching just to be able to hear the Telly. When it's over I unpause it and just as I'm getting back to it, a stupid hymn.

I find it loud, excessive and quite redundant most of the time.

Advertisement