Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed

Options
  • 11-05-2013 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭

My mother has an old dell dimension 1100 she wants rid of. What should I do with it or where would I go about getting shot of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

if its working hand it into a charity shop or similar, make sure to wipe the HD first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Oxfam are usually glad to take old computers so long as they arent complete heaps of junk. As the last person said, make sure to remove the hard drive. Otherwise, the local rubbish dumps take electrical goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

erase the hardrive,
    See http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/five-apps/five-hard-disk-cleaning-and-erasing-tools/1568

You don,t want someone getting your credit card ,bank info.

You can put it on www.adverts.ie /free stuff,
    or jumbletown.ie ,
    And someone will take it off you,
    save you going to a dump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭ian87

riclad wrote: »
    erase the hardrive,
    See http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/five-apps/five-hard-disk-cleaning-and-erasing-tools/1568

You can put it on www.adverts.ie /free stuff,
    or jumbletown.ie ,
    And someone will take it off you,
    save you going to a dump.

Thanks for all the replies. I just brought it to the dump altogether as she had an old iron, vacuum etc that needed dumping too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

riclad wrote: »
    erase the hardrive,

If this info was kept on a stick and not on the hard drive could it still be accessable from the hard drive if sold on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

danjo-xx wrote: »
    If this info was kept on a stick and not on the hard drive could it still be accessable from the hard drive if sold on.

If you saved stuff on a USB stick rather than the hard drive then it should be fine, however the only way you can be 100% sure that your data is gone off a hard disk drive is to put a nail through the disk platter and destroy it. There's loads of programs out there that can retrieve information from hard drives very easily.

Advertisement