Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Management Churnover - shocking stats

• 11-05-2013 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Arsene Wenger is about to become the grand old man of the Premier League at 17 years this summer.

As for the rest at their current clubs

Alex Fergerson (gone in a week)
    David Moyes (see above)
    Tony Pulis June 2006
    Roberto Martinez August 2009
    Roberto Mancini December 2009
    Alan Pardew Dct 2010
    Martin Yol June 2011
    Sam Allardyce June 2011

are the only ones to have served more than one season at this point. Mancini looks to be a gonner. Pardew is probably for the chop this summer, there is talk about Jol as well. Martinez may yet replace Moyes. Pulis suddenly looks safe again. Big Sam also safe.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

It's not massively surprising. It's following the pattern of the real world in that people in upper management positions are spending less time in the 1 job. Premier League managerial turnover seems to be a bit excessive though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

What about Mancini?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Big Sam also says 'worst researched thread ever'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I forgot he had taken them up.

I'll tidy it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

im guessing op means seasons in PL also

• Advertisement

Either way its not great! (had Sam not got them up he'd probably have been toast, ditto Pardew)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Football is an ultra competitive multi billion pound industry, not some cotton candy factory.

Success is a must and you'll turn over manager after manager till you get it, I wouldn't feel sorry for the managers either, they know its not going to be some teddy bears picnic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Title should be changed to Management Churnover - (slightly less) shocking stats
    :D

It really is shocking though how long managers are lasting these days. What the hell is wrong with the recruitment process? Surely you decide if the appointment is a good one before you hire him, not after half a season. People were famously calling for Fergie to be fired after a couple of years but Utd knew that he had the qualities. It may take time to bed in. There is also a certain randomness to the results of football matches and even the top managers have losing runs. It's unavoidable.

Man City
    Chelsea
    Man Utd

the three biggest spenders all likely to be under new management (two for sure), will this shift the Prem Leagues tectonic plates or not? Will Arsenal, Spurs and *cough* Liverpool be able to take advantage of early season mid-firing as the new managers get to grips with their (no doubt changed) squads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

No.

something I just heard about.

Liverpool finished on 58 points in 04/05 and missed out on CL by 3 points.

Now they are on 58 points, and miles off CL football - the gap between the best teams and the also rans is getting bigger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

No.

Now they are on 58 points, and miles off CL football - the gap between the best teams and the also rans is getting bigger.
    This will be the first season a team with 68 points didn't get fourth (I'm assuming Arsenal will get at least 1 more point more likely 6 more)

In the last 10 years the gap between 4th and 5th has been as big as 10 and a small as 2 points, there is certainly no trend in either direction.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

No.

In 07/08 Liverpool were 4th with 76 points. Things change. I certainly don't think it'll be around the 60 point mark next season but it does fluctuate more than you'd think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Why does it always have to be about Liverpool

Why does it always have to be about Liverpool

Ask the guys that mention Liverpool in every thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I think Ferguson's success and famous near-sacking might cloud our judgement a little when it comes to the importance of having a manager in for a long number of years.

I think it was Balague or Sid Lowe who made the point that while people were bringing up how Real Madrid had had 24 managers during Ferguson's reign, nobody mentioned that over that period the teams had very similar levels of success, indeed Madrid probably more due to the greater importance of the Champions League.

I'm not advocating that a team should be like Real Madrid (responsible for some of the worst managerial sackings) but I think the English footballing mentality has generally been 'if he's not doing a bad job, let him stay.' On the continent, the feeling is more 'if he's not doing a very good job, get rid of him.' I don't think it's as clear-cut as people think as to which is the better ideology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

carlop wrote: »
    I think Ferguson's success and famous near-sacking might cloud our judgement a little when it comes to the importance of having a manager in for a long number of years.

I think it was Balague or Sid Lowe who made the point that while people were bringing up how Real Madrid had had 24 managers during Ferguson's reign, nobody mentioned that over that period the teams had very similar levels of success, indeed Madrid probably more due to the greater importance of the Champions League.

I'm not advocating that a team should be like Real Madrid (responsible for some of the worst managerial sackings) but I think the English footballing mentality has generally been 'if he's not doing a bad job, let him stay.' On the continent, the feeling is more 'if he's not doing a very good job, get rid of him.' I don't think it's as clear-cut as people think as to which is the better ideology.

Compare the level of player investment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Asking who the second longest serving manager is (discounting Fergie and Moyes as they are off soon) after Wenger is a good trivia question. Just asked two mates and between them it took nearly 10 minutes to figure out, ended up going through all the teams in their head to try and figure it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Asking who the second longest serving manager is (discounting Fergie and Moyes as they are off soon) after Wenger is a good trivia question. Just asked two mates and between them it took nearly 10 minutes to figure out, ended up going through all the teams in their head to try and figure it out.

Discounting Fergie and Wenger and Moyes... I'm drawing a blank at who the next longest reigning Prem manager is... Pulis, maybe? Or maybe Martinez?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

There is a pretty strong arguement for managerial turnover to be honest.

Keeping a manager to a lengthy period can get stale. People get complacent and get into a comfort zone. Player's get an indication if they are a favourite or if they are not, and sometimes that can equate to average to poor players being retained when it would appear obvious there is a serious problem. For the first time in a long time, United's midfield issues might actually be resolved. SAF had serious belief in Anderson for example, where alot of other managers would have cut loose years ago.

Managerial changes bring, well, change. Players are kept on their toes and forced to maintain high levels of work ethics in order to impress. New ideas come into a club, some retained and engrained into the club going forward, others discarded immediately after a change at the helm.

SAF and Wenger are the anomalies, we won't see it happen again I feel. And after reading a number of really informed pieces ( will try find links now) on why managerial turnover is a good thing, it has me a little more convinced. For example, it is nigh on impossible for a manager to remain at a club in Spain for more then 3 years, 5 years is an accomplishment. They just feel the need to keep things fresh and evolve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

DazMarz wrote: »
    Discounting Fergie and Wenger and Moyes... I'm drawing a blank at who the next longest reigning Prem manager is... Pulis, maybe? Or maybe Martinez?

It's Pulis. If him and Martinez leave it will be Allardyce at what, 2 years?

The answer is in the OP! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Dempsey wrote: »
    Compare the level of player investment

Obviously Real Madrid are well out on their own here, but it's not as if United were ever shy of spending money. The sheer sh1teness of English football in the late 80s and early 90s simply meant they couldn't attract anyone genuinely top class.

Also, the successful Real Madrid team of the late 80s would have been mostly homegrown (indeed many Real Madrid fans still claim this to be their greatest ever team, despite the fact they never won the European Cup).

Just lifted from BBC, the trophy winning class of 2011/12

- Premier League winner - Mancini sacked from City
    - FA Cup and Champions League winner - Roberto di Matteo sacked from Chelsea
    - League Cup winner - Kenny Dalglish sacked from Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Football is an ultra competitive multi billion pound industry, not some cotton candy factory.

Success is a must and you'll turn over manager after manager till you get it, I wouldn't feel sorry for the managers either, they know its not going to be some teddy bears picnic!

Well, is that really the best way of achieving success? Manager turnover?

The cost to clubs, in general, of manager upheavel is not cheap, no matter what the club.
    Payoffs to the outgoing manager AND all his staff usually, possibly compensation to the club the manager is coming from from him and his selected staff, payments to the new manager AND staff, then the possibility that the manager will want to bring in some of his own players at the very least and let lose some of the existing ones (fair enough this has to happen)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

mike65 wrote: »
    The answer is in the OP! :rolleyes:

Shows how short my attention span is... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

mike65 wrote: »
    Just lifted from BBC, the trophy winning class of 2011/12

- Premier League winner - Mancini sacked from City
    - FA Cup and Champions League winner - Roberto di Matteo sacked from Chelsea
    - League Cup winner - Kenny Dalglish sacked from Liverpool

Mancini spent a fortune, Dalglish spent poorly and the team under performed in the league and was Di Matteo ever in charge at Chelsea? He got way too much credit for very little work and his previous record is quite poor at WBA.

Advertisement