Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Guards WW1

Options
  • 11-05-2013 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello , is there anywhere I can find out ,hopefully free about a relative who as far as I can make out was in the Irish Guards in WW1. I have a name and address and date of birth. I have no idea what he did or where he was located but he may have had something to do with horses.
    I do know he survived and lived for many years afterwards.

Any ideas on this please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Welcome to the forum [can I actually say that, not being 100% Irish and all that?].

Anyhow, welcome.

Your relative was in an infantry regiment, so the chances of him having much to do with horses during WW1 are very slim. However, horses were and are still used by officers of the Foot Guards on certain parades - if you've ever watched the Trooping the Colur you'll have seen what I mean.

You might find out a bit more about him before writing to the regimental historian of the Irish Guards. Do you have ANY military details of any kind that would assist the search? Sadly, it is much easier to trace a relative who died in WW1 than a survivor...

The Service Records of the Guards Regiments are held by each regiment. They are not complete as some were damaged during the Second World War bombing too. Appointments to view documents can be made by contacting the regiment as appropriate.

Hope that helps, a little bit.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

put up his name and any details you want to share and it should be possible to do a look up for a Medal Index Card entry for the name in Irish Guards.

You can write to the Irish Guards at the address in the following blog entry

http://johnny-doyle.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/irish-soldiers-ww1.html

Does any member of the family have any WW1 campaign medals for him? They would have his name, number, regiment/corps.

Advertisement