Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Psychology HELP

• 11-05-2013 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi guys, sorry if this is the wrong forum!

Basically I'm about to do my leaving and I'm still not sure what to put on my CAO :o I know I'd love to study psychology, I find the human mind fascinating.. but after that I'd prefer to go into research rather than become a "psychologist" per say..

Do such jobs exist? (not necessarily in Ireland) and what course would you recommend, pure psychology or a science degree? :)

If this is in the wrong place I'd be grateful if you pointed me in the right direction :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭ibstar

Hi. Not sure why you haven't been answered yet, but found your post because I was searching for a psychology book (interested in this area, but work in completely different field).
    All I want to say is you have to do your research prior to getting into the course.
    I haven't done psychology myself, but know good few people that did,and one of them is my sister.
    To become a researcher in most fields you will need to have a doctoral degree.
    Some people will tell you that they heard or know people that got into research job with masters degree, but I will tell you that
    those people either heard wrong information or they got into a job through a thing called nepotism.
    You will need to find out how to obtain a doctoral degree, the steps you need to take, how long it is going to take, how much it is going to cost. Cost not just for the course, but costs associated with travel, rent etc.
    If you done your research about the course you would know that to become anywhere near qualified to use your psychology degree to make a living, you would need a lot of time. This is the time that somebody will have to support you financially.
    It's something similar to surgeon jobs, where they make their first salary in their 30s. It's a nice lump, but takes a lot of time to come to.
    I am not talking you out of your choice of career i any way. All I am trying to do is make you aware and be prepared of what you are going into. This will make it easier to cope during the tough times. Also I wanted to add is that there is no easy courses out there. They're all the same and equally hard and equally easy and challenging.
    Good luck.

Advertisement