Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much for 14hr child care?

Options
  • 11-05-2013 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hi there, I'm heading back to work shortly and just wondering how much I should give for 14hr day (twice weekly)? My son is 7 months old and will be minded in the minders house. Thanks!!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

About 5 euro an hour for those hours, once it is a regular weekly thing.
    Some might charge 30 a day or some might charge 40 for a 7 hour day..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Do you mean two 14 hour days?

Babies and toddlers want to sleep 11 or 12 hours at night. 7 to 7. That only leaves 12 hours in the day, not 14. What is the plan for Bedtime? If you are at work then, is the minder going to out them to sleep in a carseat? Or are you dropping them off asleep in the mornings and picking them up awake.

I can see that getting awkward as they get older. Is there anyone else who can pickup earlier?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

14 hour days are different , that is 2 sleepovers or 2 long days?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭luppy

Moonbeam wrote: »
    14 hour days are different , that is 2 sleepovers or 2 long days?

It's 2 long days...from 6am to 8pm...my husband and I do shift work and therefore long days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Hi luppy

I have done 12hr shifts too.

I dropped my son to minders at 7am and my husband collected at half 6. We paid 50 euro a day for this.

12 hr shifts are great as you get more days off in a week. And I assume you'll only need child care for 2 days.
    If the 2days are together would you consider child staying overnight? Might be easier maybe

But it is hard .

• Advertisement

Lisha wrote: »
    Hi luppy

I have done 12hr shifts too.

I dropped my son to minders at 7am and my husband collected at half 6. We paid 50 euro a day for this.

12 hr shifts are great as you get more days off in a week. And I assume you'll only need child care for 2 days.
    If the 2days are together would you consider child staying overnight? Might be easier maybe

But it is hard .

Thanks for that lisha!! I don't know if I could do overnight (I can see how it would work though)! He'll be minded 3 doors down from us and I don't think I could bear him being that close and not being with us! Although it is food for thought!

The early start and late finish will be the issues .
    I reckon you are talking 80-100 euro a day depending on the minder.

The early start and late finish will be the issues .
    I reckon you are talking 80-100 euro a day depending on the minder.

God, that's expensive! So I could be talking approx €720 a month...yikes! And it's not even full time!

If I wre you luppy I'd ask minder directly and see what she says.
    As its 3doors away maybe she could come to your s in morning and evening so baby is not too disturbed. Just another thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

While you think it's not full time it's two long ass days. normally child minders will cover 7-9 hours.

A problem you'll find also is you can't play off a child minder off a creche as none will be open at 6am.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Advertisement

anti social hours tend to cost more then a normal day.
    for a normal 8-6 day it is about 200 per week but once you go outside these hours minders tend to charge alot more because it is inconvenient but as it is regular and only 2 days a week then it might not be too bad for the minder.
    DO not forget to make sure that she is insured etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,900 ✭✭✭gifted

come september we will have 2 kids in a creche full time for 5 days and another doing after school, over €2k a month...:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

gifted wrote: »
    come september we will have 2 kids in a creche full time for 5 days and another doing after school, over €2k a month...:(

Omg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,900 ✭✭✭gifted

CaraMay wrote: »
    Omg

it hurts..a lot..:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I've done some long hours before with mine, hubbie is on days all the time, but sometimes is away for work. luckily I have my mum living near enough. She would come over early and bring the baby to crèche for me when I was doing very early starts.

The overnight is a good idea above. Or If she is only three doors up, maybe she could come to your house for the early morning, let the baby sleep on a bit. Does she mind other people's children at the same time?

Shift pattern can work out great with kids with the full days off. I'm sure you've tried this, but in my place, if there is a husband and wife both on shift, they try to get onto separate shifts, so their days don't overlap. One does mon tue wed, the other does thurs fri sat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I mind a baby on a part-time basis for parents who do shift work. Occasionally it involves a very early start and I mind the baby from 5am in the baby's house and then bring her back to my house when she wakes up or lift her just after 8am so I'm there for the other children I mind. On late shifts I could be minding the baby until 10.30pm - 11pm.

I hate the thoughts of waking a baby so early to bring to a minder's house even if it's only 3 doors away.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Goody2Shoes77

With regards to how much you should pay, that's up to your childminder really to set a fee and see what you make of it. I used to childmind (registered, that is). I had a baby come to me from 6 mths old at 5.30 am. Mum would wake her from her bed, bring her to mine (couple of mins. drive) and I'd have a bottle ready for her which little one would drink and go back to sleep for another couple of hours. Worked well with no issues. I did charge x 1.5/hr. for unsociable hours from 5.30 am to 8 am (at that time it was £7.50) then £5 per hr. from 8 am until 12.30 pm when she went home, 4 days per week.

You mention that your baby will be minded in minder's home, so technically she will be responsible for paying her own tax and insurance, the reverse would be the case if your baby were to be minded in your home, so fees could and probably would differ depending upon the route you take.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Have you considered hiring a nanny to come to your home instead?

It would work out about 140 a day in her own home by the time she pays at least minimum wage and prsi.

It would work out about 140 a day in her own home by the time she pays at least minimum wage and prsi.

If child care is only needed for 2 day a week then you could say 300euro (rounded up) would be the cost.
    If child is being minded at home then you would also need to factor in other associated costs to the home such as extra electricity, heating, food for child and minder, general wear and tear to house.
    While this might be expensive, down the line it might be the most cost efficient way if there is more than one child in the family.

Best of luck luppyI hope you get on ok going back to work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

It's so hard to justify working when you have to pay such high childcare costs, plus petrol etc.:( I know the overnight might seem like a good idea but remember, if you ask her to take the child overnight you also have to pay for overnight. You are asking her to be responsible for the child for 38 hours instead of 28 hours.

Best of luck.

Advertisement