Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DD-WRT

• 11-05-2013 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭

Recommend me a DD-WRT router please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭domeld

Asus RTN 16

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Sneachta

domeld wrote: »
    Asus RTN 16

Thanks for the reply
    Any reason why you'd recommend this one over others?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭homer911

Just check the dd-wrt database and the wiki - there are lots of supported routers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Sneachta wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply
    Any reason why you'd recommend this one over others?

http://promos.asus.com/US/ASUS_DD-WRT/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Plenty RAM and a good processor ( I used to run dd-wrt on an old linksys router and the thing used to overheat when downloading torrents). Asus also have a firmware restoration tool that you can download to restore it back to factory defaults in case you mess up. Lots of dd-wrt documentation for this router too.

I bought the RT-N66U which is better again (more RAM, faster wifi) but dd-wrt is not officially supported by Asus on it (yet) and it requires a bit of tinkering to get dd-wrt or tomato onto it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

TP Link TL-WR1043ND

Cheap and cheerful. I've one running DD-WRT and one running OpenWRT, no issues so far with either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭robcon

TL-WR1043ND is a very good recommendation alright and is €45 on komplett, €13 less than pixmania linked above.
    but i'd go for the more recent TL-WDR3600 @ €56.95
    http://www.komplett.ie/komplett/product/zkb_03netw/80008029/tp_link_wireless_router_tl_wdr3600/details.aspx
    sweet price too! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

Hi,

I am using the TP-Link WR1043ND too, and has run open-wrt (better than dd-wrt in my book!) for the last 6 months without any issues.

The only thing to be aware of is that you MUST first downgrade the router to a german firmware (available on the TP-Link website) before you flash the open-wrt image. If you don't do this you have a router with no WAN port!

Ken

Advertisement