Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what's the best child-friendly, small dog out there?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Josie (grey) is here draped across the armchair in her bright pink fleecy day coat. :D

Agree on keeping greys indoors. But maybe OP you're only assuming that your dog will have to be outside during the day when you're not there? There are a whole host of reasons why it'd be better to have them in the house while you're out. The dog's comfort and safety are number one. The noise nuisance to neighbours is another.

Also think about whether the dog is going to sleep indoors at night or outside in a kennel or shed. That set-up wouldn't suit a toy breed as they crave human company, and even large breeds can suffer from the cold, if they're short-coated. Puppies are definitely not suited to sleeping on their own outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭dtipp

There would be no one at the house from noon to five each week day, so I only meant the dog would be out the back during those hours. I intend on allowing the dog access to the house, though probably only downstairs. There is a shed in the garden and so shelter from rain but I'd intend that the dog sleeps in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

dtipp wrote: »
    There would be no one at the house from noon to five each week day, so I only meant the dog would be out the back during those hours. I intend on allowing the dog access to the house, though probably only downstairs. There is a shed in the garden and so shelter from rain but I'd intend that the dog sleeps in the house.

Great news :)
    In that case, unless you absolutely prefer a small dog, I wouldn't confine your choices as such. If you rescue an adult dog, they will be fine outside for a few hours with a hot water bottle and a bed and some toys, but that wouldn't really be suitable with a puppy. However, crate training would be the way to go if you wanted to protect the house and let the dog be inside while you're gone!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Just to update this thread,
    Inexile recommended OP to check out an website which represents a number of different rescues, which I removed due to the charter rules re not linking to rescues.
    However, after discussion and due consideration, it seems unfair to have applied this rule in this instance, as there wasn't one rescue being pushed on the OP, which is what that rule is all about.
    For this reason, I have reinstated Inexile's full post, and apologies to Inexile for the inconvenience.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Tisserand

I have a Maltese. He lives inside the house and while I don't have kids, he is great with my very young nieces. Would recommend this breed based on my own experience but perhaps other boardsies might have had a different experience?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭dtipp

Just as an update:

I've emailed a local Animal Rescue explaining my plans and situation etc, so we'll see what they say.

Thanks all for comments.
    I have to admit, if I hadn't posted here, I might well have gone the donedeal ad route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

WIZE wrote: »
    West Highland Terrier

I say this as i have 2 never an issue with kids pulling out of them

christ no! too quick to temper. in fact a certain rescue that deals with westies wont rehome them to a home with children under 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

dtipp wrote: »
    Just as an update:

I've emailed a local Animal Rescue explaining my plans and situation etc, so we'll see what they say.

Thanks all for comments.
    I have to admit, if I hadn't posted here, I might well have gone the donedeal ad route.

This post has made my day!:D Well done for considering the rescue route dtipp, it's so rewarding to open your heart and your home to a rescue dog and you will be teaching your children compassion towards animals. It really is a lovely thing to do.

Best of luck and hope it all works out well for ye!

Advertisement