Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help reading parents address

• 11-05-2013 6:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭

Hi just wondering if anyone can make out the parents address for this marriage on irishgenealogy.ie

Its the fourth one down, robertus wiggons and Anna boyle. I have a census record for Robert where it says he is from lisdowney co Kilkenny but I'm not sure this marriage says lisdowney and I'm trying to find more info on Anne as she had died before the 1901 census

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/reels/st_lawrence_mf_1853-1880_ma_0502.pdf

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭tanoralover

I think it does say Lisdowney - the upstroke of the 'd' is just missing. I'm not sure what it says in between the lines but the wife's parents address looks like 5 Hawkins St.

Rootsireland.ie has a birth record for Ann Boyle, daughter of Dominick and Catherine, in Westmeath in 1861.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭tyview

oh brilliant thank you very much, must get that record!

Hawkin's street... didn't see that at all but can kind of make it out now. I was thinking the line in between may have been late of ... but cant make anything else. This family is driving me a bit mad at this stage though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

Between the lines it says something like 'pater mortuus' (father dead). Similar notation in other entries.

Don't know if you're familiar with Latin but word endings change and this would affect meaning http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/mortuus

'Pater mortuus' would mean one of the fathers is dead - but this depends on (a) me reading it correctly and (b) the quality of the priest's Latin (sometimes dodgy). You might already know about the fathers anyway.

Just to add, Catherine Boyle's birthplace on the 1901 census was transcribed incorrectly. It should read Kildallan, Westmeath.
    CeannRua wrote: »
    Between the lines it says something like 'pater mortuus' (father dead). Similar notation in other entries.

Don't know if you're familiar with Latin but word endings change and this would affect meaning http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/mortuus

'Pater mortuus' would mean one of the fathers is dead - but this depends on (a) me reading it correctly and (b) the quality of the priest's Latin (sometimes dodgy). You might already know about the fathers anyway.

I concur. Great catch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭tyview

CeannRua wrote: »

Thanks for that, I saw the ate and came up with 'late' but will remember it for future records. I don't have a clue about latin. I am none the wiser on the fathers either. Finding it very difficult to come up with a death for dominic or any other record. I am seeing double looking a the screen all day for him :)

I will check out kildallan records too tanoralover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

Just to add, Catherine Boyle's birthplace on the 1901 census was transcribed incorrectly. It should read Kildallan, Westmeath.

!

i have come across Killallon on the meath-westmeath border - have not heard of kildallan........is it a townland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

mari2222 wrote: »
    i have come across Killallon on the meath-westmeath border - have not heard of kildallan........is it a townland?

Kildallan is a townland - details as follows :
    Townland Name : Kildallan
    Acres: 248
    Civil Parish: Templeoran
    Barony : Moygoish
    Poor Law Union : Mullingar
    County: Westmeath

There's also a townland named Kildallan North in the same civilparish consisting of 257 acres.

Advertisement