Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour etiquette

Options
  • 11-05-2013 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

My husband , 11month old son and I moved into our rented house in October 2012 and we have never had any problems with our neighbours until the last week .

We live at the end of a cul-de-sac and we have one car and only room for one car in our driveway.
    The house across the way have two spaces in there drive way for there two cars yet they insist on parking both there cars outside there driveway roughly 10 inches away from there drive and at an angle .

My husband drives into our drive when he comes home and reverses out in the morning going to work , lately its been very awkward for him to reverse he has to make more of an effort insted of going straight back like he used to.

The new neighbours moved in just over a week ago and everything was fine they were parking in there own drive way but then one day they just stopped and i wouldn't mind if they were doing work in there lawn or driveway and it was only temporary but there not they seem to be just doing it out of ignorance. they have no consideration for any of the other neighbours who have to turn at the bottom of the cul-de-sac or us.

Its impossible to try and talk to them as they don't stay long outside for you to talk to them eg they were home one day and the postman went to the door and rang the doorbell and knocked on the door and they wouldn't answer it.

I get awfully stressed as i don't understand how people can be so ignorant and just cant be neighbourly and polite it would make life so much easier.
    Has anyone had similar issues as mine and how did you deal with them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Talk to them. If they don't get he point, have your husband head out at 6am one morning that the cars are blocking the road and wake them up to move the car. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I feel your pain. We have a driveway too which is good for our one car. One of our neighbours have three cars and a double driveway, so often the third car's outside our house. The other neighbour has two cars, but just a single driveway. It's not often we have guests, but frequently there's nowhere for our guests to park!

Double driveway neighbour's generally pretty considerate. On the odd occasion they've asked if their guests can park across our drive for a sec whilst they pop in & out. No problem. The other neighbour? They and their guests frequently park across out drive without care or consideration for us!! I've often had to ask them to move their cars.

I nearly lost it last weekend. Two car neighbour had guests. The guests didn't park across their drive. Oh no!! Far be it for them to park somewhere else. They didn't even ask!! And my heavily pregnant friend was coming for coffee. Nowhere for her to park. Neither would my husband let me go into the neighbour to ask their guests to move their fcuking car as he didn't want to upset them....

I hate ignorant neighbours!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Call to the door and have a chat. If you can't actually catch them when they are in, then maybe a note on the offending car. Nothing agressive obviously. Chat is always best. We had neighbours before who were plagued by the people next to them. Teenage kids, each with a car, and parents each with a car. They couldn't get in or out. A cross note was left in anger... Followed by them having their living room window smashed by a rock a week later. You can imagine how neighbourly relations went from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

Generally speaking, unless it's a matter of life and death, my recommendation is to avoid complaining to neighbours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Generally speaking, unless it's a matter of life and death, my recommendation is to avoid complaining to neighbours!

THis is great advice.
    You'll immediately be the one with the problem and god knows how Long you'll be Living beside these people.
    So it's a bit Hard to get the Car out sometimes, on the scale of things it's not a problem. If they're ignorant, fine, let them be. Don't draw them on you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

When it's an issue of life or death, their cars will be blocking your driveway, and they won't be home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

My husband drives into our drive when he comes home and reverses out in the morning going to work , lately its been very awkward for him to reverse he has to make more of an effort insted of going straight back like he used to.

You husband should reverse into the driveway and drive out. What is it with people who drive head first into their driveway? It is dangerous and illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Kosseegan wrote: »
    You husband should reverse into the driveway and drive out. What is it with people who drive head first into their driveway? It is dangerous and illegal.

Can't say I've ever heard that one before. Have you a link to that legislation ?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭FaganJr

It is dangerous and illegal.

That is SO Hilarious & Wrong! WOW!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

What is it with people who drive head first into their driveway? It is dangerous and illegal.

where did you pull that one out of... Would you mind posting a link to the actual law that prohibits you from driving into your drive way :rolleyes:

Besides why should the op's husband have to drive around a car to access his drive. I hate ignorant neighbours.

Also it is illegal to block access to another persons land without their permission.

• Advertisement

Duiske wrote: »
    Can't say I've ever heard that one before. Have you a link to that legislation ?

It is illegal to reverse from a minor road (the driveway) to a main one (the public road).

Joined with that is the matter of having a limited line of site from most driveways.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Victor wrote: »
    It is illegal to reverse from a minor road (the driveway) to a main one (the public road).

Joined with that is the matter of having a limited line of site from most driveways.

Cul De Sac is NOT a MAIN Road! Nor is any housing estate Road a Main Road!

And most importantly a "Driveway" is NOT a ROAD, FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

The wording is actually "from another road onto a major road". You can't just decide to upgrade a driveway to the status of a public road and a cul-de-sac in an estate to the status of a major road and then claim it illegal to reverse out of your driveway.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/...zsi182y1997a12
    Reversing

12. (1) Before reversing, a driver shall ensure that to so reverse would not endanger other traffic or pedestrians.

(2) A driver shall not reverse onto a major road from another road.

(3) A driver shall not reverse from a place adjacent to a public road onto a public road save where it is clear to the driver that to so reverse would not endanger other traffic or pedestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 MrsLimerick

I don't live next to a major road were a good bit away from a major road thanks for your comments =]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

op, i feel your pain. I live on a street in a town centre with pre-paid or permit parking. the useless warden turns a blind eye to people who know him resulting in my wife finding it bloody awkward with our 2 month old son and all his stuff!

You've a few options
    1. accept you live in an estate and anyone else has just as much right to park there as you.
    2. approach the neighbour and in the nicest possible wording ask the neighbour to change their ways
    3. if 2 above doesn't work, you can revert to 1 or things can escalate. if you're dealing with an ignoramous it'll really get in on you or even blows

you dont want to move cos of it but at least you've the option unlike apes like me who bought during the boom:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Round my way everyone parks by driving into their space and departs by reversing out of it. One day I was about to reverse out of mine and just at the last second before I was about to accelerate a 5 year old kid came running after a football behind the car. I was dam lucky I saw him at the last moment. Since that day I always reverse into the parking space so I have a full front on view when exiting, to do otherwise is just asking to knock over a kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

That is one of the reasons why I always reverse into a space. The amount of times I've narrowly avoided either having my car hit or getting run over by drivers too stupid or too careless to look properly drives me mad...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Generally speaking from experience and from the experience of other posters on similar threads before, ( http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056844849/1 ) it is going to take several "chats" for them to cop on to the trouble they are causing.
    Simple solution might be for you to park across your own driveway, which may encourage them to use their own space properly.

RATM wrote: »
    Round my way everyone parks by driving into their space and departs by reversing out of it. One day I was about to reverse out of mine and just at the last second before I was about to accelerate a 5 year old kid came running after a football behind the car. I was dam lucky I saw him at the last moment. Since that day I always reverse into the parking space so I have a full front on view when exiting, to do otherwise is just asking to knock over a kid.

Isn't it amazing what you can see when you use your mirrors.. :D

A kid running out in front of a car can happen as you're driving along the road so should we all walk so as to avoid this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Ah just park the car where they normally park. They'll get the hint soon enough. In my apartment block, my neighbours have 2 cars but each apartment has only one assigned spot. There are visitor spots as well. For a few days, they decided to take my spot as it was beside their spot rather than park 2 spaces down in the empty visitor spot.

One day the timing was perfect and we managed to be driving into the estate together. One of them driving in front, me and then one behind. The one in front pulls into my spot so I pulled into their spot. Cue the confused looks and he actually then has the cheek to say, 'that's my spot'. I told him he was in mine and he just said ah she didn't want to park further away. I was off work so left my car in their spot for a few days. They've left my space free now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

Troll methinks

Troll methinks
    If you have a problem with a post, report it. Do not discuss it on thread.

FaganJr wrote: »
    That is SO Hilarious & Wrong! WOW!

Road Traffic (Traffic And Parking) Regulations 1997 (Consolidated)
    S.I. No. 182 of 1997
    up-to-date to January 20, 2013
    reg. 12 Reversing

B–762
    12. Reversing
    (1) Before reversing, a driver shall ensure that to so reverse would not endanger other traffic or pedestrians.
    (3) A driver shall not reverse from a place adjacent to a  public  road onto a  public  road save where it is clear to the driver that to so  reverse would not endanger other traffic or pedestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

S.I. No. 182 of 1997
    reg. 12 Reversing

B–762
    12. Reversing
    (1) Before reversing, a driver shall ensure that to so reverse would not endanger other traffic or pedestrians.
    (3) A driver shall not reverse from a place adjacent to a  public  road onto a  public  road save where it is clear to the driver that to so  reverse would not endanger other traffic or pedestrians.

A driveway would be "a place adjacent" rather than "another road".

S.I. No. 182 of 1997
    reg. 12 Reversing

B–762
    12. Reversing

That's a poor defense you're just proving the opposite to your statement.

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    That's a poor defense you're just proving the opposite to your statement.

Far from it. What have I proven? In most cases it is impossible to know that it is safe to reverse. There are garden walls or hedges and gate piers adjacent to most driveways. Mirrors offer little help given the viewing angles. Best practice is to reverse in and drive out.

Far from it. What have I proven? In most cases it is impossible to know that it is safe to reverse. There are garden walls or hedges and gate piers adjacent to most driveways. Mirrors offer little help given the viewing angles. Best practice is to reverse in and drive out.

Yes best practice. Massive difference from your previous post about it being illegal which clearly it isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We reverse into driveway and drive out. We live on a busy road, reversing out would be difficult and possibly lethal. Point for Escape as my dad says.

I think point three above applies in the legislation also.

Mirrors still give you blind spots. Think of that binman who reversed over the three year old.

pwurple wrote: »
    Mirrors still give you blind spots. Think of that binman who reversed over the three year old.

Which was an unfortunate accident and not really related to this thread. We're talking about parking your car in a drive way not reversing a 20 ton lorry up a narrow lane.

Perhaps if a bit more attention was paid to driver education at an earlier age we wouldn't have so many careless drivers over here.

• Advertisement

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    Yes best practice. Massive difference from your previous post about it being illegal which clearly it isn't.

It is illegal. There is a saver if the driver clearly knows it is safe. That can really only happen when there is someone directing the driver from the road. Sitting in a car with your back to the public road and reversing out is not safe other than in very limited circumstances. Those limited circumstance do not amount to a "massive difference".

Advertisement