Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where have all the good QWERTY phones gone?

Options
  • 11-05-2013 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

While the samsung + apple duopoly duke it out trying to make the best touch screen slab phone the other types of phone have fallen into obscurity and all thats left is a few Apple and Galaxy S4 fanbois who think im not right in the head for not wanting one of those phones

Any of the samsung QWERTY android phones are very low end, I had one and it wasn't up to much.

I have never had a blackberry, I didnt like the look of the OS and I dont like the idea of all my emails being re-routed through RIM's own company servers.

Anything interesting on the horizon? Im also not interested in (blah) new predictive text app for touch screens or a bluetooth keyboard.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I think Nokia have something in the works with a QWERTY keyboard due out soon enough.

In fact, here it is http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_asha_210-5417.php

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Kichote

Ah yes I seen that, was thinking of getting a different asha but like the samsung android qwerty phones its real Fred Flintstone spec stuff. It wouldnt really be a step forward from the E63 I have now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

The new blackberry would be the only option i would consider for qwerty.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The new blackberry would be the only option i would consider for qwerty.

Yep, only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Was looking at a slightly out of date Sony xperia pro that comes with a slide out qwerty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Gatling wrote: »
    Was looking at a slightly out of date Sony xperia pro that comes with a slide out qwerty
    You can upgrade that to Jelly Bean, it also has 512MB of RAM, so should run fine.

As an alternative, you could consider the new Blackberry Q10 which is getting rave reviews by all accounts.

I am still using my Nokia E7 which I love (even though it drives me mental at times). You could probably pick one of those up new from Ebay for small money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Querty seems to be dying out. My E71 died and I'm on a cheapo Samsung E2222 and while the keyboard buttons are ok, the software is quite poor which slows down typing considerably. Ultimately I'm as quick with a smartphone and a virtual keyboard, currently I'm using Swype. Swype didn't work that well for me previously but perhaps it was because the phone was too slow. Current smart phone seems much more responsive. That said I still find the Apple keyboard the best of all the virtual ones I've used. The other problem I had with the Querty phones is a lot of them has poor camera's. The E63, E71 are quite poor, as is my E2222.

Motorola did some querty's like the Milestone 2. As did HTC. Never tried them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Used a loaner HTC desire z for a couple of weeks, great over all device a bit large for my liking ,
    The xperia pro comes with the cmos R camera from the xperia arc 8.1 megapixel job with expandable memory up to 32gb for €160 from amazon its not a bulky device either

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

You can upgrade that to Jelly Bean, it also has 512MB of RAM, so should run fine.

As an alternative, you could consider the new Blackberry Q10 which is getting rave reviews by all accounts.

I am still using my Nokia E7 which I love (even though it drives me mental at times). You could probably pick one of those up new from Ebay for small money.

Reviews are coming in quite positively for the Q10, which is good because the reviews of the Z10 were a let down.

The only -real- downside is that the Q10 will apparently be in the €600 market, which is imo overpriced for a Blackberry phone these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Kichote

That is an awful price alright but it should drop fairly fast. My 9500 didnt cost that much, during the celtic tiger

• Advertisement
Advertisement