Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neighbour etiquette

• 11-05-2013 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

My husband , 11month old son and I moved into our rented house in October 2012 and we have never had any problems with our neighbours until the last week .

We live at the end of a cul-de-sac and we have one car and only room for one car in our driveway.
    The house across the way have two spaces in there drive way for there two cars yet they insist on parking both there cars outside there driveway roughly 10 inches away from there drive and at an angle .

My husband drives into our drive when he comes home and reverses out in the morning going to work , lately its been very awkward for him to reverse he has to make more of an effort insted of going straight back like he used to.

The new neighbours moved in just over a week ago and everything was fine they were parking in there own drive way but then one day they just stopped and i wouldn't mind if they were doing work in there lawn or driveway and it was only temporary but there not they seem to be just doing it out of ignorance. they have no consideration for any of the other neighbours who have to turn at the bottom of the cul-de-sac or us.

Its impossible to try and talk to them as they don't stay long outside for you to talk to them eg they were home one day and the postman went to the door and rang the doorbell and knocked on the door and they wouldn't answer it.

I get awfully stressed as i don't understand how people can be so ignorant and just cant be neighbourly and polite it would make life so much easier.
    Has anyone had similar issues as mine and how did you deal with them?

Just to make clear i know i dont have any right to the road outside my driveway

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Down with that sort of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

After Hours may not give you the answers you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Get your husband to park at an angle outside your house.

Or

This may be a bit left of centre........when they are out, burn their house down!

Or

Keep sending them envelopes of poo, hopefully they will move after a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Do they have any pets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Get your husband to park at an angle outside your house.

Or

This may be a bit left of centre........when they are out, burn their house down!

Or

I like all of these options. Definitely do these OP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

shotguns usually do the trick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Buy yourself a big fcuk-off tractor. They won't be long learning to park their cars out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Yeh get him to park partially blocking there entrance for a few days or hire a big bastard of a JCB park it outside their gaf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

Tell him to reverse into the drive when he comes home, easier to drive out in the am, problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 TheLB

On my road a few years ago there was a spate of people's cars getting their tires slashed and side mirrors broken etc. The Gardaí suggested everyone park their cars into their drives.

• Advertisement

Loopy wrote: »
    Yeh get him to park partially blocking there entrance for a few days or hire a big bastard of a JCB park it outside their gaf.

big **** off jcbs are better though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Perfectly acceptable in this day and age to eat their children and/or sleep with their significant other, all can be done before the house is to be burned down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

get your hubby to drive the car straight through their front window, open the car door and ask them politely to not do it anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Look OP,

If you are not here taking the pee pee out of us generous, sexy, knowledgeable boards folk.

I suggest that whatever you do, do it soon as they are not moved in long. The longer it goes on, the more they will try to get away with.

They are new, so are testing what they can and can not get away with in the Cul-de-Sac.

Assert your authority before it's too late. Get your husband to go over with a petrol can full of water and knock on the door. If they ignore him, knock on the window, shake the can and pour the contents on their cars.

They wont be long opening the door for a bit of face to face........or fist to face.

Its impossible to try and talk to them as they don't stay long outside for you to talk to them eg they were home one day and the postman went to the door and rang the doorbell and knocked on the door and they wouldn't answer it.

I get awfully stressed as i don't understand how people can be so ignorant and just cant be neighbourly and polite it would make life so much easier.

Haha, OP you're ridiculous!

Example of a thing that's impossible: Me giving birth to a half-rabbit/half-snake.
    Example of a thing that's totally possible: You telling your neighbour about the problem.

Them not hanging around outside their house, and on one occasion not answering the door to the postman, does not make it impossible to talk to them. You can hardly call them ignorant when you're the one sitting at home with no idea why they're parking the way they are, just hoping that they'll read your "awfully stressed" mind and change their habits.

Maybe they had to keep moving one car to let the other out, and they didn't think they were doing any harm by parking that way. Maybe they're just doing it to annoy their weird neighbour. Either way you need to toughen up and talk to them!

go over with a petrol can full of water and knock on the door. If they ignore him, knock on the window, shake the can and pour the contents on their cars.

They wont be long opening the door for a bit of face to face..

*notes for future ref*

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

Either talk to them about it, or if they won't answer the door just put a note through their letterbox saying its causing you some hassle. To be fair I doubt there's anything you can really do. If he's still able to get out of the drive then you may just have to put up with it. In the estate I live in people park all over the place and block each other in and all sorts. Just get on with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Catphish

HondaSami wrote: »
    Tell him to reverse into the drive when he comes home, easier to drive out in the am, problem solved.
    Not really. It's only facilitating their ignorance to the issue.

op I wouldn't wait to try catch them in the garden, what's stopping you from knocking on their door and explaining your problem to them? If it is something they are doing intentionally tell your husband to park on the road to make it easier for him to leave. While you can come across decent people who didn't realise they were causing a problem there are also the sort that are just pricks. Not much you can do if it is the latter unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

This is a completely crazy suggestion but, if all of the above fail after multiple attempts (the definition of insanity after all is trying the same thing again and again yet expecting different results), you could perhaps try talking to them. Now, hold onto your hats here folks, I'm not talking about sending them a polite message over facebook, or maybe a short and sweet tweet, nor am I even talking about a firm but polite message via text, no, what I'm suggesting is a full frontal meeting to facilitate a conversation about the problem you're having with their parking.

Try all the other stuff first though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

My husband drives into our drive when he comes home and reverses out in the morning going to work , lately its been very awkward for him to reverse he has to make more of an effort insted of going straight back like he used to.

And they say suburbia is boring.

This is a completely crazy suggestion but, if all of the above fail after multiple attempts (the definition of insanity after all is trying the same thing again and again yet expecting different results), you could perhaps try talking to them. Now, hold onto your hats here folks, I'm not talking about sending them a polite message over facebook, or maybe a short and sweet tweet, nor am I even talking about a firm but polite message via text, no, what I'm suggesting is a full frontal meeting to facilitate a conversation about the problem you're having with their parking.

Try all the other stuff first though.
    Did you not read the bit about the postman knocking on the door and they didn't answer.

They're clearly impossible to deal with.

• Advertisement

Catphish wrote: »
    Not really. It's only facilitating their ignorance to the issue.

op I wouldn't wait to try catch them in the garden, what's stopping you from knocking on their door and explaining your problem to them? If it is something they are doing intentionally tell your husband to park on the road to make it easier for him to leave. While you can come across decent people who didn't realise they were causing a problem there are also the sort that are just pricks. Not much you can do if it is the latter unfortunately.

The house is across the road from the OP, if he cannot reverse out of his driveway then he should not be driving imo. They are not blocking the driveway or anywhere near it from what i read.
    I think the OP is complaining about nothing tbh, these neighbours only moved in a week ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ladysarastro

Maybe the way they have parked their cars is hampering curtain twitching...

The house is across the road from the OP, if he cannot reverse out of his driveway then he should not be driving imo. They are not blocking the driveway or anywhere near it from what i read.
    I think the OP is complaining about nothing tbh, these neighbours only moved in a week ago.
    I agree that a week is a bit too soon to be angered over it, if it was an ongoing problem I could fully understand. The flip side of that would be that it could be nipped in the bud sooner rather than later. I can't see why the op can't introduce herself, as they are new neighbours after all. It would do no harm to drop it into conversation that her husband is having trouble getting out of the garden. I think it's a bit unfair to say that the husband shouldn't be driving. All the op is saying is that it is awkward for him, not that he can't get out altogether.

I'd much rather politely explain a problem to a neighbour rather than let it fester. You could be around your neighbours for a very long time, start as you mean to go on, be considerate towards one another.

I agree that a week is a bit too soon to be angered over it, if it was an ongoing problem I could fully understand. The flip side of that would be that it could be nipped in the bud sooner rather than later. I can't see why the op can't introduce herself, as they are new neighbours after all. It would do no harm to drop it into conversation that her husband is having trouble getting out of the garden. I think it's a bit unfair to say that the husband shouldn't be driving. All the op is saying is that it is awkward for him, not that he can't get out altogether.

I'd much rather politely explain a problem to a neighbour rather than let it fester. You could be around your neighbours for a very long time, start as you mean to go on, be considerate towards one another.

Honestly if it were me and someone from across the street had trouble reversing from their driveway because i parked outside my house i would laugh at them while closing the door.
    Unless the road is extremely narrow and their driveway's are touching, there has to be ample room for cars to park on the road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 305 ✭✭Jimminy Mc Fukhead

You could play a game of Hide the Car with them. It's lots of fun.
    To play you may need to borrow skates and a tow.

During the night you tow their car to a random location about twenty miles away. Park it up on some road or cul de sac.
    See how long it takes them to find it - days weeks or whatever. Then see can they beat that record when you move it again the day after they find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

The OP could try having a polite chat with the neighbours and explain the problem and see if that solves the problem. It might be an idea to write down what you would say to them in person in case they don't answer the door. If they don't answer just pop it in the letter box if you have it with you when you call it'd save having to make a return visit. Nicey nicey first and take it from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

You should probably find something to fill you life with instead of agonising over the things you can catch a glimpse of through your curtains.

Honestly if it were me and someone from across the street had trouble reversing from their driveway because i parked outside my house i would laugh at them while closing the door.
    All I can say to that is I'm glad we're not neighbours. I wouldn't exactly speak to my neighbours on a day to day basis, but I've a good rapport with them and we've helped each other out in the past. All thats needed is a polite request. laughing and shutting the door on someone is just rude.
    HondaSami wrote:
    Unless the road is extremely narrow and their driveway's are touching, there has to be ample room for cars to park on the road.
    The house across the way have two spaces in there drive way for there two cars yet they insist on parking both there cars outside
    They won't put any of the cars in the garden though. Would it really be that much of a hassle to use their drive way? It's an easily rectified problem so long as it is put politely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I feel your pain - the ignorance of some
    People is overwhelming. Try knocking & explaining & being reasonable first . If neither are parking in their own driveway chances are they are ignorant & have been behaving like this all their lifes.

Do you know the landlord? If not ask some other neighbour if they have their details & contact the landlord. & start making complaints to them. Ask them to address it. No landlord wants hassle - people ringing & complaining. The time to stop it is now otherwise it will become an ongoing nightmare.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

There has been too much violence, too much pain.
    None here are without sin.
    I am gravely disappointed.
    Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war.
    Look at what remains of your gallant scouts.
    Why? Because you're selfish!
    You hoard the parking spaces

Now, my prisoners say
    you plan to take your cars out of the cul de sac.
    What a puny plan!
    Look around you.
    This is Limerick
    See!
    Nothing can escape! The Humungus rules Limerick!

But I have an honorable compromise.
    Just walk away.
    Give me the parking space, and I'll spare your lives.

Just walk away. I will give you safe passage to Limerick.
    Just walk away and there will be an end to the horror.
    I await your answer.
    You have one full day to decide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

People is overwhelming. Try knocking & explaining & being reasonable first . If neither are parking in their own driveway chances are they are ignorant & have been behaving like this all their lifes.

Do you know the landlord? If not ask some other neighbour if they have their details & contact the landlord. & start making complaints to them. Ask them to address it. No landlord wants hassle - people ringing & complaining. The time to stop it is now otherwise it will become an ongoing nightmare.

Are you serious? Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

Try saying what you said here only to them in person maybe they don't realise the hassle they are causing to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

People is overwhelming
    they probably aren't even aware there's a problem.
    ....an ongoing nightmare.
    Mrs Limerick's husband "has to make more of an effort insted of going straight back like he used to."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Head to your local town, find a skanger and give him a score to stand outside your house for an hour or two holding a screwdriver.

No sane person is going to park beside him! Clearly he's threatening the paintwork

They won't put any of the cars in the garden though. Would it really be that much of a hassle to use their drive way? It's an easily rectified problem so long as it is put politely.

The only one who has a problem is the OP's husband.

You cannot be serious.
    They might own the house for one thing and secondly it's not a crime to park outside your house. You really think any landlord is going to care about the neighbours across the street complaining about his tenants parking outside their own house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

My parents live on a road with a school on it, and around the corner from Beaumont Hospital which meant the gate was constantly blocked with people picking up their kids, or employees too cheap to pay the parking fees in the hospital. If you have kids a game of football between them and your husband where to ball 'accidentally' hits off the car a few times is a decent deterrent.

The time to stop it is now otherwise it will become an ongoing nightmare.
    The horror!

If only somebody would think of the children.

Sometimes, I walk down the street...

and other people try to use the street too...

and I have to, well, slightly alter my course in order to get by them. Sometimes I have to walk a whole three inches away from my usual path. It's so upsetting. I just don't understand how people can be so ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Knock on the door and talk to them? Is that not obvious?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Schnitzel Muncher

OP, how narrow is the road? Why can't your husband reverse into the driveway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

Maybe they found a hidden safe and have lost all reason?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Training neighbours to park in their drives is like training a puppy to pee outside. In the same way as you eventually move the puppy's pee newspaper to the back door for them to pee on, what you need to do is hire a forklift, then in the dead of night move their cars back into their driveway.

Persistence is key here, keep at it and they'll eventually learn to park in the drive. If they're a bit slow on the uptake, you could try waiting outside your house and if they park there, whack them on the nose with a rolled up newspaper or spray them with a water gun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

The horror!

If only somebody would think of the children.

Sometimes, I walk down the street...

and other people try to use the street too...

and I have to, well, slightly alter my course in order to get by them. Sometimes I have to walk a whole three inches away from my usual path. It's so upsetting. I just don't understand how people can be so ignorant.
    try that in a manual wheelchair as their over the edge parking makes the difference between being able to access some paths and not,up at mine its full of path edge parking,makes some busy roads completely inacesible.

@toots.
    am personaly more a supporter of electric shock collars,zap em when theyre misbehaving,waste of a good newspaper tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭Toshi101

leave an "anonymous" note on their car stating you are the citys hero in the face of injustice and that this spits in the face of society. for added effect leave some kind of hero logo like a Z or a bat keyed into their car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

Have a 4.30am party Sunday, Monday mornings, invite everybody except your Nieghbours,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I have to say OP, I have seen the "empty driveway" but cars parked outside phenomenon.
    It can be tormenting to residents and is best dealt with in a direct fashion asap.

As they say op....
    "Better set your stall out quick":D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

have you tried shouting at them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

if you choose this option DONT use your own poo or poo from any of family or pets.... poo can be dna tested.

send the poo from one of your other awkward neighbour's pets that way it sets off the awkward neighbours into a **** storm of an arguement while you take a back seat and enjoy the show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Take off and nuke their house from orbit

They are idiots not to use their driveway that's for sure with no respect for their cars. I would love to be able to put my car on the drive so that other idiot drivers are not putting dents on it but me having a permit and my house mate being too lazy to get one means I'm always on the street. These clowns are then making it worse by parking in a place that could very well result in their cars getting hit.

You should just go over and tell them to cop on, your husband should really be reversing into the driveway anyway regardless it's a much more sensible way to park.

• Advertisement
Advertisement