Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who here hates nightclubs?

• 11-05-2013 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭rox5

I am 20 year old female and for some reason I have come to realise that I hate nightclubs. It breaks my heart having to pay an entrance fee of 10euros, and only able to afford two cheapest drinks available, not enough to get me drunk enough to enjoy the overly loud music and overcrowding. So I am sober and bored out of my mind, trying to get drunken geezers and creeps to keep away from me in a place that is meant to be "great craic" and I am only 20.
    I started off going to pubs in my countryside but disliked them because was too many people I knew, too much gossip and drama because the countryside is where everyone knows everyone, and also I did a lot of my immature, drunken crap in those pubs, so that rep is pretty hard to shake off. So I couldn't wait to go to the nightclubs in town, but after two years of the nightclub scene I never thought I'd see the day where I want to go back to the pub scene and to those particular pubs, the people won't change but at least I wont be totally broke by the end of the night and it is not as crowded, even on a birthday party.

I dunno I feel like a boring auld one for hating nightclubs, is there anyone else my age who feels the same?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

I'm a 21 year old female, I'd much rather a pub with good company and a bit of trad :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Give me a late bar, with a good band anyday before a club.

Don't you hate pants?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

You need to discover predrinking and sneaking in yourself a naggin.

Then the nights get a whole lot better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

What's your alternative suggestion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Pub with a good crowd around you, and good music, preferably irish trad or something along those lines and im happy!

Late 20s here but have felt that way since same age as you, clubs are a waste of time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Ya I'm a 21 year old female and I agree. Any other 20-21 year old females fancy a slumber party and drinkies in mine? I'll send my older brother around with his van to collect you if you like. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

Nightclubs are grand if you're drunk.

They are a nightmare if you're sober.

A late bar with free entry and a dance floor beats a nightclub every time though.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Try to avoid them whenever possible, generally end up having a terrible night.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Who goes to a nightclub sober? You don't go to a nightclub to get drunk, you go when you are already drunk.

Drink somewhere else first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Schnitzel Muncher

I hate nightclubs. Waste of money to get in, loud, packed and many have toilet attendants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

I haven't been going to nightclubs much for the last year, just pubs and house parties. I honestly find myself missing the clubs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

My girlfriend and I are the same, she is 22 and i'm 23. We often laugh at how old we feel, we both can't stand the horrible loud music and the sauna like environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭rox5

SV wrote: »
    You need to discover predrinking and sneaking in yourself a naggin.

Then the nights get a whole lot better

That's true, only managed to get drunk one night because a guy I was talking to kept buying me drinks, and it made the night a lot better when your in a drunken daze, lol. :cool:
    It was not that great though when the same guy tried to lead me into a bathroom :confused::eek: Hence another reason why I don't get drunk in nightclubs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Haven't been to a nightclub since the mid 90's and don't care if I never see one again. I did far too much clubbing in those days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

rox5 wrote: »
    That's true, only managed to get drunk one night because a guy I was talking to kept buying me drinks, and it made the night a lot better when your in a drunken daze, lol. :cool:
    It was not that great though when the same guy tried to lead me into a bathroom :confused::eek: Hence another reason why I don't get drunk in nightclubs

Prick tease :P

awec wrote: »
    Who goes to a nightclub sober? You don't go to a nightclub to get drunk, you go when you are already drunk.

Drink somewhere else first.

Impossible to do that when bouncers turn you away if you are drunk. :o

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Impossible to do that when bouncers turn you away if you are drunk. :o

Well, obviously not that drunk where you look like you're stupid.

Bouncers won't turn you away for being drunk, they'll turn you away for being a messy drunk who's obviously on their last legs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Nightclubs aren't all full of lads trying to get you into the bathrooms, maybe he just needed to use the toilet and didn't want you going anywhere?

Seriously though, just predrink. Cans of Kepplers I find do the trick, 4 for a fiver and they're 6% each and very easy to drink, being cider.
    Add a naggin of vodka for a fiver and you're pretty much sorted drinkwise for a tenner without getting absolutely shítfaced. (Or very shítfaced depending on your tolerance)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

HAAAATE them with a passion. Trying to talk to someone just turns into a chore when **** Nicky Minaj songs are blasting into your ear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭DaithiMa

The trick is (if you are getting on a bit which I am) to choose your nightclub carefully. Avoid those places that will be full of teenyboppers and pick somewhere where you know the music will be to your liking, and the crowd will be of a similar age. I know that is hard to do down the country where selection is limited, but in Dublin there are clubs to suit most ages and tastes. I wouldn't go out to them as much as I used to, but when I do I usually enjoy it because I know what I am gonna get-good tunes and a good crowd.
    Now i'm in the mood to go out tonight damn it. I hear the twisted pepper calling....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'm a non-drinker so ya, I hate them. Full of drunken idiots and people being taken advantage of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

As soon as i enter a club ( i go by myself ), i can visibly see women look at me then turn around and tap there friends before pointing in my direction.

They do this with a face of disgust. Unable to comprehend how a human being can be so ugly, they must alert their friends of what they have seen.

So no, i don't really like clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I remember, this one time at band camp, I went to a nightclub without planning to take ecstasy... that was silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

you`re essentially looking for love in a loveless environment...still can be great craic as long as you`re locked upon entering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Ya I'm a 21 year old female and I agree. Any other 20-21 year old females fancy a slumber party and drinkies in mine? I'll send my older brother around with his van to collect you if you like. :)

Since when have you had a van ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Couldnt agree more with the OP tbh, I havent gone to one since I think when I was about 20/21 where I did kinda enjoy it but that was before I found rock bars/cheap drink nights and the like it was from then that I actually had FUN and enjoyed myself on nights out tbh :D
    26 now and if I go to a nightclub now its usually because of a friends birthday or something or a themed one like 80s etc with cheap drink promos, I just cant bring myself to pay more than a fiver, or anything, tbh, just to get into a bar, just seems stupid imho, and then ridiculous prices on drink too :rolleyes:
    I understand that some people just predrink and sneak drink in, nothing wrong with that, but to me if I had to do that on a night out Id much rather buy some drink and stay in with my own company/few dvds etc, makes more sense to me in that case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'm a 65 year old man and I love nightclubs. Go every week.:)

I have always hated nightclubs! I don't like the music, I generally only listen to rock and alternative rock, I'm not into hooking up, I HATE dancing, I hate the vibe, I know exactly where you're coming from!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Late bars ftw, paying 12 quid to queue for most of the night is a pain in the hole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

In our local nightclub (average age 18) there is a 30 - 40 year old man every single weekend, creeping on all the women. We found him on Facebook one time, total knob. Has a kid, works in "de dole queue" and posts the typical sh!te statuses you'd expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'm a 65 year old man and I love nightclubs. Go every week.:)
    Prodigious wrote: »
    In our local nightclub (average age 18) there is a 30 - 40 year old man every single weekend, creeping on all the women. We found him on Facebook one time, total knob. Has a kid, works in "de dole queue" and posts the typical sh!te statuses you'd expect.
    I'll take that as a compliment.:)

We have a guy like that too, me and my mate were dancing (or trying to when you are literally squashed in between crowds) and my mate had to pull me away because the guy had literally followed us on to the floor, staring at me all the time and he would be 40-50 years old. Creepy as hell. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

Just have your 6/8 cans and then go in. Its not that hard to work out.

Just go out and get the shift and stop being a cock tease.

You get the shift and he might buy you a drink and a curry chip after town while he mucks into your kebab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

Just find certain events on in certain night clubs, like decent bands playing, music themed night etc. You're in the country, i lived in a rural spot for a while and the night clubs in that town where brutal, same chart music nonsense playing, full of muppets, in dublin its not too bad theres 1 or 2 decent spots with good music and decent people, might be a bit more limited where you are. I hate the usual night club scene in this country as well, always have, and im only 24.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭DeltaWhite

I'm 26 and I have hated them for years, all of them are absolute dives in Dublin City Centre. The only place I like is Pygmalion, chilled out, no scummers and there's even a Colin Farell lookalike dude serving behind the bar :pac: (or should I say wannabe!)

I much prefer pubs, Nightclubs are just sh*tholes, unless someone out there can tell me the name of one that isnt a kip...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

they're too loud and crowded, and yes I avoid anything that fits that description

I don't drink, but I still enjoy going to clubs. Good atmosphere, bit of craic, don't see any harm in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

They're not for everybody. If you're not outgoing then you look a bit awkward. What you then have are people trying to compensate for that by becoming drunk and messy, which makes the situation even worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

You drink in a pub and you fly in a nightclub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

just take a few pills and enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cosmicfox

Yeah I'm around the same age. I think I wouldn't mind them so much if it wasn't for the high prices and creeps. And the fact that I never feel comfortable dancing even when I've drinking( I never actually get drunk due to aforementioned creeps).

I don't drink, but I still enjoy going to clubs. Good atmosphere, bit of craic, don't see any harm in it.

So how is the night club business these days?

lkionm wrote: »
    So how is the night club business these days?

At 17 years old? I wish :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

At what age are you to old to go to a night club?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Start eating yokes before going out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

Cosmicfox wrote: »
    Yeah I'm around the same age. I think I wouldn't mind them so much if it wasn't for the high prices and creeps. And the fact that I never feel comfortable dancing even when I've drinking( I never actually get drunk due to aforementioned creeps).

Part of the reason that they're being creeps is that bars and clubs are quite often the only places where guys actually meet the opposite sex. That's quite sad but it's unfortunately true. The blame has to be placed on our culture, which revolves around drinking and going to bars and clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Haven't been to a club in years, prefer to relax in the pub until 5 or 6, or if going for a really late one, head to the early morning markets for some food and live music.

At 17 years old? I wish :rolleyes:

You have much to learn, young padwan.

Top tip, always wet the tip of the finger.

Crouching prodigious, hidden finger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

krudler wrote: »
    Late bars ftw, paying 12 quid to queue for most of the night is a pain in the hole
    There aren't queues like that these days surely? Last i saw queues like that was in the late 90's to early 00's. They sucked big time but drink was cheaper then and there was none of this sneaking in drinks malarkey. Standard saturday night out started at around 20:00 but big nights out started maybe two hours earlier.
    Only designated drivers were sober in nightclubs and i had the misfortune of being one a few times. I'd get normal conversation for an hour then it gradually got more nonsensical as the night went on. By 23:00 or so they were down to random shouts at each other and random verbal abuse for no apparent reason! Funny as feck when i think about it.
    I'd love to go clubbing now though.
    Podcasts just don't do it do they?

• Advertisement
Advertisement