Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need to use my US passport?

Options
  • 11-05-2013 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

I am an Irish citizen who spent 10 years in the US - in my tenth year there I got my American passport but then due to a death in the family I had to return the same year to Ireland - that was over 20 years ago and now I want to go on a holiday to the US but I am unsure as to whether I should renew my US passport and travel on that - I really don't want to - aside from the hassle of renewing my US passport there does not seem any reason not to travel on my Irish passport as my stay is less then 90 days which means I do not require a visa.

I did go to the US embassy site and it said "Operator Assisted Visa Information is available and is charged at Euro 2.44/minute"! but there is no email for queries like mine (that I can see)

Anyway if anyone is in a similar situation and knows the correct answer to my query which is can I travel on my Irish passport I would appreciate your input

BTW to save us time please do not guess the answer as I dont want to find out its wrong at immigration:) - I need to hear from someone who knows the correct answer to this,

Thanks, Partoc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Not a definitive answer, but according to this site, dual citizens are expected to use their US passports to enter and leave the US. I know that other countries (e.g. Japan) have the same rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'd take the Department of State's opinion as definitive.

Yes, you are expected to use your US passport if you have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 partoc

excellent - So its on the US passport I shall travel. thanks to you both.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Does the US even recognize "dual" citizens? I didnt think so.

If you have a US passport now then you are a US citizen, You took the US citizenship oath right? I dont think you can walk away from it by just not using the passport.

So you'll have to renew(?) the US passport and use that.

And be careful of the IRS because US citizens should be paying taxes (or filing a tax return at least) even when living abroad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

InTheTrees wrote: »

If you have a US passport now then you are a US citizen, You took the US citizenship oath right? I dont think you can walk away from it by just not using the passport.
    Yes, they do. They don't encourage it, but even with the oath you aren't forced to give up your other citizenship in most cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

So you'll have to renew(?) the US passport and use that.

And be careful of the IRS because US citizens should be paying taxes (or filing a tax return at least) even when living abroad!

It's a grey area.....they don't force you to give up your passport when you become a citizen, but as far as they are concerned you are a US citizen and past that they don't really care. But the previous posters are correct about the expectation to use your US passport.

It's a grey area.....they don't force you to give up your passport when you become a citizen, but as far as they are concerned you are a US citizen and past that they don't really care. But the previous posters are correct about the expectation to use your US passport.

Yeah I was reading the dept of state page on it.

Basically some countries regard you as a citizen if you're born there so its possible to be a "dual" citizen without having made any decision to be. So they could hardly penalize people for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Agreed. I don't want to alarm you, but this is something that I would definitely look into before you go. US citizens living overseas are required to file a US tax return every year. You don't have to pay the US govt any taxes, as they'll credit you what ever taxes you pay in the country that you are living in. But you are still supposed to file a tax return each year. The Customs and Immigration officials may very well ask you about this when you present yourself upon re entry, when they see that you have been gone as long as you have. The INS have an office attached to the US Embassy in London, if you want to give them a shout to see what you need to do.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    The Customs and Immigration officials may very well ask you about this when you present yourself upon re entry, when they see that you have been gone as long as you have. The INS have an office attached to the US Embassy in London, if you want to give them a shout to see what you need to do.

Also remember that professional legal advice is a really good idea before talking to any government agencies.

Not being a US citizen I dont know what questions they'll ask when you go back. I know the Irish dont ask me anything when I go home, you flash the passport and you're through, they'd have no idea how long I was gone (or that I'm living in the USA).

Advertisement