Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How tpo get registered for road UAD 150cc type

• 11-05-2013 9:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

The parking costs are killing me and most of Europe the quads are parked in with the motor bikes and the running costs could be lowwer in smaller engine sizes

I saw this add on done deal

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/quads/5014105

he says the following
    Suzuki king quad for sale its a 2005 300cc quad. it has 2 and 4 wheel drive. it has a high and low gearbox very clean and reliable quad. it has a new battery and great tyres. its a road registered quad which is very hard to get nowadays as quads cant be registered anymore.
    any questions call or text

Price: € 2,650
    the last thread on the subject is 2006 so left it alone dint want that closed on me
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=52082280

So is it now the case you cant get a Quad registered or is this just sales hype from this sale

I prefer to get newer type and smaller engine 150cc 2 wd as I don't need very fast speeds or hill climbing its just for commuting city regions and saving on fuel and parking with some lesser less risk to fall on my rear end with wet roads like two wheels do Been there done that got the T shirt no more 2 wheel bikes for me and the Piago 3 wheel scooter is mad money for what it is
    I can get in France a no name 150cc with French plates for slightly less than €3000 new so figure can I import it and use it in Eire on the roads

Derry

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Man up and get a bike :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

i dont think registering it is the problem its the insurance which will be the biggest hurdle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭9935452

derry wrote: »
    The parking costs are killing me and most of Europe the quads are parked in with the motor bikes and the running costs could be lowwer in smaller engine sizes

I saw this add on done deal

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/quads/5014105

he says the following
    Suzuki king quad for sale its a 2005 300cc quad. it has 2 and 4 wheel drive. it has a high and low gearbox very clean and reliable quad. it has a new battery and great tyres. its a road registered quad which is very hard to get nowadays as quads cant be registered anymore.
    any questions call or text

Price: € 2,650
    the last thread on the subject is 2006 so left it alone dint want that closed on me
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=52082280

So is it now the case you cant get a Quad registered or is this just sales hype from this sale

I prefer to get newer type and smaller engine 150cc 2 wd as I don't need very fast speeds or hill climbing its just for commuting city regions and saving on fuel and parking with some lesser less risk to fall on my rear end with wet roads like two wheels do Been there done that got the T shirt no more 2 wheel bikes for me and the Piago 3 wheel scooter is mad money for what it is
    I can get in France a no name 150cc with French plates for slightly less than €3000 new so figure can I import it and use it in Eire on the roads

Derry

AFAIK you wont be able to register a quad here anymore. they stopped in 2008/2009. They need to be tested by the EU to be able to register them but the name brands honda/suzukis/yamahas etc wont pass the test.

There are some chinese quads that have passed , you will see them advertised in donedeal, but personally i would keep a wide berth, if you buy half price you will end up buying twice.

Also forget about all the ads saying a quad is road legal, its only road legal if its got a set of number plates for it, indicators dont matter , if they were never fitted day one they are not required, As the guards said to me, as long as you can be seen when you are giving hand signals you are ok.

As regards insurance, FBD are the only ones i know who insure quads but it is farm use only and they are strict about this. I have a 08 420 honda and i was basically told by them it was farm use only and if it was modified at all i had to tell them otherwise no cover.

One other thing you are not thinking about is if you are using it as a runabout, it liable to be stolen. They are easy to move on, just take off the number plate and put it on done deal.
    Another thing is you will end up being stopped by the guards over and over. As they said to me , if they see a quad on the road they will stop it to make sure it is insured and taxed

I hope this helps you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

9935452 wrote: »
    AFAIK you wont be able to register a quad here anymore. they stopped in 2008/2009. They need to be tested by the EU to be able to register them but the name brands honda/suzukis/yamahas etc wont pass the test.

There are some chinese quads that have passed , you will see them advertised in donedeal, but personally i would keep a wide berth, if you buy half price you will end up buying twice.

Also forget about all the ads saying a quad is road legal, its only road legal if its got a set of number plates for it, indicators dont matter , if they were never fitted day one they are not required, As the guards said to me, as long as you can be seen when you are giving hand signals you are ok.

As regards insurance, FBD are the only ones i know who insure quads but it is farm use only and they are strict about this. I have a 08 420 honda and i was basically told by them it was farm use only and if it was modified at all i had to tell them otherwise no cover.

One other thing you are not thinking about is if you are using it as a runabout, it liable to be stolen. They are easy to move on, just take off the number plate and put it on done deal.
    Another thing is you will end up being stopped by the guards over and over. As they said to me , if they see a quad on the road they will stop it to make sure it is insured and taxed

I hope this helps you

yes this is proving to be a problem
    When I go Spain / France they are millions of quads all number plated and parked everywhere where motor bikes are as always mostly with good chains

Looks like the only way is to buy one in Spain France with EU road legal approved with french spain plates and import it here and
    Then it looks like they are boxed in to the EU rules they have to accept it as if is is road use in EU the IRl has to accept it. Also the insurance can start for me in other EU region and the Irish insurance companies cannot refuse to ensure me best i can see as they have to follow the EU rules as well best I can figure .
    Anyway whats the big deal a 150cc Qaud isn't that fast often a lot slower than many 150cc scooters as the scooter has only got to turn 2 wheels and I don't generally rip along fast its town traffic stuff

Derry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

derry wrote: »
    yes this is proving to be a problem
    When I go Spain / France they are millions of quads all number plated and parked everywhere where motor bikes are as always mostly with good chains

Looks like the only way is to buy one in Spain France with EU road legal approved with french spain plates and import it here and
    Then it looks like they are boxed in to the EU rules they have to accept it as if is is road use in EU the IRl has to accept it. Also the insurance can start for me in other EU region and the Irish insurance companies cannot refuse to ensure me best i can see as they have to follow the EU rules as well best I can figure .
    Anyway whats the big deal a 150cc Qaud isn't that fast often a lot slower than many 150cc scooters as the scooter has only got to turn 2 wheels and I don't generally rip along fast its town traffic stuff

Derry

Insurance company may well quote you to cover themselves legally but that quote would probably be excessive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

piaggio threewheeler is looking a better prospect by the minute :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Btw a quad uses more juice than a bike and has to queue with cars as well as park like one. A Yaris would be better and cheaper.

A quad is the worst of both worlds.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement