Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

solar panel to caravan roof

Options
  • 11-05-2013 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all, I recently purchased a solar panel for my caravan and I was wondering what is the best adhesive to get the plastic corner mounts to stick to the roof of the caravan. I would appreciate your input.
    Thanks Ger.

Comments

Silkaflex would be my first choice.
    Serious Stuff by Evostick my second.

Actually, bracketing it onto a real roof rack would be my first choice truth be told.

It'll perform 40% better it you can incorporate some tilt mounts and face it at the sun. Can't remember off the top of my head but it's something like 40° tilt in summer and 60° tilt in winter for optimum efficiency.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ger97

Thanks Sir Liamalot, I was looking at sikaflex or maybe Wurth bond and seal dont know which is best, unfortunatly there is no roofrails on the caravan

If in doubt get both and test them with a crowbar on a sample of glued aluminum I guess.
    Sometimes being able to remove a thing with reasonable force is a good thing.
    Tech 7 is good for when you never want it coming apart again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 fliper

You could try uhu. I believe it's amazing the things it will glue!!:

• Advertisement

I have suggestions for uhu but i think we are regulated here so i cant comment

Well Fliper you were the one that said you had a tube of adhesive in the shed, a good ploy we spent 3 hours cleaning your shed looking for in and didn`t find it I might add, but the shed is clean and I`m no farther along mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

I stuck a 100w panel to the roof of my camper a few months ago and no issues. Used silkaflex which is ideal for the job. Have 2 tubes left over and had them up for sale.

Got a tube yesterday and stuck it on. Any idea how long is best to leave it setting

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

I left it a week but I would say a few hours would be fine. I done a pull test about 1 hour after sticking it and there is no way you would pull it off.

If the silkaflex is gone hard thats it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Cure times are in the datasheets, if you use the primer activator its only 15 mins.

Advertisement