Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay bashing incident

Options
  • 11-05-2013 9:36pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Some here on the Sligo forum might have heard about this disgusting incident of
    gay bashing where a gay man died as a result of a serious assault a the hands of a man who has a previous conviction for assault.:(:mad:

http://www.gcn.ie/Man_Faces_Five_Year_Sentence_Over_Fatal_Homophobic_Attack

The family of the deceased man is very upset that the attacker only received a 5 year prison sentence for the violent assault. It also brings back memories of another violent homophobic assault on an American man by two Sligo youths about 15 years ago.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/victim-of-gaybashing-filled-with-forgiveness-29059188.html

Is Sligo a safe town for gay people? I've heard of several incidents of verbal homophobic abuse hurled at people attending an LGBT themed night at a local hotel.:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Is Sligo a safe town for gay people?

OP is probably better of asking is Ireland safe for Gay people? Some nasty incidents were highlighted there, but to give it some context, we are talking about a 15 year time span.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

I'd say there's more to that story, and the killer is just a psycho who would have used any excuse at all. I don't think it's any more homophobic than anywhere else and is in general quite safe. I worked at several annual gay events held at a hotel, must not have been the one you are referring to, because i never saw any trouble, nor would I have allowed it, the gay dudes were the only good tippers you ever got in the place lol.

There's always gonna be scum who will antagonize those who are different, esp in smaller towns, but Sligo is mostly nice enough people.

Advertisement