Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calzone

Options
  • 11-05-2013 9:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12

Anyone got any recipes or tips for a good calzone? I've never been a big fan of making my own pizzas because while I enjoy cooking I honestly don't find it any better than buying a good chilled pizza and adding my own toppings. I'd make the effort for a calzone though, which don't seem as readily available in supermarkets.

I don't have a pizza stone but I do have a pizza tray - metal yoke with holes in. Figured if I fire the oven up pretty hot it might do the job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Seriously, if you learn to make a good pizza dough and sauce, it makes all the difference. Pizza stones are brilliant, i recommend buying one. You cant even compare to a mass produced supermarket pizza.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Here's my pizza dough recipe, should work for the calzone too.

400 g plain flour, or 00 flour if you have it.
    1sachet dried yeast.
    0.5 teaspoon salt
    0.5 teaspoon sugar
    2 table spoons olive oil
    300 ml warm water
    1 teaspoon of thyme
    0.5 teaspoon of pepper

Mix olive oil, water and yeast in a jug. Stir.
    Sieve flour into bowl and add salt, pepper, thyme.
    Make crater in ingredients and add water.
    Mix for about 2/3 minutes till you have dough.
    Tip it onto a floured surface and knead until it has stopped being sticky. Add more flour if it is too wet.
    Put the dough in a bowl, cover bowl in clingfilm, and leave for 2 hours.
    It should double in size.

Above recipe would make 2 pizzas for me on those round trays.
    Unused dough can be frozen also, so if you make too much, don't worry.
    You could also add chilli flakes or mustard powder into the mix, instead of pepper.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 Discoland

beertons wrote: »
    Here's my pizza dough recipe, should work for the calzone too.
    Excellent thanks. There really isn't any more to a calzone than folding it over right? Obviously make sure it's sealed so it doesn't leak. Presume you can be more generous with the filling too.
    Overflow wrote: »
    Seriously, if you learn to make a good pizza dough and sauce, it makes all the difference. Pizza stones are brilliant, i recommend buying one. You cant even compare to a mass produced supermarket pizza.
    I know it doesn't go down well with a lot of people who are into home cooking, and believe me I love cooking, but there really are some things where the effort is not worth the result. Not that homemade pizzas aren't lovely but you can buy some very nice premade ones. Some people do manage to convince themselves that anything they've spent time and money making is better though, so I suppose to them it is.

It's a shame you can't get Warburton's square wraps in Ireland. Brush those with a bit of oil and some tomato puree/pizza sauce and you have an amazing pizza base that takes about 5 mins to cook!

Where are you based?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 Discoland

beertons wrote: »
    Where are you based?
    Galway. Are you about to offer a delivery service? :D

• Advertisement

Nah, I'd never leave if I went to Galway. Did a google there, forget about them. Still nothing better than fresh made bases. At least try mine for a few weeks first! Let me know what you think too.

Advertisement