Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running the community

Options
  • 11-05-2013 9:43pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Last couple of events have led to situations with things and I think we need some people to lead the offline scene.

There's the situation with our friends in town, new venues, and several other things. I love doing whatever for this community but some things have come to close to the bone and I basically can't be dealing with them at the moment.

Another problem- we need to look after our resources from running tournaments better. The last 2 or three tournaments I've lost several videos because I've been doing too much "running" of things. I'm not complaining, I volunteered- but for our future it'd be better if at an event I'm just looking after video stuff.

Then there's the gear. Nutrient needs direction what to buy and when.

Finally, we need to sort out this situation with our friends in town. It's running too long. There's a committee about but being honest there's not enough people active who were on it for it to matter. We need people to do this, and do it NOW imo.

I think we should also look into formulating a club or society from the IFGC, for the good of organising this stuff and making choices.

So I am looking for volunteers to do this now. In a month or two, when the various "emergencies" are dealt with, I believe we should then have a vote.

Off the top of my head, I can think of Dreddy, Voa, and Aileen who I think would do this and help deal with it, and would have the experience. AJ too, if he wants to.

If anyone has a problem with me doing it- well, I'm a member of the current committee, and I really think we need to do this. I don't want it to be permanent, but I think we need to do stuff NOW.

Talk and volunteer and stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Good ideas all round imo. I'm happy to volunteer if people are alright with me continuing to do this stuff. I can deal with the venues etc. from now on rather than you having to do a lot of that Doom.

Voa was saying to me today he plans to organise the next DOC soon and as far as I know Aileen is still addicted to organising stuff :pac:, so if you two are happy to be doing the TO duties on the day I think we'd be set for the foreseeable future (I'm happy to do TO stuff on the day as well).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

I know I'm new to the scene and really inexperienced with just about everything but I'd be more than willing to do whatever I can to help out at events, including showing up early etc if needed. Even if it's just to be an extra pair of hands carrying stuff / plugging stuff into stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I think first priority is to get the monitors from the Exchange to Dreddys (he volunteered to store them)

Sent them an email asking what times are free next week to collect them, is anyone available anytime next week to collect monitors and drive them to Dreddys? I'll try and arrange a pickup time.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I don't think we should give up completely on staying friendly with them, but the whole point is there should be a group of people making these decisions, instead of people talking them endlessly over.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Bento Sento

So basically what you are saying is that you want to set up the Irish fighting game illuminati. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

Of course I'll step up and run stuff, both organizing things behind the scenes and on the day. That being said, I will be of little use on the storing of equipment, and with no car or cash I can't volunteer any transport.
    I also can't give any recommendation on what the community pot should go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Goody2shoes15

Needless to say, I'm totally up for this. Organising and running things is basically the only reason I'm part of the FGC to begin with. :P I think Doom is right, having more of a society set-up will benefit us immensely. We can have a committee that makes the decisions, rather than having endless discussions as Doom pointed out. People's opinions will of course still be taken into account but things will get done more efficiently. It also gives people more defined roles and sets out what exactly they are expected to do. Nutrient is currently basically the treasurer, Doom is AV guy, other people are TOs etc.

I think best thing is to book the back room in the woolshed some night, get everyone there and have a proper meeting, everyone gets a say and we take an evening to hash out and vote on a structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Bento Sento

I think best thing is to book the back room in the woolshed some night, get everyone there and have a proper meeting, everyone gets a say and we take an evening to hash out and vote on a structure.

Irish people trying to get business done in a pub. Somehow I don't think that would go too well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

Nutrient is currently basically the treasurer

Image2_zps210c096e.png

Ok, for the time being, would Dreddy, Aileen (after her exams) and Voa be ok trying to sort out the Exchange thing? That is priority no 1.

We can talk about doing things democratically and giving everyone a voice AFTER this is dealt with.

• Advertisement

Ok, for the time being, would Dreddy, Aileen (after her exams) and Voa be ok trying to sort out the Exchange thing? That is priority no 1.

We can talk about doing things democratically and giving everyone a voice AFTER this is dealt with.

I'd be up for doing this but don't we need someone with a car more than anything...?

I'd be up for doing this but don't we need someone with a car more than anything...?

Onion has already offered.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying "take the stuff from the exchange". If you believe you can sort it out while calming them down, then do that. If you's believe you have to take them, then take them. We just need leadership right now.

Onion has already offered.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying "take the stuff from the exchange". If you believe you can sort it out while calming them down, then do that. If you's believe you have to take them, then take them. We just need leadership right now.

Ok in that case i'll arrange to have a meeting with them and hash things out, get the facts straight, anyone who feels they need to be there too PM me and we'll sort out a time that suits all of us. Fergus in particular, if you could PM me and let me know exactly what's been agreed/said already?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Sent them an email a day ago about organizing a time for picking up monitors, no reply yet, will keep this thread up to date with anything I get.

EDIT: Withheld it, forwarded details to Aileen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

I think trying to get monitors out of there ASAP until there's an upfront discussion about things and the future of us partnering with the Exchange might be jumping the gun a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭chunkis

how much are the monitors worth? Ill look after them

Advertisement