Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2013 Bord Gais U21Hurling Championship.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Pudders wrote: »
    Score please?

2-16 Tipp to 1-11 Limkerick

Barry Lynch has been superb since he came on for limerick.Along with Carmody and Dempsey the only limericj players that played well.
    Dan Mccormack and Forde and Hamill have been excellent for Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭wazzer1

Hamills a big one for the future. Amazing to think he hurls with a Junior B club. Fair play to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Yeah, Hamill was excellent. As were both midfielders, both McCormacks, Forde and Walsh was a handful who burned O'Loughlin a few times in the first half.

I blame poor tactics and decision-making for our loss though. In patches, we showed what we were capable of, but Tipp were much more fluid, seemed more skilful and their attackers were able to create space from themselves and take on players that much better. Doesn't bode well for the senior game though. Bar Carmody and Dempsey, one of them should definitely start.

Egan should have started, by the looks of it Barry Lynch too. And Mikey Ryan and Kevin O'Brien both made an impression, although O'Brien was another guilty of some terrible shooting. Hannon looked lethargic, Kenny was anonymous in midfield but scored a great goal. Reidy anonymous. Distribution poor. Very annoyed.

The Wexford U-21 hurling team and squad for the match versus Westmeath, this Sunday 2nd June has been named by manager JJ Doyle.
    1. Brian Murphy (Shelmaliers)
    2. Garret Foley (Fethard)
    3. Shane O’Gorman (Adamstown)
    4. Eoin Conroy (Naomh Eanna)
    5. Dermot O’Leary (St. Pat’s Camolin)
    6. Andrew Kenny (Buffers Alley)
    7. Colm Heffernan (Faythe Harriers)
    8. Conor O’Leary (Oulart)
    9. Jack Hobbs (Ballygarret)
    10. Dean Wright (Blackwater)
    11. Lee Chin (Faythe Harriers)
    12. Ian Byrne (Ferns)
    13. Barry Carton (Cloughban)
    14. Jack Guiney (Rathnure)
    15. Garry Moore (Glynn-Barntown)
    Subs:
    16. Sean Murphy (Monageer)
    17. Diarmuid Murphy (Blackwater)
    18. Rhys Clarke (Faythe Harriers)
    19. Niall Murphy (Crossabeg)
    20. Sean Kenny (Bunclody)
    21. Tony French (Adamstown)
    22. Syl Barron (Rathnure)
    23. Eoin Kelly (Geraldine O’Hallorans) 24. Liam Rochford (St. Anne’s)
    Extended panel: Peter Mernagh (Monageer) Thomas Owley (Tara Rocks) Ruari Tubrid (Fethard) Kevin Whelan (St. Anne’s) Nicholas Cullen (Oulart) Robert O’Leary (Buffers Alley) Sean Murphy (Buffers Alley) Aaron Kenny (Oulart) Conor Goff (Oulart) Conor Hughes (Naomh Eanna)
     Manager JJ Doyle
    Selectors Tommy Roche, Niall MacDonald, Larry Murphy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Yeah, Hamill was excellent. As were both midfielders, both McCormacks, Forde and Walsh was a handful who burned O'Loughlin a few times in the first half.

I blame poor tactics and decision-making for our loss though. In patches, we showed what we were capable of, but Tipp were much more fluid, seemed more skilful and their attackers were able to create space from themselves and take on players that much better. Doesn't bode well for the senior game though. Bar Carmody and Dempsey, one of them should definitely start.

Egan should have started, by the looks of it Barry Lynch too. And Mikey Ryan and Kevin O'Brien both made an impression, although O'Brien was another guilty of some terrible shooting. Hannon looked lethargic, Kenny was anonymous in midfield but scored a great goal. Reidy anonymous. Distribution poor. Very annoyed.

I would blame an awful first half performance, being cleaned in the half forward line and in midfield, and leaders like Hannon and Dowling not standing up. Dowling in particular was atrocious, attitude sucked.

I actually thought O'Loughlin was very solid at full back. Walsh got on a lot of ball at the start but he didn't get any shot in. And he cleaned him after that basically.

Barry O Connell was way to slow and totally at fault for the first goal. Suprised how poor the half forward line was considering how big they were. Thought they'd make some impression. In reality the first Limerick goal was fortuitous, desperate keeping. The second was a nice finish, but the game was up at that stage.

No improvement on last year overall.

Tipp were reasonably impressive. Very good performances in the backline from Breen, Hamill and Kennedy. Thought Brian Stapleton was very effective, and Niall O Meara probably had the most possessions of the forwards. Very intelligent hurler and well able to take his score, I was told he was better than Buggy and while the jury is still out on that tonight was a great showing from him. Jason Forde hit a few monster frees, and got some good points as well as the second goal. They're a forward line that thrives off good low ball and they saw plenty with Tipp's dominance around midfield and their halfback line.

It surely only gets harder from here though.

I was suprised with TJ ryan to be honest.
    He made bad calls with Egan and the fact Breen,and Reidy were left on and Aherne never got a run.
    Aherne has a superb first touch.
    I felt Ryan should of been moved to half back .He was not doing much at midfield.
    While Tj Ryan made mistakes some of the players have to take some of the blame.
    Some of the passes and striking was sub standard and particulary guys like Hannon and Dowling who are senior players and bags of expierence and a Munster medal behind them,never lead the rest of the team,and were awful in fairness.
    Tj cant be blamed for that.
    Dowling was clearly a shadow of the player he was two years ago.When you see a guy getting involved with another player with the game well and truly over it really shows the frustration coming out.
    I know Dowling has struggled with form but i was very suprised with Hannon.An easy free,by he's own standards missed at the start of the game to settle limerick and beaten to most balls ,he was really poor.This was he's 5th year at the grade ,and unless he was carrying an injury,he should really be better than tonight.What a poor way to play youre final game at this grade.
    Carmody and Dempsey ,I agree were superb.With Condon as well ye certainly will have no problem at senior level here.
    The worry that I would have for the senior game is Limerick really need Dowling and Hannon to have big games to rattle Tipp.
    Its hard to see them doing that on tonights perferomance.Breen is just out of minor but he done very well on Dowling.
    Credit to Tippereary,they deserved the win.
    They have fine players in MCormack,Walsh,Breen,O Meara and Cahill.
    Its easy to see why Hamill and Forde are on the senior panel.Their first touch as a team was excellent,and their was a pattern to their play.
    A home game against Cork in Thurles they will be hard to beat.
    I really thought this be a close game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I would blame an awful first half performance, being cleaned in the half forward line and in midfield, and leaders like Hannon and Dowling not standing up. Dowling in particular was atrocious, attitude sucked.

I actually thought O'Loughlin was very solid at full back. Walsh got on a lot of ball at the start but he didn't get any shot in. And he cleaned him after that basically.

Barry O Connell was way to slow and totally at fault for the first goal. Suprised how poor the half forward line was considering how big they were. Thought they'd make some impression. In reality the first Limerick goal was fortuitous, desperate keeping. The second was a nice finish, but the game was up at that stage.

No improvement on last year overall.

Tipp were reasonably impressive. Very good performances in the backline from Breen, Hamill and Kennedy. Thought Brian Stapleton was very effective, and Niall O Meara probably had the most possessions of the forwards. Very intelligent hurler and well able to take his score, I was told he was better than Buggy and while the jury is still out on that tonight was a great showing from him. Jason Forde hit a few monster frees, and got some good points as well as the second goal. They're a forward line that thrives off good low ball and they saw plenty with Tipp's dominance around midfield and their halfback line.

It surely only gets harder from here though.

Well, I think part of the reason we were cleaned out in the half-forward line and midfield was due to poor tactics. The movement from our forwards was atrocious, and the quality of ball being delivered from the backline was poor. And when we did get the ball, how many times did we play stupid crossfield balls and get them intercepted?

And some players didn't look sharp, our players were hooked and blocked a lot more than the Tipp players. Even when Tipp were in their own defence, their clearances seemed to come under a lot more pressure than us.

I thought the likes of Hannon and Dowling showed flashes of what they are capable of, caught a few good balls, won a few frees....but not enough, considering how talented they are. Largely anonymous which was very disappointing.

O'Loughlin was solid enough after a shaky start, but Walsh went past him 3 or 4 times early on, and he didn't look too solid for the penalty either. Carmody had to save him a couple of times early on. But yeah he recovered well.

In fairness, Tipp's second goal was a bit lucky itself.....but it was a real killer blow, it was the one time we actually looked like coming into the game, Ryan had started to pick up scraps around midfield....after being dominated by Tipp for large parts. Kenny was very poor.

I was impressed by Tipp, although that might just have been the contrast. One worry might be that the Limerick forwards did win a lot of primary possession in the 2nd half.....didn't do much with it, but an in-form Cork side might.

I'm rambling a bit now, I'm just really really disappointed.

Well, I think part of the reason we were cleaned out in the half-forward line and midfield was due to poor tactics. The movement from our forwards was atrocious, and the quality of ball being delivered from the backline was poor. And when we did get the ball, how many times did we play stupid crossfield balls and get them intercepted?

And some players didn't look sharp, our players were hooked and blocked a lot more than the Tipp players. Even when Tipp were in their own defence, their clearances seemed to come under a lot more pressure than us.

I thought the likes of Hannon and Dowling showed flashes of what they are capable of, caught a few good balls, won a few frees....but not enough, considering how talented they are. Largely anonymous which was very disappointing.

O'Loughlin was solid enough after a shaky start, but Walsh went past him 3 or 4 times early on, and he didn't look too solid for the penalty either. Carmody had to save him a couple of times early on. But yeah he recovered well.

In fairness, Tipp's second goal was a bit lucky itself.....but it was a real killer blow, it was the one time we actually looked like coming into the game, Ryan had started to pick up scraps around midfield....after being dominated by Tipp for large parts. Kenny was very poor.

I was impressed by Tipp, although that might just have been the contrast. One worry might be that the Limerick forwards did win a lot of primary possession in the 2nd half.....didn't do much with it, but an in-form Cork side might.

I'm rambling a bit now, I'm just really really disappointed.

I thought both Tipp's goals were poor from a Limerick perspective. There was so many bodies competing to win the ball that they should have won it. Given they didn't, letting Forde inside free on his own was pretty horrific as well.

I was down the opposite end to the penalty, it seemed though that whoever it was took a nice few steps but hard to be sure.

Hannon got a few scores from playing the loose ball, but I'd say he caught two balls in the whole game. He certainly wasn't the driving force Limerick needed him to be, the one he should be. What summed up Dowling for me was after ye went a good ways behind in the first half, he controlled a pass around the 21 with his back to goal, and then rather then take it on he drilled a pass backwards from goal as if he was taken a shot, impossible to control and Tipp came away with it out around there own 50. Didn't stand up in my opinion.

Whether it was tactical or execution is hard to say. Probably both I guess, but I dunno can how much you can blame the management for a lack of sharpness and poor decision making.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

That Limerick side is close to the softest I've ever seen on a hurling pitch. Tipp were pretty mediocre.

Clare should walk it if they are arsed.

Orizio wrote: »
    That Limerick side is close to the softest I've ever seen on a hurling pitch. Tipp were pretty mediocre.

Clare should walk it if they are arsed.
    I woudnt agree Tipp are poor.They did not look unbeatable,but they have a great workrate,play as a team rather than individuals,and play very good quick ball.They played to their strengths last night.They will only get better with a game under their belt.

Forde,Hamill,Mccormack,O Meara,Cahill.and Bill Walsh are all good hurlers.
    If they do meet Clare in the final,while Clare would be favourites and rightly so,I woudn't say they would walk it.
    An average Tipp team pushed them all the way in Ennis last year.
    To be fair to Ken Hogan he has created a good spirit and got the most out of he's teams in most of his ternure as manager
    Cork would certainly have the players to put it up to this Tipp team, but I would have no confidence in the management team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I didn't say Tipp were poor, I said they were mediocre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

So that's the U21 and the senior hurling if you are to go on other threads wrapped up by the banner. Tell me this should the rest of us bother at all or should we just send the 2 cups down to Innis

Wexford 1-15 Westmeath 1-10 Full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭One_More_Mile

I woudnt agree Tipp are poor.They did not look unbeatable,but they have a great workrate,play as a team rather than individuals,and play very good quick ball.They played to their strengths last night.They will only get better with a game under their belt.

Forde,Hamill,Mccormack,O Meara,Cahill.and Bill Walsh are all good hurlers.
    If they do meet Clare in the final,while Clare would be favourites and rightly so,I woudn't say they would walk it.
    An average Tipp team pushed them all the way in Ennis last year.
    To be fair to Ken Hogan he has created a good spirit and got the most out of he's teams in most of his ternure as manager
    Cork would certainly have the players to put it up to this Tipp team, but I would have no confidence in the management team.

Ken Hogan deserves a lot more credit than he receives, he's team put in a massive effort in Ennis last year when they were up against a superior force and were unfortunate to not get the result. If nothing else they have the application, workrate and organisation which makes them hard to beat.
    Limerick were very poor on the night, I shouldn't say any more

• Advertisement

I agree Hogan deserves a lot of credit.
    I know many tipp fans woudnt want him anywhere near the Senior team.I can understand why,he had he is chance,and wasnt really up to it.
    But credit to him,for hes success at U21.
    They are no where near the class of 2010,but their oranganisation,and attuitde friday night was first class.
    Limerick were poor,but tippeareary got stuck in from the start.
    That game will bring them on for the next day.And Meagher should be back for the Cork game in 7 weeks.
    For what a team may lack in skill at this grade,if you have the right attuide,and a good management team,that can get the best out of the players,and has the belief in the team,at the very least you can be competitve,more so here than at senior.
    Going on the scoreline of the Wexford Westmeath match today,it illustrates that.
    Westmeath ,away from home,and given no chance at all by the bookies made Wexford earn the win.
    Westmeath would be seen as a minnow in hurling,bt they deserve credit for only being beaten by 5 points.
    Westmeath missed a penalty i think.

I agree Hogan deserves a lot of credit.
    I know many tipp fans woudnt want him anywhere near the Senior team.I can understand why,he had he is chance,and wasnt really up to it.
    But credit to him,for hes success at U21.
    They are no where near the class of 2010,but their oranganisation,and attuitde friday night was first class.
    Limerick were poor,but tippeareary got stuck in from the start.
    That game will bring them on for the next day.And Meagher should be back for the Cork game in 7 weeks.
    For what a team may lack in skill at this grade,if you have the right attuide,and a good management team,that can get the best out of the players,and has the belief in the team,at the very least you can be competitve,more so here than at senior.
    Going on the scoreline of the Wexford Westmeath match today,it illustrates that.
    Westmeath ,away from home,and given no chance at all by the bookies made Wexford earn the win.
    Westmeath would be seen as a minnow in hurling,bt they deserve credit for only being beaten by 5 points.
    Westmeath missed a penalty i think.

Some very good underage hurlers in Westmeath at the moment. Have seen some of those lads first hand and they are seriously good. The work is going in there obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Some very good underage hurlers in Westmeath at the moment. Have seen some of those lads first hand and they are seriously good. The work is going in there obviously.

That Westmeath team lost narrowly to Offaly in 2010 and then beat them in the 2011 minor as far as I know, so no surprise that they gave Wexford a tough game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Wexford 1-15 Westmeath 1-10 Full time.

Half expected Westmeath to win that one, that's a seriously good win by Wexford. Westmeath at that level are very strong.

The Offaly U-21 hurling panel, announced by mentors Ger Coughlan, Aidan Hanrahan, Pat O’Connor and Liam Dunphy, for Wednesday’s (June 5th) Bord Gais Energy Leinster U-21 Hurling Championship quarter-final against Laois in O’Moore Park, Portlaoise at 7.30pm includes nine players that featured in Offaly’s only 2012 championship outing against Wexford.  The quintet of David King (Coolderry), Tom Carroll (Seir Kieran), Adrian Hynes (Seir Kieran), Sean Cleary (Shinrone) and Stephen Quirke (St Rynagh’s) all started last year’s Bord Gais Energy U-21 HC quarter-final on June 6th last year that Offaly lost by 0-10 to 1-19 at O’Connor Park, Tullamore and they will line again on this occasion. While Pat Camon (St Rynagh’s) and Michael Cleary (Shinrone), who were introduced as subs during the 2012 championship outing, are selected to start against Laois on Wednesday evening.  Meanwhile, David Magner (Ballinamere) and Aidan Treacy (St Rynagh’s), who started against Wexford last year, are included on the bench this time around.  Recently crowned Molloy Environmental Systems U-21 hurling champions Shinrone have two players included in the starting XV in the guise of twins Michael and Sean Cleary, while 2012 champions St Rynagh’s supply five of the team – Conor Clancy, Niall Wynne, Pat Camon, Sean Dolan and Stephen Quirke.  Offaly senior boss Ollie Baker will be keeping a close eye on proceedings ahead of Sunday’s Leinster SHC quarter-final against Kilkenny in O’Connor Park, Tullamore which throws-in at 2pm and will be televised live by RTE. Nine of the Offaly starting line-up to take on Laois - Clancy, Kelleher, the Cleary brothers, King, Camon, Gardiner, Carroll and Peter Geraghty – have been part of the senior panel during the course of the Bord na Mona Walsh Cup and Allianz Hurling League campaigns.  The Offaly team is ;  1 Conor Clancy (St Rynagh’s) 2 Niall Wynne (St Rynagh’s) 3 Dan Kelleher (Brosna Gaels) 4 Michael Cleary (Shinrone) 5 David King (Coolderry) 6 Pat Camon (St Rynagh’s) 7 Sean Gardiner (Lusmagh) 8 Sean Dolan (St Rynagh’s) 9 Aodhan Kealey (Kinnitty) 10 Sean Cleary (Shinrone) 11 Tom Carroll (Seir Kieran) 12 Peter Geraghty (Kilcormac/Killoughey) 13 Stephen Quirke (St Rynagh’s) 14 Thomas Geraghty (Kilcormac/Killoughey) 15 Adrian Hynes (Seir Kieran) 16 Kevin O’Connor (Kinnitty) 17 David Magner (Ballinamere) 18 Aidan Treacy (St Rynagh’s) 19 Shane Mc Kelvey (Shinrone) 20 Con Mahon (Kilcormac/Killoughey) 21 Andrew Browne (Kinnitty) 22 Colm Mulrooney (Birr) 23 Paddy Murphy (Ballinamere)24 Declan Parlon (Coolderry)

• Advertisement

Laois U21 Hurling Manager Tony Doran has announced his starting 15 for tomorrow's Bord Gais Energy Leinster Under-21 Hurling Championship clash with Offaly in O'Moore Park, Portlaoise. 1. Eoin Fleming (Borris-in-Ossory-Kilcotton) 2. Darragh Duggan (Portlaoise) 3. Gearoid Burke (Camross) 4. Oisin Carroll (St Lazerian's Abbeyleix) 5. Matthew Collier (Camross) 6. Bill Duggan (Clough Ballacolla) 7. Nathan Unwin (Rathdowney Errill) 8. James Ryan (Rathdowney Errill) 9. Ben Conroy (Castletown Slieve Bloom) 10. Paddy Purcell (Rathdowney Errill) 11. MJ Lalor (Ballypickas) 12. Stephen Maher (Clough Ballacolla) 13. Ross King (Rathdowney Errill) 14. Paddy Whelan (Borris-in-Ossory-Kilcotton) 15. PJ Scully (Borris-in-Ossory-Kilcotton) 

Id agree,steve,that westmeath side is no bad side.
    One of their lads,got 1-8 in the game,all from frees,but still sum going.
    So far with Jason forde from Tippereary, he is the top scorer in a game.
    Not many players,will do that in the grade,this season,you would imagine.
    Brian hanley is doing great work with Westmeath,and being involved in both the senior and u21 teams is helping them a lot.
    Dublin play Carlow,in the other semifinal,tommorrow at 7.3o in Parnell Park,the winners play Wexford.
    Ciaran kilkenny should be involved for Dublin.

The laois Offaly game,should be close.
    Having beaten offaly at minor,this season,and the seniors going well,there seems to be an air of confidence in laois hurling.
    Offaly ,are always a dangerous underdog.
    Conroy,and Scully were involved with their senior side,while Ross king is meant to be a super talent.
    He plays soccer with UCD.
    Laois beat Dublin last year.
    The winners play kilkenny in the semifinal.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cat in the sack

offaly 2-16 laois 2-15 offalys the underdog bite back again.

Im not suprised Offaly won,the fact they were the underdog,and Laois being in a unfamilar role as favourites.
    The championship ,3 games in,has been competitve so far,bar the Tipp limerick game,which suprisingly,was one sided.
    HoweverOffaly have a huge ask to even compete with kk the next day.
    I cant see Kk underestimating them either.

The Dublin team to play Carlow tommorrow night is

1. Conor Dooley (Ballyboden St Enda’s)
    2. Conor Murphy (Crumlin)
    3. Matthew McCaffrey (Lucan Sarsfields)
    4.Ross Mullins (Castleknock)
    5.Chris Crummy (Kilmacud Crokes)
    6.Jamie Desmond (Ballyboden St Enda’s)
    7. Sean Moran (Cuala)
    8. Cormac Costello (Whitehall Colmcille)
    9. Glen Whelan (Ballinteer St John’s)
    10.Ciaran Kilkenny (Castleknock)
    11.Danny Sutcliffe (St Judes)
    12.Conor McHugh (Na Fianna)
    13 Aodhán Clabby (Ballinteer St John’s)
    14.Eamon Dillon (Naomh Fionbarra)
    15.Fintan McGibb (Setanta).

The Carlow team to play Dublin is

1.Brian Treacy (Naomh Eoin)
    2 David Galway (Erins Own)
    3.Paul Doyle (St Mullins),
    4.Dion Wall (Ballinkillen)
    5. Diarmuid Byrne (Mount Leinster Rangers)
    6.John Corcoran (Erins Own)
    7.Gary Bennett (St Mullins)
    8.Craig Wall (Ballinkillen)
    9.Paul Coady (Mount Leinster Rangers)
    10.John Michael Nolan (Naomh Eoin)
    11.Darren Dalton (Ballinkillen)
    12.Martin Kavanagh (St Mullins)
    13.Peter Shaw (Naomh Bríd)
    14 James Doyle (Erins Own)
    15.Daryl Roberts (Ballinkillen).

That Dublin team looks too strong for Carlow.
    2 Senior footballers with Cormac Costello and Ciaran Kilkenny,and 2 members of the Senior hurling panel in Danny Sutcliffe and Eammon Dillion,the goal scorer from Saturday night,this team is full of potential future stars.
    Carlow have 12 senior players in their team.Hopefully it will be a competitve game.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Formosa

Go on Carlow....what a win!!!

1-13 to 1-11

Formosa wrote: »
    Go on Carlow....what a win!!!

1-13 to 1-11

That's unreal for Carlow. Fair play to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Just back from the game in Parnell Park, what a win!! Honestly thought we'd be hammered and I gave bad advice on gambling forum...plus lost 50 on this game.

But wow Carlow were the better team most of 1st half, then fell away near the end but came up with the winning goal. From Carlow u just expect it to be disallowed, it can't be right that Carlow actually have something go our way for once!! But it did happen...Carlow 21s at home to Wexford in semi.....bring it on

Stevecw wrote: »
    Just back from the game in Parnell Park, what a win!! Honestly thought we'd be hammered and I gave bad advice on gambling forum...plus lost 50 on this game.

But wow Carlow were the better team most of 1st half, then fell away near the end but came up with the winning goal. From Carlow u just expect it to be disallowed, it can't be right that Carlow actually have something go our way for once!! But it did happen...Carlow 21s at home to Wexford in semi.....bring it on

Fairplay, great to see. Really happy ye won that :)

Just saw this now.Absoultely delighted for Carlow.I thought Dublin would be too strong at home.
    Fair play,the shock of the Championship so far.In my opening post ,starting this thread,I had said that the suprise factor in this competiton is what it makes it so good.This is sum suprise in fairness.

A lot of people would have felt westmeath would have had a chance against Wexford,but not given Carlow any chance tonight.I see the bookies had this as a nine point handicap in favour of Dublin.This win has really sparked the competiton in to life.

Could you share some moments from the game??? Who stood out???

It looks like the 12 lads playing senior under John Meyler have certainly benfited from the expierence.

Just saw this now.Absoultely delighted for Carlow.I thought Dublin would be too strong at home.
    Fair play,the shock of the Championship so far.In my opening post ,starting this thread,I had said that the suprise factor in this competiton is what it makes it so good.This is sum suprise in fairness.

A lot of people would have felt westmeath would have had a chance against Wexford,but not given Carlow any chance tonight.I see the bookies had this as a nine point handicap in favour of Dublin.This win has really sparked the competiton in to life.

Could you share some moments from the game??? Who stood out???

It looks like the 12 lads playing senior under John Meyler have certainly benfited from the expierence.

Think they should probably split Carlow into Carlow North and Carlow South before they become too strong :) :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

That's unreal for Carlow. Fair play to them.

Fair play to me too! Backed Carlow on a hunch; a hunch that Dublin hurling has hit a ceiling and is falling earth-wards quite rapidly.

Really have no problem with Dublin succeeding, and I sincerely hope they do for the purposes of competition, but I've said it on forums before, they have to learn to walk before they can run. The club scene must first become stronger and stronger and produce a steady supply of quality players. Not easy in a county (city) where football will always be the sexier option. An AI club title would IMHO be a major step forward and should be set as an achievable goal, even more so than a Minor or U-21 title.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Brilliant, well done Carlow.

That must be one of the biggest upsets of all time in any grade

Think they should probably split Carlow into Carlow North and Carlow South before they become too strong :) :pac::pac:
    Yeah i heard Ollie baker view on Tipp and Cork being split to two teams at senior.
    Anyway back to the main topic.A superb night for Carlow,and hurling.The championship has been extremely competitve in all games bar the Munster game which was a banker to be the most competitve.What is truly remarakable is these young lads won in Parnell park.

I Hope TG4 show the game with Wexford.They deserve more exposure and that can only help promote hurling in further up there.

Well done to all involved with Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Who is managing the Carlow u21's?

Brilliant, well done Carlow.

That must be one of the biggest upsets of all time in any grade
    Must be up their in fairness for a non hurling County.Must surely be up their with Kerry beating Waterford Hurlers at senior in the early 90's.Again a non hurling stronghold beating all the odds.

The fact Dublin have spend so much money in underage hurling makes it more of a shock that Carlow bridged the gap tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Well done to the Carlow hurlers. Go on and beat Wexford now and a Leinster Final appearance. Dubs beaten by Laois last year and Carlow tonight. Gaa won't be happy but a great day for under resourced counties. Fair play Carlow!

Yeah i heard Ollie baker view on Tipp and Cork being split to two teams at senior.
    Anyway back to the main topic.A superb night for Carlow,and hurling.The championship has been extremely competitve in all games bar the Munster game which was a banker to be the most competitve.What is truly remarakable is these young lads won in Parnell park.

I Hope TG4 show the game with Wexford.They deserve more exposure and that can only help promote hurling in further up there.

Well done to all involved with Carlow.

Absolute defeatist horses*it to be honest. Nonsense proposal. I think there is merit in Donal Og Cusacks proposal on Sunday alright but in all honesty alot of the failings in promoting the game is down to dictators over each of the county boards who try to stifle the weaker code in any given county.

This kid Marty Kavanagh is only 18/19 i believe? An unbelievable talent and i can remember reading on the Carlow People last year his post match comments where he said he'd hurl everyday of the week if he could he loves the sport so much. Brilliant to hear that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

Must be up their in fairness for a non hurling County.Must surely be up their with Kerry beating Waterford Hurlers at senior in the early 90's.Again a non hurling stronghold beating all the odds.

The fact Dublin have spend so much money in underage hurling makes it more of a shock that Carlow bridged the gap tonight.

Carlow got to a leinster minor final a while back. A lot of these players get exposure to hurling in Kilkenny as they enter some of the competitions in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

Absolute defeatist horses*it to be honest. Nonsense proposal. I think there is merit in Donal Og Cusacks proposal on Sunday alright but in all honesty alot of the failings in promoting the game is down to dictators over each of the county boards who try to stifle the weaker code in any given county.

This kid Marty Kavanagh is only 18/19 i believe? An unbelievable talent and i can remember reading on the Carlow People last year his post match comments where he said he'd hurl everyday of the week if he could he loves the sport so much. Brilliant to hear that.

I have 4 kids here and they do hurl every day ;);)

Carlow are a GAA county in particular who face enormous competition from Rugby. Tullow RFC and Co Carlow are institutions within the county who have a conveyor belt of talent emerging from both clubs.

Very hard for hurling and football even to gain momentum and personnel in the face of such a draw. Youngsters see the success of the likes of Sean O'Brien and Bernard Jackman and they want to emulate it.

dzer2 wrote: »
    I have 4 kids here and they do hurl every day ;);)

Fair play. Tell them keep up the good work. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Delighted for Carlow - lost 30 on the match but such is life - but it is always great to see a team perform above expected standards. Results like Limericks and tonight's will give every underdog hope for their next game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Time for Carlow to be split in two

I agree with all you said kid.
    Kavanagh is meant to be good,he scored the goal tonight.I have never seen him play ,that is why I hope TG4 ,and i think they will show the semifinal live.

Carlow are putting in the work in fairness.Paul Flynn was coach of the U21 team 2 years ago.They certainly are a credit to all.
    2 years ago Dublin beat them very easily,so tonight shows how far,they have came in a short space of time.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Delighted for Carlow - lost 30 on the match but such is life - but it is always great to see a team perform above expected standards. Results like Limericks and tonight's will give every underdog hope for their next game.

Well said,fellow rebel.
    IT has been sum 5 days for hurling,Wexford drawing with Dublin,offaly putting in a good display and Limerick having a great win,in fairness.

Carlow are a GAA county in particular who face enormous competition from Rugby. Tullow RFC and Co Carlow are institutions within the county who have a conveyor belt of talent emerging from both clubs.

Very hard for hurling and football even to gain momentum and personnel in the face of such a draw. Youngsters see the success of the likes of Sean O'Brien and Bernard Jackman and they want to emulate it.
    I agree they always face an uphill struggle with the loss of players to other codes.Cork and Tipp and Kerry and even Kilkenny now loose players to Soccer,Rubgy and aussie rules,and while their huge losses at least the counties have large picks to choose from to try and replace them to a degree.

The only main news I ever associated with Carlow hurling,was growing up as a cork man and seeing Mark Mullins from carlow,with Cork senior hurlers.He would have won a County with Na Piarsaigh and captained cork under JBM for a year in 96.

• Advertisement
Advertisement