Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2013 Bord Gais U21Hurling Championship.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Some performance from Wexford, thought the Ref gave Kilkenny 3 or 4 bizarre and very soft frees too.

Deserved win for Wexford, though Aaron Duggan will be a while getting over the winning goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

glens73 wrote: »
    Great to watch, but agree, the keeper will feel terrible after that, as bad a mistake as it gets (in a sporting context).
    Superb win for them...against a strongly fancied KK team.You just knew it was wexford night when KK in normal time had a chance to go 2 up and it fell short to the wexford keeper and then wexford equalised above.

They will never have a better chance of getting to the all ireland final.JJ doyle a top class coach.All the same the difference a good coach makes to any team.
    It has been the best championship in years

Orizio wrote: »
    Interesting to see a Minor start for Wexford.

its the right thing to do.If your good enough youre old enough.Cork.should but won't do the same with Michael Cahalane or Pa O Callaghan.

Brian Whelan was still a minor when he was on both the U21 and senior panels with Offaly.

Firstly what a highly entertaining game. Little room to manoeuvre out there but the sides were very hard to separate. You would really have to feel for the young man Duggan for his slip up. It was unfortunate.
    Secondly well done to a resilient Wexford side for their grit and fight to the bitter end. I thought they had lost it there for a while but they never said die for one second. Lee Chin was magnificent. He cleared a world of ball and his leadership really shone through. JJ Doyle has yet another accolade to add to his cv and i hope this is the beginning of a new dawn in the Model county. They have always been a proud hurling county who believe strongly in work ethic and commitment and hopefully this win will breathe new life into the game down there

That young Mcdonald for Wexford will be one to watch in the future. I seen him score a sideline cut from inside his own half when their minors played Tipp in a challenge down in Carrick on suir a few weeks ago. The Tipp management were mightily impressed by as was i and many of the spectators.

Lee Chin was to the manor born tonight. Superb.

• Advertisement

That young Mcdonald for Wexford will be one to watch in the future. I seen him score a sideline cut from inside his own half when their minors played Tipp in a challenge down in Carrick on suir a few weeks ago. The Tipp management were mightily impressed by as was i and many of the spectators.

Lee Chin was to the manor born tonight. Superb.
    Wexford were superb...mcdonald looks a class apart alright as does Chin.Age does not matter when you have talent like that.

How are ye shaping up for next wed
    night???Any injuries??

Wexford were superb...mcdonald looks a class apart alright as does Chin.Age does not matter when you have talent like that.

How are ye shaping up for next wed
    night???Any injuries??

Strong enough panel afaik. John Meagher is back and going well in the challenges but Dan McCormack gone to the US. I wouldnt start McCormack personally but he might have been handy to spring off the bench.

Strong enough panel afaik. John Meagher is back and going well in the challenges but Dan McCormack gone to the US. I wouldnt start McCormack personally but he might have been handy to spring off the bench.

He won a nice amount of ball against limkerick but seems to be not as classy as others.

Meagher will strenghten ye no doubt

He won a nice amount of ball against limkerick but seems to be not as classy as others.

McCormack is extremely lazy. He apparently even has his critics over in Boston at present for his work ethic on the field

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I didn't get to see the match, but I have it recorded. Although I have UPC so it probably didn't record all of the extra-time.

What was the KK keeper's mistake?

• Advertisement

McCormack is extremely lazy. He apparently even has his critics over in Boston at present for his work ethic on the field

Yeah fair enough.You dont have the right attiide then its a waste of time

I didn't get to see the match, but I have it recorded. Although I have UPC so it probably didn't record all of the extra-time.

What was the KK keeper's mistake?

Group of players around the goalmouth and goalie won possession but dropped it and the sliothar trickled barely over the line. You'd have to feel for such a young man but i just got the sense although Kilkenny were technically better hurlers that Wexford wanted it just that little tiny bit more. It was a stroke of luck really in a game that full forward lines were starved of possession and chances for the majority of the night really. Air tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Formosa

Group of players around the goalmouth and goalie won possession but dropped it and the sliothar trickled barely over the line. You'd have to feel for such a young man but i just got the sense although Kilkenny were technically better hurlers that Wexford wanted it just that little tiny bit more. It was a stroke of luck really in a game that full forward lines were starved of possession and chances for the majority of the night really. Air tight.

It was a stroke of luck, but Willie Phelan hauled the corner fwd back by the shoulder - penalty - then it looked to me like Duggan picked the ball - free in, the dope of a ref missed both.

He was terrible the ref, probably harder on Wexford than KK over the 80 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Keepers mistake shouldnt have mattered as it was a certain penalty

The ref just gave too many frees, every time he gave one he made up for it with a free the other way a minute later, he wasnt biased, just should have let the game flow more.

Exhibition of free taking from the wexford lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

Formosa wrote: »
    It was a stroke of luck, but Willie Phelan hauled the corner fwd back by the shoulder - penalty - then it looked to me like Duggan picked the ball - free in, the dope of a ref missed both.

He was terrible the ref, probably harder on Wexford than KK over the 80 minutes.

Not really fair with the last comment 3 of the frees in the second half he gave wexford that was scored were definitely not frees and there was 2 penalties for Kilkenny in the game not given. But saying all that Kilkenny didnt have the hunger in the second half and paid the price for some really shocking shooting and very poor free taking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Who reffed it?

Formosa wrote: »

He was terrible the ref, probably harder on Wexford than KK over the 80 minutes

He was dreadful. At one stage of the second half a Wexford back made a perfect hook and he was pulled up for it.

Who reffed it?

Pat Murphy from Carlow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

Anyone have a link to watch the game?

thesultan wrote: »
    Anyone have a link to watch the game?

tg4 Player is your best bet

http://www.tg4.ie/en/player/tg4-player.html

• Advertisement

Any dual players on the Cork side? For Tipp, Dylan Fitzelle, Bill Maher, Niall O'Meara, Seamus Kennedy, John Meagher, John Mcgrath and Liam Mcgrath

The bolded lads won All Ireland football medals at minor level back in 2011. Out of them id imagine Liam McGrath, Kennedy and possibly John Meagher will start while John Mcgrath, Dylan Fitzelle, and Bill Maher could be sprung from the bench.

Any dual players on the Cork side? For Tipp, Dylan Fitzelle, Bill Maher, Niall O'Meara, Seamus Kennedy, John Meagher, John Mcgrath and Liam Mcgrath

The bolded lads won All Ireland football medals at minor level back in 2011. Out of them id imagine Liam McGrath, Kennedy and possibly John Meagher will start while John Mcgrath, Dylan Fitzelle, and Bill Maher could be sprung from the bench.
    Jamie wall,Mark sugrue.damien cahalane.kevin hallisey possibly and alan cadogan.

Its hard to know what team ir picked such is our manager.Itr named tonight.

Jamie wall,Mark sugrue.damien cahalane.kevin hallisey possibly and alan cadogan.

Its hard to know what team ir picked such is our manager.Itr named tonight.

Not much confidence in him?

Not much confidence in him?
    .posted cork team and my thoughts on the cork thread.
    No I woudnt have him in charge of junior team.

U21 team to play tipp
    1 patrick collins ballinshaig
    2.colm spillane castlelyons
    3patrick o mahony midelton
    4diarmulid lester bishoptown
    5damien cahalane st finbarrs
    6chrisopher joyce na piarsaigh
    7daniel o mahony carrigtwohill
    8brian murray bishopstown
    9rob o shea carraigline
    10jamie coughlan newtownshandrum
    11daire lordan coucrey rovers
    12conor lehane midelton
    13alan cadogan douglas
    14jamie wall kilbrittain
    15brian hartnett mildeton

Subs
    Tommy wallis midelton
    Colm barry castlelyons
    Kevin kavanagh carriglaine
    Nicky kelly mayfield
    Mark sugrue bandon
    Kevin hallisey eire og
    Barry lawtown castlematryr
    Cian buckley

Extendend panel
    Michael collins
    Mark howard
    Killian burke

U21 team to play tipp
    9rob o shea carraigline
    12conor lehane midelton
    13alan cadogan douglas
    14jamie wall kilbrittain

Subs
    Tommy wallis midelton
    Colm barry castlelyons
    Nicky kelly mayfield
    Mark sugrue bandon
    Kevin hallisey eire og
    Cian buckley

Extendend panel
    Michael collins
    Mark howard
    Killian burke

U21 team to play tipp
    9rob o shea carraigline
    12conor lehane midelton
    13alan cadogan douglas
    14jamie wall kilbrittain

Subs
    Tommy wallis midelton
    Colm barry castlelyons
    Nicky kelly mayfield
    Mark sugrue bandon
    Kevin hallisey eire og
    Cian buckley

Extendend panel
    Michael collins
    Mark howard
    Killian burke
    Seven starters from last year in the 2 o mahonys,,
    cahalane,joyce,lehane and coughlan and spillane with sugrue and kelly who started are now on the bench for this game.
    Brian murray who starts was a sub then.
    Hes poor enough so good news for tipp that he starts ahead of nicky kelly who is a better hurler.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

3 dual players starting for Tipp. - Seamus Kennedy, Bill O'Meara and Liam McGrath. Niall is O'Meara's real name, but everyone calls him Bill. No idea why.

3 dual players starting for Tipp. - Seamus Kennedy, Bill O'Meara and Liam McGrath. Niall is O'Meara's real name, but everyone calls him Bill. No idea why.
    Any chance you post the team please
    O meara is a fine player who really gives hes all.
    The ref is s hourigan limerick.

• Advertisement

3 for cork also with two on the bench.

Tipp team for tomorrow night,

Darragh Mooney (Eire Og Annacarty)
    Cathal Barrett (Holycross Ballycahill)
    Micheal Breen (Ballina)
    Andrew Ryan (Toomevara)
    Joe O’Dwyer (Killenaule)
    Tomas Hamill (Killea)
    Seamus Kennedy (St Marys)
    Justin Cahill (Kilruane McDonaghs)
    Brian Stapleton (Templederry Kenyons)
    Tommy Heffernan (Nenagh Eire Og)
    Jason Forde (Silvermines)
    Niall O’Meara (Kilruane McDonaghs)
    Aidan McCormack (Thurles Sarsfields)
    Bill Walsh (Carrick Swan)
    Liam McGrath(Loughmore-Castleiney)

Only change is Tommy Heffernan in for Dan McCormack who is in America.

Tipp team for tomorrow night,

Darragh Mooney (Eire Og Annacarty)
    Cathal Barrett (Holycross Ballycahill)
    Micheal Breen (Ballina)
    Andrew Ryan (Toomevara)
    Joe O’Dwyer (Killenaule)
    Tomas Hamill (Killea)
    Seamus Kennedy (St Marys)
    Justin Cahill (Kilruane McDonaghs)
    Brian Stapleton (Templederry Kenyons)
    Tommy Heffernan (Nenagh Eire Og)
    Jason Forde (Silvermines)
    Niall O’Meara (Kilruane McDonaghs)
    Aidan McCormack (Thurles Sarsfields)
    Bill Walsh (Carrick Swan)
    Liam McGrath(Loughmore-Castleiney)

Only change is Tommy Heffernan in for Dan McCormack who is in America.

John Meagher should definately have slotted in there somewhere. He has been flying it lately. Tommy Heffernan a great sticksman but not a ball winner and Tipp need ball winners going forward as was proved in the Senior Championship this year

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

I too am suprised to see John Meagher left out of the starting 15. Hope he has not got an injury.

Bit like Trigger calling Rodney 'Dave' :D

Cork have been tragic thus far. Since I began writing this, they have gotten the last 5 scores in the first half, and are there for 4 points adrift. Well in this game and I'm not sure how.

Hopefully the second half will be much improved. Tipp have nice hurlers but they really should have this game dead and buried, and have to contend with the sun second half so Cork not in too bad a position. If they can play like they did the last 5 minutes in the second half this game is not beyond them. Midfield has kept them in it, and Coughlan has been lively when he's seen it.

Hopefully the game springs to life second half

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Martin567

Justin Cahill of Tipp very fortunate to escape a red card. He took out the Cork goalscorer completely off the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Martin567

Tipp far too strong now and looking very impressive. Cork are very disappointing.

There's been a lot of talk about Cork underage at trouble and in spite of it, they've always been competitive at this grade. Only a point in it against Tipp last year, unlucky to lose in extra time in the Munster final the previous year. Tipp needed an added time goal to take the game toi extra time in 2010, and that is widely acknowledged as one of the best u21 teams in recent times.

But today is a real shocker. I know their away, I know Tipp have had a game but this is the worst performance I think I've seen from a Cork team at any grade. Awful. Tipp are obviously good, but the 1st and the 3rd goal in particular were examples of terrible defending.

I really hope we show a lot more tomorrow, in fairness we've been poor at this grade for 3 years and a longtime before 2009, but I will be very disappointed if we're not better than that tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

This is terrible.Disgusted with the performance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭Sitamoia

Cork are getting an awful hiding here:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Cork looked to be making a right fist of this. Afer a very poor start, those 3 points just before half time followed by a goal at the start of the 2nd half looked like we were going to have a dinger of a game.

Since then, Tipp have gone to town.
    Tipp FF has picked off a few nice goals

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Cork looked to be making a right fist of this. Afer a very poor start, those 3 points just before half time followed by a goal at the start of the 2nd half looked like we were going to have a dinger of a game.

Since then, Tipp have gone to town.
    Bill O Meara has picked off a few nice goals

5 points before half time, and a goal straight after. They scored 1-5 in about 7 minutes and 1-8 in the other 53. They were hammered outside of it.

Bill Walsh, not Niall (or Bill as he's known) O Meara, scored 2 goals, Jason Forde got 2 and Tommy Heffernan the other.

For Bill Walsh's first goal, the defender totally misjudged the flight of the ball then fell over. For his second (Tipps third, probably the killer) he ran to the left and into his own player and let Walsh run straight through the middle. And apparently O'Mahony is on the Cork Senior panel.

There's been a lot of talk about Cork underage at trouble and in spite of it, they've always been competitive at this grade. Only a point in it against Tipp last year, unlucky to lose in extra time in the Munster final the previous year. Tipp needed an added time goal to take the game toi extra time in 2010, and that is widely acknowledged as one of the best u21 teams in recent times.

But today is a real shocker. I know their away, I know Tipp have had a game but this is the worst performance I think I've seen from a Cork team at any grade. Awful. Tipp are obviously good, but the 1st and the 3rd goal in particular were examples of terrible defending.

I really hope we show a lot more tomorrow, in fairness we've been poor at this grade for 3 years and a longtime before 2009, but I will be very disappointed if we're not better than that tomorrow.

Id imagine with the likes of Dillon, Fives, Barron ye should be strong enough too.

Superb from the lads tonight. Especially super performance from Niall O'Meara who showed unbelievable determination and leadership when Cork had great momentum build up.

.posted cork team and my thoughts on the cork thread.
    No I woudnt have him in charge of junior team.

Is there a thing in Cork where the county board are still putting their own men in charge as opposed to the best men?

Donal Og made an interesting comment on the Sunday Game highlights when he said the Cork county board didn't think Allen's face was the right fit for the job?

Id imagine with the likes of Dillon, Fives, Barron ye should be strong enough too.

Superb from the lads tonight. Especially super performance from Niall O'Meara who showed unbelievable determination and leadership when Cork had great momentum build up.

Yeah and given Jamie Barron was corner back, Darragh Fives was half fit and Jake Dillon wasn't the player he is 12 months later we should be better than last year anyway.

Yeah and given Jamie Barron was corner back, Darragh Fives was half fit and Jake Dillon wasn't the player he is 12 months later we should be better than last year anyway.

Huge incentive also in that ye have the final at home if ye win and tbh id prefer to play a Clare team in Thurles with a few players with the possibility of the one eye on a senior All Ireland semi final then a Waterford team that will be buoyed up by their recent performance in Kilkenny with only the u21 left to play for in their own backyard.

Is there a thing in Cork where the county board are still putting their own men in charge as opposed to the best men?

Donal Og made an interesting comment on the Sunday Game highlights when he said the Cork county board didn't think Allen's face was the right fit for the job?

You are on the ball.Congratualtions on the win,and i do not want to take from Tipp but no way with the talent available should we be beaten like that.
    Im sick in my stomach after that.

The CCB are the same old story.
    Just look at who was appointed as minor football manager last night,and not even a n interview process with other applicants took place.The same guy was a selector,for four unsuccesful years before.

I had voiced my concerns,last January and a lot the past month and even in the opening post on this thread about this management team.I truly never believed it could be as bad as this.

I may sound and honestly do not mean to be like a broken record and have no agenda against Ger Fitz,but like many Cork fans who cry out for underage success,know he is not a good manager.
    He was and always will be to me a great player.But not a manager.
    This was the worst team performance in the whole championship so far.

We have the same problem with our minor hurlers,and their is every chance both Pat Kenneally and Ger Fitzgerald will still be involved next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Didn't get a chance to watch the match, but some serious scoring from Tipp, against Cork of all teams.

You are on the ball.Congratualtions on the win,and i do not want to take from Tipp but no way with the talent available should we be beaten like that.
    Im sick in my stomach after that.

The CCB are the same old story.
    Just look at who was appointed as minor football manager last night,and not even a n interview process with other applicants took place.The same guy was a selector,for four unsuccesful years before.

I had voiced my concerns,last January and a lot the past month and even in the opening post on this thread about this management team.I truly never believed it could be as bad as this.

I may sound and honestly do not mean to be like a broken record and have no agenda against Ger Fitz,but like many Cork fans who cry out for underage success,know he is not a good manager.
    He was and always will be to me a great player.But not a manager.
    This was the worst team performance in the whole championship so far.

We have the same problem with our minor hurlers,and their is every chance both Pat Kenneally and Ger Fitzgerald will still be involved next year.

While Tipp seemed really up for it i felt it took Cork too long to get going. They gained serious momentum but when Tipp pulled away again so suddenly, that was a killer blow to Cork and the heads dropped.

Its sort of sad that the likes of Sean Og O'hAilpin or Donal Og Cusack (both very knowledgeable hurling men) will probably never get the chance to manage Cork should they wish to do so because both men would demand so much support out of the County board while they drag them into the 21st century that they would be nearly seen as dissenters.

Cant help feeling also that the shadow of Frank Murphy will always linger over Cork GAA even if he has stepped down

While Tipp seemed really up for it i felt it took Cork too long to get going. They gained serious momentum but when Tipp pulled away again so suddenly, that was a killer blow to Cork and the heads dropped.

Its sort of sad that the likes of Sean Og O'hAilpin or Donal Og Cusack (both very knowledgeable hurling men) will probably never get the chance to manage Cork should they wish to do so because both men would demand so much support out of the County board while they drag them into the 21st century that they would be nearly seen as dissenters.

Cant help feeling also that the shadow of Frank Murphy will always linger over Cork GAA even if he has stepped down

Im not sure Sean og to be honest.
    He even admitted himself to be more a coach than manager.
    And what he said about the small clubs in Cork,he wouldnt go down too well.

Pat Mulchay,Mark Landers,Eddie Murphy should be involved but it is unlikely.
    Tonight was awful to watch.

To see Donal O Grady for tg4 made it worse.He should be involved in underage in Cork instead of on tv.He would make a great u21manager.

• Advertisement
Advertisement