Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

charging a dead battery

• 11-05-2013 10:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭

My bike has been laid up for the past 5 weeks and stupidly, I left the battery connected so it wont turn over now.

I want to take the battery out and charge it up and leave it be untill ill be putting it back into the bike in a couple weeks.

I have access to a 12v 4amp battery charger this weekend ..I know 4amp is a little high..but would it be ok to give it a once off charge with this or do I have to go out and buy a new charger?

Im thinking about 4 hours should be enough. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

cojomo2 wrote: »
    My bike has been laid up for the past 5 weeks and stupidly, I left the battery connected so it wont turn over now.

I want to take the battery out and charge it up and leave it be untill ill be putting it back into the bike in a couple weeks.

I have access to a 12v 4amp battery charger this weekend ..I know 4amp is a little high..but would it be ok to give it a once off charge with this or do I have to go out and buy a new charger?

Around 1 hour on 4amp charge would do it.

More than enough to crank it.

Did you try jump starting it??

Should be easy to do if its a 4 cylinder.

V-Twins are a fcuking biatch to jump start.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If its a sealed gel battery they can overheat if you charge them at too high amps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

paddy147 wrote: »
    Around 1 hour on 4amp charge would do it.

More than enough to crank it.

Did you try jump starting it??

Should be easy to do if its a 4 cylinder.

V-Twins are a fcuking biatch to jump start.

Thanks Paddy. Yeah it will jump start but I wont be able to bring it out for a spin for another 2-4 weeks..its completely dead at the moment and the manual says not to store it fully discharged for any amount of time so the plan was to charge it up now and store it till I can get back on the bike...so you reckon the 4amp will do the job without screwing up the battery..cheers.

Oryx wrote: »
    If its a sealed gel battery they can overheat if you charge them at too high amps.

Its deffo sealed( 12v 8ah).not sure if its gel..ill have to check.. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭Xenophile

A healthy battery should not run down after 5 weeks it should stay charged for at least three months. I suggest you buy a hydrometer they are not expensive, the specific gravity on all cells should read 1260 for a good battery. My feeling is that your battery needs to be replaced! Any good motor factor can supply you off the shelf with a battery or hydrometer.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭dupeters

Sounds like you could have one or more cells down.
    no amount of charging will bring these back!!

Happened me when i left the ride on lawn mower battery(which was 70 euros and 6 months old) connected over the winter. Had it on charge overnight and when i checked the cells 2 were still below 2 volts. new battery was required:mad:

Xenophile wrote: »
    A healthy battery should not run down after 5 weeks it should stay charged for at least three months. I suggest you buy a hydrometer they are not expensive, the specific gravity on all cells should read 1260 for a good battery. My feeling is that your battery needs to be replaced! Any good motor factor can supply you off the shelf with a battery or hydrometer.

Sorry..should have mentioned..the bike has an alarm fitted..which is probably why it drained in 5 weeks..think its ok..less than a year old. Thanks

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Its deffo sealed( 12v 8ah).not sure if its gel..ill have to check.. Thanks

Don't use the 4a charger. See if you know anyone with an optimate. Less chance of damage imo. Those sealed batteries are temperamental. Once they lose a charge they never recharge fully and they don't like to be left lying up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Rule of thumb, charge at no more then 10% of capacity for small batteries.
    If you are skint, basic tricklechargers can be got for very little .
    http://2wheeljunkie.co.uk/battery-chargers/silverline-12v-motorcycle-battery-trickle-charger/prod_47743.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Some good hints on this u tube clip. One more thing if you want to maybe buy a high rate discharge tester which puts pressure on the battery by connecting both poles. A healthy battery should hold a reading of 9 volts. If you are building up a collection of workshop tools this could be a good one to have as it will also test car batteries

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭rock22

Xenophile wrote: »

you can't use a hydrometer on a sealed/ gel battery

Advertisement