Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Military Mountain Race Wicklow

Options
  • 12-05-2013 12:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

(Hope this thread was never raised before yet)
    Hi all, a couple of days ago I've found this ad(attachment below) in "An Cosantóir" magazine. I'm interested to join for short run (12 km), but have some questions about it, so if anyone here already have experience in this event- it'll be really great that you can share.
    Also, it might be interested for other people, who's looking for something like this.
    So here is the questions:
    1) Sheet 56- it's a map and i can find it at outdoor stores, am i right?
    2) Snap light- what is this for, if it'll be just one day event or even a half of the day? I do have one- but it really necessary?
    3) Bivi Bag- the same question, except that i don't own one, is lightweight sleeping bag can replace one?
    4) Because there is Map, Compass involved- is that means that it'll be some sort of orienteering also, or just run in designated area?
    5) Because it's organized by military- can civilians join it(i clearly see it in the middle of the page, but i'm confused by "submit your numbers, RANKS, names ..., so it would be better to double check)?
    6-last one) Clothing/Footwear- do we have to wear some sort of camo trousers and milspec boots(helmet/gas mask/pocket nuclear bomb, etc), or outdoor pants and runners will be enough. I presume that it sounds stupid but again, it better to ask stupid question here, than look stupid there.
    As seen from ad there is email left for entries- i'm thinking to ask the same questions there, but i guess they are busy enough and can delay with answers, so i decided to raise these questions here first.
    Thanks for reading this and hope to hear about your experience.

P.S. how i can place image here that it'll be seen not as attachment but fully shown here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭hiddenmongoose

Its military only

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Wonder how many people take part in this, ie do NPWS put a limit on numbers or is that just for the rest of us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 jagger242

Its military only

Can i ask you how do you know?

Anyway, after posting this thread i realized myself that it's not simple run from start to finish, so question #4 is sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭hiddenmongoose

Im in the army.Its Df personnel only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

jagger242 wrote: »
    Can i ask you how do you know?

Anyway, after posting this thread i realized myself that it's not simple run from start to finish, so question #4 is sorted.

Yep,

Military only, sorry horse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 jagger242

Roger that!

Thanks for your answers, the thread is ready to be deleted now.

Jag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Just curious, but what is the 'snap light'? One of those chemical emergency lights, like a Mr.Freeze? :confused: And do they be wearing the army issue boots trotting over the hills? Or do the lads wear studded hill running shoes etc.?

Must be an interesting sight, you'd have a double take if you were on the heights and saw all these army lads running towards you - might think Angela Merkl had sent in the troops etc :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

BarryD wrote: »
    Just curious, but what is the 'snap light'? One of those chemical emergency lights, like a Mr.Freeze? :confused: And do they be wearing the army issue boots trotting over the hills? Or do the lads wear studded hill running shoes etc.?

Must be an interesting sight, you'd have a double take if you were on the heights and saw all these army lads running towards you - might think Angela Merkl had sent in the troops etc :)

A snap light is otherwise known as a glow stick.

Yeah they will either wear issued boots or their own combat type boots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

I see it's run on a mid week day, so presumably geared for the full time military?

Advertisement