Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The consequences of Bitcoin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

You know Zimbabwe is nothing like what I've advocated, because that's what the last two pages are about. That is a deeply economically illiterate comparison (we are not experiencing massive hyperinflation, and trying to deal with that through money creation), and a really facetious straw-man, and now putting words in my mouth in telling me what my response was.

You couldn't be more obvious in your complete disregard for any desire of honest argument, and lack the skill to execute that in any kind of an intelligently hidden way.

The last two pages of discussion I had with you were about hyperinflation. Which to be honest I don't really care, you raised the issue of hyperinflation not me. What I am concerned about is your theory and what you repeatedly ignore is that it didn't work and you can't explain why. I'm open to any idea that can improve our current economic situation. But I sure its understandable that I'm not inclined to support policies that have failed miserably in the past.

I'll repeat a question to you. Since you believe your policies will work in Ireland but failed in Zimbabwe
    "At what rough % unemployment, level of industrial destruction etc does your theory not work. What is the tipping point?, within what parameters does your theory work in the real world?

A question any well thought out theory has an answer for.

I hope you'll answer the question but more likely based on your posting history in this thread you'll ignore it and resort to ad hominem attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭SupaNova2

So you're agreeing that the economy can be brought back to full employment/output with inflation-targeted debt-free money creation,

No I'm agreeing you can target inflation but with nothing else.
    if it can be spent efficiently (defined as spending in a way that doesn't push resource/supply bottlenecks too much)?

Your position is as good as saying if the Soviet Union allocated resources efficiently communism would work.

And why in your opinion did social democratic paradise Sweden in the mid nineties, with control of their own currency, cut taxes, deregulate and pull back government spending?

So why did a country so ripe to accept your solution do the opposite and have it work?
    Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    In the 1980s, a real estate and financial bubble formed, driven by a rapid increase in lending. A restructuring of the tax system, in order to emphasize low inflation combined with an international economic slowdown in the early 1990s, caused the bubble to burst. Between 1990 and 1993 GDP went down by 5% and unemployment skyrocketed, causing the worst economic crisis in Sweden since the 1930s. According to an analysis by George Berglund published in Computer Sweden in 1992, the investment level decreased drastically for information technology and computing equipment, except in the financial and banking sector, the part of the industry that created the crisis.[19] The investment levels for IT and computers were restored as early as 1993.[20] In 1992 there was a run on the currency, the central bank briefly jacking up interest to 500% in an unsuccessful effort to defend the currency's fixed exchange rate.[21] Total employment fell by almost 10% during the crisis.

A real estate boom ended in a bust. The government took over nearly a quarter of banking assets at a cost of about 4% of the nation's GDP. This was known colloquially as the "Stockholm Solution". The United States Federal Reserve remarked in 2007, that "In the early 1970s, Sweden had one of the highest income levels in Europe; today, its lead has all but disappeared... So, even well-managed financial crises don't really have a happy ending."[22]

The welfare system that had been growing rapidly since the 1970s could not be sustained with a falling GDP, lower employment and larger welfare payments. In 1994 the government budget deficit exceeded 15% of GDP. The response of the government was to cut spending and institute a multitude of reforms to improve Sweden's competitiveness. When the international economic outlook improved combined with a rapid growth in the IT sector, which Sweden was well positioned to capitalize on, the country was able to emerge from the crisis.[23]

The crisis of the 1990s was by some viewed as the end of the much buzzed welfare model called "Svenska modellen", literally "The Swedish Model", as it proved that governmental spending at the levels previously experienced in Sweden was not long term sustainable in a global open economy.[24] Much of the Swedish Model's acclaimed advantages actually had to be viewed as a result of the post WWII special situation, which left Sweden untouched when competitors' economies were comparatively weak.[25]

However, the reforms enacted during the 1990s seem to have created a model in which extensive welfare benefits can be maintained in a global economy.[18]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

PeadarCo wrote: »
    The last two pages of discussion I had with you were about hyperinflation. Which to be honest I don't really care, you raised the issue of hyperinflation not me. What I am concerned about is your theory and what you repeatedly ignore is that it didn't work and you can't explain why. I'm open to any idea that can improve our current economic situation. But I sure its understandable that I'm not inclined to support policies that have failed miserably in the past.

I'll repeat a question to you. Since you believe your policies will work in Ireland but failed in Zimbabwe
    "At what rough % unemployment, level of industrial destruction etc does your theory not work. What is the tipping point?, within what parameters does your theory work in the real world?

A question any well thought out theory has an answer for.

I hope you'll answer the question but more likely based on your posting history in this thread you'll ignore it and resort to ad hominem attacks.
    I did not raise the issue of hyperinflation and that's something else you know fully as well. Why on earth would I raise the issue of hyperinflation, when it's the most common recurring straw-man attack on the policies I support.

You don't have any interest in the actual policies I advocate, only in trying to pan them based on completely different policies - usually this is brought about from supporting rabid anti-government ideology.

It's a bit ridiculous that the people so eagerly panning my policies, also seem to be the ones so ready to admit their ignorance of what I actually support as well - and don't see any massive logical inconsistency there.

You want me to engage with your questions (one which 'begs the question' that my policies and Zimbabwe are in any way comparable), when you show zero inclination for honest argument.

You're also incapable of distinguishing ad-hominem, from criticisms of your methods of argument - you're not free from criticism, for using massively fallacious/dishonest methods of argument.

Give up the pretense of trying to engage honestly here - you are only interested in panning.

SupaNova2 wrote: »
    No I'm agreeing you can target inflation but with nothing else.
    Right well then forget the jobs argument, because it's utterly pointless unless the overall macro situation is agreed, and we'll go back to that.

Pushing the jobs argument when not even that basic stuff is agreed, is redirecting the debate and avoiding the focus on the macro issues, which are the most important.

What, specifically, do you disagree with about the below:
    Do you disagree, that inflation is primarily a resource problem, and that when using money creation, it is unavoidable primarily when full economic-output/employment is reached, and that inflation caused before reaching that point, is a distributional/efficiency problem with where money is being spent? (with money being spent on resources of limited supply, when it should be reallocated to more abundant resources)

Do you also disagree, that where there is an abundance of physical resources for manufacturing, that inflation in areas of the private economy caused by retooling production, is a temporary problem only? (caused by temporarily constrained supply of manufactured goods - where production will be ramped up to resolve this)

If you agree with that, then it's very easy to draw a path to the policies I advocate - the remaining arguments being largely just political.
    If you agree with the above, there is no potential economic problem to the policies I advocate, only potential political problems - so if you disagree with that, it would be good to have specific disagreements.
    Your position is as good as saying if the Soviet Union allocated resources efficiently communism would work.
    Here is the command economy straw-man again; this is not an argument for a command economy, and it is not comparable to one.
    And why in your opinion did social democratic paradise Sweden in the mid nineties, with control of their own currency, cut taxes, deregulate and pull back government spending?
    Another variation on the "Why aren't people doing this already?" type of argument, that you tried to step around in After Hours:
    SupaNova2 wrote:
    When mass slavery was the norm people said the same thing. "If a system without slaves is a viable system then why hasn't it arisen". Well after enough time it did arise.
    A bit hypocritical to try that here, seeing as it applies equally as much to your own economic views.

• Advertisement

Another variation on the "Why aren't people doing this already?" type of argument, that you tried to step around in After Hours:

A bit hypocritical to try that here, seeing as it applies equally as much to your own economic views.

So what do you want to do? Use the same answer I gave, that just because no-one has implemented and made it work does not mean it never will be implemented and work?

If so, I'm still interesting to hear your thoughts on why it hasn't happened yet? After all understanding this would be key to making it happen if you believe it can work.

And also it would be interesting to hear why in response to a housing bust and spike in unemployment Sweden cut spending, got their deficit under control, but yet managed to recover? Why do you think a solution the opposite of yours worked in this case?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Yes just like climate change denialists like to paint themselves as sophisticated 'skeptics'. Skeptics don't cast doubt on or downplay blindingly clear evidence, and act as apologists for the completely immoral killings of innocent people.

A proper skeptic tries to challenge all views, not just those views that conform or validate personally held beliefs and narratives.

Bringing up views from another thread or indirectly labelling someone an apologist is bit weak.

Your hypothetical policy would probably be better off in it's own thread rather than scattered across multiple forums, prob a good idea to out line it or summarise it in the first post so you could refer those who are going to slate it to that post instead of having to re-explain

I did not raise the issue of hyperinflation and that's something else you know fully as well. Why on earth would I raise the issue of hyperinflation, when it's the most common recurring straw-man attack on the policies I support.

Grand care to explain this post.
    Yes I'm sure the extreme political situation, of massive industrial/output collapse due to land takeovers, and 80% unemployment, had nothing to do with that.

This is why hyperinflation scaremongering is so ridiculous: People espousing it are almost in every case, completely ignorant of the actual causes of hyperinflation in each cited example.

I never mentioned hyper inflation before that. Again there's a record there if you want to try prove otherwise. All I said was the Zimbabwe had to let go of it own currency. At the time they were implementing policies which you advocate and I asked you to explain why they didn't work which you have ignored. You brought up the hyperinflation bit.

However I do see your response was exactly as I expected.

So what do you want to do? Use the same answer I gave, that just because no-one has implemented and made it work does not mean it never will be implemented and work?

If so, I'm still interesting to hear your thoughts on why it hasn't happened yet? After all understanding this would be key to making it happen if you believe it can work.
    Are you going to at least present what issues you have with the macroeconomic views I put forward (regarding inflation and how it relates to full economic-output/employment etc.), or just keep dancing around it to try and flip the debate back to me answering stuff, which avoids that issue? (which is the core of everything in this debate and is the most important part - how can we debate any of this, if we already totally disagree with the macroeconomics? all arguments will just go back to that)

To be honest, your avoidance of it and attempts to just throw questions to put me in defensive, is conspicuous and makes me think you know that attempting to address it, will not be a sustainable line of argument.

• Advertisement

Jonny7 wrote: »
    A proper skeptic tries to challenge all views, not just those views that conform or validate personally held beliefs and narratives.

Bringing up views from another thread or indirectly labelling someone an apologist is bit weak.

Your hypothetical policy would probably be better off in it's own thread rather than scattered across multiple forums, prob a good idea to out line it or summarise it in the first post so you could refer those who are going to slate it to that post instead of having to re-explain
    Being an apologist or denialist, is not skepticism. You are hiding behind the false-application of the 'skepticism' label, as justification for defending and playing-down-criticism of reprehensible acts/murder.

You can defend any kind of crap, and play the nonsense "oh I was just being skeptical" card after the fact; it's a rather lame/transparent cop-out.

Grand care to explain this post.
    That post was in reply to this one:
    Kyuss Bishop a question. Could you explain how Zimbabwe benefited from its relatively recently bout of printing money that had the aim of producing full employment. Given as a result it had to abandon its own currency it appear when your printing money theory is put into operation it produces very different results from what it claim it should do.
    Are you seriously claiming, you brought up Zimbabwe as a completely random example, and that the hyperinflation in Zimbabwe had nothing to do with your mentioning of it whatsoever? That's a pretty massive co-incidence, isn't it?

So you weren't in fact implying hyperinflation in any way, and thus weren't bringing it up yourself? Ok then. Right.
    I never mentioned hyper inflation before that. Again there's a record there if you want to try prove otherwise. All I said was the Zimbabwe had to let go of it own currency. At the time they were implementing policies which you advocate and I asked you to explain why they didn't work which you have ignored. You brought up the hyperinflation bit.

However I do see your response was exactly as I expected.
    Oh Zimbabwe implemented a Job Guarantee? I didn't know that. Can you show me some proof of that? No? Well then they didn't implement the policies I describe.

That post was in reply to this one:

Are you seriously claiming, you brought up Zimbabwe as a completely random example, and that the hyperinflation in Zimbabwe had nothing to do with your mentioning of it whatsoever? That's a pretty massive co-incidence, isn't it?

So you weren't in fact implying hyperinflation in any way, and thus weren't bringing it up yourself? Ok then. Right.

Oh Zimbabwe implemented a Job Guarantee? I didn't know that. Can you show me some proof of that? No? Well then they didn't implement the policies I describe.

Ha Ha so now your trying to put words in my mouth and jump to conclusions. I mentioned Zimbabwe because its a rather recent example and comes to mind quite easily of the top of my head. They followed the basic outline print money and provide supported state jobs It also extreme so it should be very easy to say why it didn't work tipping point etc basically look at the previous questions I asked and actually try to answer them. If you want to talk about hyperinflation be my guest.

For the job guarantee given you don't have a clue how to implement one as can be seen quite clearly in your posts.(Apparently the implementation part isn't important) I don't think its unfair to take Zimbabwe as an example. Given the private sector always needs a pool of unemployed workers to draw(new private sector jobs) from who's to say your job guarantee would only apply to your cronies. Its a very easy way to implement it support your party and get a job.

I could be wrong however but that would require you to develop your vague idea into an actual theory that can withstand robust criticism. Why do you think capitalism and marxism etc are still around. Because when people put questions to the authors they actually provided answers. They didn't go that question is stupid, its not relevant, its a strawman or resort to perosnal attacks.

Being an apologist or denialist, is not skepticism. You are hiding behind the false-application of the 'skepticism' label, as justification for defending and playing-down-criticism of reprehensible acts/murder.

You can defend any kind of crap, and play the nonsense "oh I was just being skeptical" card after the fact; it's a rather lame/transparent cop-out.

It's a debate in a debate forum. You can't just slate anyone who argues counter to your convictions or beliefs as

An apologist
    A denialist
    or a false skeptic

Ha Ha so now your trying to put words in my mouth and jump to conclusions. I mentioned Zimbabwe because its a rather recent example and comes to mind quite easily of the top of my head. They followed the basic outline print money and provide supported state jobs It also extreme so it should be very easy to say why it didn't work tipping point etc basically look at the previous questions I asked and actually try to answer them. If you want to talk about hyperinflation be my guest.

For the job guarantee given you don't have a clue how to implement one as can be seen quite clearly in your posts.(Apparently the implementation part isn't important) I don't think its unfair to take Zimbabwe as an example. Given the private sector always needs a pool of unemployed workers to draw(new private sector jobs) from who's to say your job guarantee would only apply to your cronies. Its a very easy way to implement it support your party and get a job.

I could be wrong however but that would require you to develop your vague idea into an actual theory that can withstand robust criticism. Why do you think capitalism and marxism etc are still around. Because when people put questions to the authors they actually provided answers. They didn't go that question is stupid, its not relevant, its a strawman or resort to perosnal attacks.
    Come off it. You know the reason you posted Zimbabwe as an example, was because of hyperinflation - why else would you posit it as a negative example then? What exact negative/cautionary effect are you referring to with Zimbabwe, if not that?

If you admit your own ignorance of the job guarantee policy, how the hell are you meant to criticize something you don't know anything about?

It's a debate in a debate forum. You can't just slate anyone who argues counter to your convictions or beliefs as

An apologist
    A denialist
    or a false skeptic
    If there is valid grounds to, based on the content of their posts, yes you can. It is a valid criticism.

If there is valid grounds to, based on the content of their posts, yes you can. It is a valid criticism.

AKA

I don't like your views on Man U so your views on French foreign policy are invalid

disagreement-hierarchy.jpg

Come off it. You know the reason you posted Zimbabwe as an example, was because of hyperinflation - why else would you posit it as a negative example then? What exact negative/cautionary effect are you referring to with Zimbabwe, if not that?

If you admit your own ignorance of the job guarantee policy, how the hell are you meant to criticize something you don't know anything about?

It would be nice if you actually read the post you were responding to. Zimbabwe printed money and the state provided jobs when they were in trouble which is what you propose. Why did it not work? A very simple question given how badly it worked out.

For the job guarantee you say you support but don't know how to implement it and seem to find it insulting that you such have to explain how it would work. My post gave you one way of implementing it. May be you can come up with another way.

But then again your theory is so good that is above any questioning.

The thing is for you there is no such thing as valid criticism. Your idea's are so good that there are no valid grounds to criticise them. As can been seen that were it comes to avoiding questions you could give lessons to most politicians. If you look at the picture provided by Jonny7 you spend your time wandering around in the bottom three levels. The only thing you want to hear is unquestioning support for your idea.

AKA

I don't like your views on Man U so your views on French foreign policy are invalid
    Reading back over what my post replied to there, I'm not criticizing you based on your beliefs, but on your methods of argument; you stated yourself, you don't agree with drone strikes, yet you were playing down criticism of them and acting as an apologist for them, and then presented that as 'skepticism' even when you were playing down direct evidence of attacks, and being so 'skeptical' it seemed as if the US government was the only trusted source to you.

That leaves no reason to give you any benefit of the doubt, as having honest intention in argument, if you say you defend stuff you know is wrong, and cast doubt/diminish blindingly obvious evidence, and engage in semantic games to further downplay it.

• Advertisement

It would be nice if you actually read the post you were responding to. Zimbabwe printed money and the state provided jobs when they were in trouble which is what you propose. Why did it not work? A very simple question given how badly it worked out.
    Answer your own question then: Why did it not work? That was nothing to do with hyperinflation then was it, you were definitively not alluding to that as you say - then what other reason is there? (nevermind that this policy, government jobs as a solution to hyperinflation, is not what I am advocating)
    For the job guarantee you say you support but don't know how to implement it and seem to find it insulting that you such have to explain how it would work. My post gave you one way of implementing it. May be you can come up with another way.

But then again your theory is so good that is above any questioning.
    You just said I supported one thing above (what Zimbabwe did), now you are saying I support something completely different; your comparison is as accurate, as saying a public health service is Communist.

Your level of dishonest argument goes to such an extent, that you cast views on me that you know I don't hold, so you can set up endless straw-men - that is nothing less than self-congratulatory circlejerking, where posters prefer to setup an endless parade of rhetoric and backslapping, instead of engaging in substantive argument.

That's what passes for debate on most of these topics, where posters don't care about the validity of views they are attacking, just on setting up a style of debate for casting doubt on them, because of their personal ideological views.

Answer your own question then: Why did it not work? That was nothing to do with hyperinflation then was it, you were definitively not alluding to that as you say - then what other reason is there? (nevermind that this policy, government jobs as a solution to hyperinflation, is not what I am advocating)

You just said I supported one thing above (what Zimbabwe did), now you are saying I support something completely different; your comparison is as accurate, as saying a public health service is Communist.

Your level of dishonest argument goes to such an extent, that you cast views on me that you know I don't hold, so you can set up endless straw-men - that is nothing less than self-congratulatory circlejerking, where posters prefer to setup an endless parade of rhetoric and backslapping, instead of engaging in substantive argument.

That's what passes for debate on most of these topics, where posters don't care about the validity of views they are attacking, just on setting up a style of debate for casting doubt on them, because of their personal ideological views.

So now you want me answer questions for you? I thought MMT was your idea. I just want to get a better understanding of it but maybe your the wrong person to ask because you don't appear based on your responses you don't know anything about MMT.

For the job guarantee explain how it work and how you would implement it? How would it differ from just giving job to cronies as Mugabe did and does.

So now you want me answer questions for you? I thought MMT was your idea. I just want to get a better understanding of it but maybe your the wrong person to ask because you don't appear based on your responses you don't know anything about MMT.

For the job guarantee explain how it work and how you would implement it? How would it differ from just giving job to cronies as Mugabe did and does.
    You're barely even making an attempt to hide the rhetoric now. Was your question regarding Zimbabwe "Why did it not work?" referring to hyperinflation, or not - and if it was not, what was that supposed to be referring to?

You're even taking the stupidly transparent position now, of pretending that question was relating to MMT, just for rhetoric.

You're not even hiding either, your own total ignorance of the Job Guarantee program, yet you still think you know it enough to say it is the same as what Mugabe did - a simple argument from ignorance.
    When you come up with less deliberately fallacious forms of argument, then I'll bother responding to your questions and requests for information - until then, I know you are only being demanding for sake of circlejerkery rhetoric.

You're barely even making an attempt to hide the rhetoric now. Was your question regarding Zimbabwe "Why did it not work?" referring to hyperinflation, or not - and if it was not, what was that supposed to be referring to?

You're even taking the stupidly transparent position now, of pretending that question was relating to MMT, just for rhetoric.

You're not even hiding either, your own total ignorance of the Job Guarantee program, yet you still think you know it enough to say it is the same as what Mugabe did - a simple argument from ignorance.
    When you come up with less deliberately fallacious forms of argument, then I'll bother responding to your questions and requests for information - until then, I know you are only being demanding for sake of circlejerkery rhetoric.

A typical KyussBishop response. If want a more detailed version of "why didn't it work" look back at all the posts and questions you have ignored.

To be honest I find it very funny that your defending MMT and the whole idea of a job guarantee when based on your posts you don't have a clue what either of them are or how to apply them. You could prove otherwise by deciding to actually answer questions but that's clearly something you don't do.

A typical KyussBishop response. If want a more detailed version of "why didn't it work" look back at all the posts and questions you have ignored.

To be honest I find it very funny that your defending MMT and the whole idea of a job guarantee when based on your posts you don't have a clue what either of them are or how to apply them. You could prove otherwise by deciding to actually answer questions but that's clearly something you don't do.
    Yes because you were just dying to elaborate on what went wrong in Zimbabwe, in your previous posts - now you're sticking to "oh it's just obvious", and "look back at my previous (imaginary) posts explaining it", yet it's somehow not related to hyperinflation? Very convincing.

You're only here to derail any attempt at meaningful debate at this stage, and to sneer at advocated policies, without any attempt at valid argument.

That's usually the method used to control these debates online, it's just so horribly poorly executed on this occasion, that it is blindingly obvious for a change.

The people that do this as well, cannot avoid being fully aware of it either because it is so consistent - such an intellectually and morally bankrupt thing to do, to try and muddy/derail debate for political/ideological reasons, in a way designed to prevent debate over issues that would resolve the economic crisis - given the widespread suffering delaying solutions creates, it's pretty personally reprehensible as well, yet the people indirectly defending that don't give a toss about any of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Considering KyussBishop is point-blank refusing to provide the theory behind or the mechanics of his economic policies, I think we should take a different approach towards getting some information on this project. I wonder why governments around the world don't just replace the private sector entirely with the 'jobs guarantee program' given its inherent qualities.

According to KyussBishop, the program:

(1) Gives unemployed workers a job and a good wage
    (2) Costs nothing

If people can employed and paid by the state at absolutely no cost, why not employ every single person in the country in this manner? Even on his project's own dubious terms, it makes no sense to wait for a faltering private sector to recover when people can be employed at no cost by the state; no taxes would even be needed to pay them!

I'm guessing KyussBishop will evade or refuse to answer these questions. So that leaves it to the rest of us -- why not just print one million trillion euros, abolish the private sector, and make everybody employees of the state? Remember KyussBishop has explicitly stated that the state can pay a fair wage to new employees without raising taxes or producing hyperinflation; how could this be possible? What are the rest of us missing? Are the boffins in the Dail holding some leprechauns to ransom?

Valmont wrote: »
    Considering KyussBishop is point-blank refusing to provide the theory behind or the mechanics of his economic policies, I think we should take a different approach towards getting some information on this project. I wonder why governments around the world don't just replace the private sector entirely with the 'jobs guarantee program' given its inherent qualities.
    You know straight-off that this is false: Respond to my macroeconomic arguments about inflation and how that relates to full-employment/output, and then we actually are capable of getting on to the functioning of the job guarantee program.

Not getting the macroeconomics sorted, means we talk about the job guarantee and you say "that is false because my view on macroeconomics says 'x'", which means it is that which needs to be debated, and which people are very conspicuously avoiding.

I'll repeat it again here (from a reply to SupaNova2 - who steadfastly tries to deflect from addressing this, despite it being core to the entire debate):
    Do you disagree, that inflation is primarily a resource problem, and that when using money creation, it is unavoidable primarily when full economic-output/employment is reached, and that inflation caused before reaching that point, is a distributional/efficiency problem with where money is being spent? (with money being spent on resources of limited supply, when it should be reallocated to more abundant resources)

Do you also disagree, that where there is an abundance of physical resources for manufacturing, that inflation in areas of the private economy caused by retooling production, is a temporary problem only? (caused by temporarily constrained supply of manufactured goods - where production will be ramped up to resolve this)

If you agree with that, then it's very easy to draw a path to the policies I advocate - the remaining arguments being largely just political.

The rest of your post is yet another deliberate and dishonest straw-man, comparing the job guarantee to a command economy - you are utterly incapable of debating this topic, without going right back to some variety of the Communist bashing nonsense.

Every question you ask, begs the question that I am promoting a Communist-like command economy (and in admitting your own ignorance of my policies, you betray again an argument from ignorance, which completely discredits your criticisms), and thus is inherently false, and further bolsters that you are only interested in rhetoric and rhetorical circlejerking with followers of your own ideology, and will do everything manageable to avoid actual non-fallacious argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Out of interest, what was the "make work" provided by the guarantee scheme in Zimbabwe? Was it doing anything productive or was it like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Williamson_Tunnels

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Surprise surprise, more evasions and more accusations of straw-men. Tell us, then KyussBishop, since nobody on this thread seems to be able to accurately sum up your position, what is it you are talking about?

• Advertisement

Valmont wrote: »
    Surprise surprise, more evasions and more accusations of straw-men. Tell us, then KyussBishop, since nobody on this thread seems to be able to accurately sum up your position, what is it you are talking about?
    Are you going to respond to the macro argument I quoted right in that post, or not? I've already explained how all other arguments (including the job guarantee) go back to exactly that, and you pretend you score on some minor 'point' there.

You're not going to lead the debate, by forcing it to be about the job guarantee, through being demanding in questions - either you are capable of voicing your disagreements to the arguments I present regarding inflation and full employment/output, or you have no argument there at all.

Repeating again:

If you have no disagreements with that, it makes the job guarantee a matter of logistics only, not of whether or not it is possible - I'm not going to let you skip past the macro argument, so you can nitpick over details of the actual implementation (with the purpose of remaining eternally 'unconvinced', so you can sneer away at it), when submitting to this overall macro argument completely removes the need for that entire debate.

Advertisement