Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1670 parish maps -New websites tomorrow - Cromwell Down Survey

• 12-05-2013 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/maps-reveal-owners-of-lands-taken-by-cromwell-29259859.html

This will be very interesting, of course there won't be as many names like the Griffiths Valuation but it will be interesting to see places where ancestors were living in 1690.

www.downsurvey.tcd.ie
    The 1670 parish maps, which he described as "amazingly accurate", have now been digitised and loaded on to modern-day Google maps to give a complete picture of "who owned what".

The 'Down' refers to the chains that were literally "put down" on the ground to measure every inch of Ireland from the smallest parish to the biggest of the 32 counties.

The result was not only an incredibly detailed view of Ireland of the time but also provided a set of beautiful maps that have historic and artistic significance

"People will be able to look at their own parishes and see where people were living in the 17th Century – we have used it for two months in classes and it was a great hit with students – they all wanted to look up areas they came from or parts of the country they knew."

Putting the data together has also been something of a CSI-type operation after the original 'Down Survey' collection was destroyed in the first Custom House fire in 1711.

However, copies made at the time and used 'in the field', survived. And more than 2,000 maps have now been traced to libraries and archives in Dublin, London, Edinburgh, Paris and Rome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

Actually the site seems to be up today, maybe the link the Sindo gave is going live tomorrow.

http://phaedrus.cs.tcd.ie/petty/petty/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

I think records may be incomplete.
    I looked for the barony of Burrishoole in Mayo and the website informs me that this map was destroyed in 1711.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Call me Al wrote: »
    I think records may be incomplete.
    I looked for the barony of Burrishoole in Mayo and the website informs me that this map was destroyed in 1711.

I think whole counties are missing like Galway.

Does anyone know if this survey provides only the just new landowners or old and new?

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

robp wrote: »
    I think whole counties are missing like Galway.

Does anyone know if this survey provides only the just new landowners or old and new?

I got Galway earlier, but can't get it now. Maybe it's just busy on the site right now, it being the very first day and all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

afaik parts of Connacht (Mayo, Roscommon, maybe Galway ?) were not surveyed as that was were dispossessed were expected to end up. Hence the phrase "To hell or to Connacht"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

shanew wrote: »
    afaik parts of Connacht (Mayo, Roscommon, maybe Galway ?) were not surveyed as that was were dispossessed were expected to end up. Hence the phrase "To hell or to Connacht"

That would make sense but I had the idea it was destroyed and no copies were found for these areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Same for Tullogh in Clare. Destroyed in 1711 :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

'Chapell Lizard' :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Very interesting only thing is, they don't have my townland and the maps are upside down and they won't tilt up.

Advertisement