Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Concern Nothing but Money Whores

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

If only some of their chuggers were actual whores...

• Site Banned Posts: 103 ✭✭newsunglasses

I meant , were there vulnerable individuals at risk while in the of the person who was eventually sacked ?

Re - read what i said,there is a relief panel,which means there are a panel relief workers who can cover this.

Nobody was left vuneralble,the regional manager has to account for this also.They werent just fired on the spot,they were given due notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

woodoo wrote: »
    They should put half the money towards contraception. The population growth in Africa is not sustainable. http://www.visualizing.org/visualizations/population-growth-africa-1950-2100

Concern + Contraception :eek: - I think not :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I've lost all time for the Charities in Africa.

I donate to local charities and also to a food shelter in Cork City.

Not out of guilt but I've seen first hand what the work they do and I proudly support them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Re - read what i said,there is a relief panel,which means there are a panel relief workers who can cover this.

Nobody was left vuneralble,the regional manager has to account for this also.They werent just fired on the spot,they were given due notice.

What I'm trying to say is while in the immediate care of the individual staff member , who wasn't doing his/her job were there individuals at risk ?

I understand what relief workers are.Where I work relief workers are called in when other staff are unavailable.

• Advertisement

Yes they were at risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Yes they were at risk.

when were you employed there ?

late 2006 - 2008 was my 2 and a half year stint there..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

vicwatson wrote: »
    Concern + Contraception :eek: - I think not :P

Why not? Concern are a secular organisation and not affiliated with any religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I have worked in a few charities and they are all top heavy full of management types,too many cheifs and not enough indians.

There all cosy holes in a lot of these places minding their own arses.
    Just in my own experience, there would have been a lot of managers in the NGO I worked for. But they all had clearly defined roles in charge of their own services. I could question the suitability of some people in these roles, but the roles themselves were absolutely necessary.

You are right though about not enough front line staff, and I'd suspect there is money there to hire more people, but it's being spent in the wrong places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Why not? Concern are a secular organisation and not affiliated with any religion.

It's history is steeped in Catholicism - from their website -

"Africa Concern (as it started out) with the Knights of Columbanus launched an appeal in June 1968 for the famine in Biafra with the slogan "Send One Ship"."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_of_Columbanus

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Africa is a black hole for money and it will be a cold day in hell before i ever send anything to that part of the world.
    Let's not forget about the huge flows of money from Africa.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/05/14/uk_firm_subsidiaries_tax_havens/
    "Poor countries lose an estimated three times more money to tax havens than they receive in aid each year - money needed to build roads, fund schools and finance developing countries’ own fight against hunger and poverty," he added.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭dan dan

The business of charity is exactly that ,business. It is the career of the charity people . It is a multi,multi trillion unit industry for the boys in the countries ,being aided. It is in their GREATEST INTEREST, to maintain poverty and starvation .It`s their best cash crop. We maintain this situation by subscribing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

vicwatson wrote: »
    It's history is steeped in Catholicism - from their website -

The entire country was in 1968. Concern are non-denominational. The Catholic Church or its ethos and dogma has no influence into how the organisation is run and has not for many years.

Trocaire on the other hand is the overseas aid wing of the Catholic Church and more often than not people jump to conclusions and lump them all in together.

Concern are secular - non-religious.

You know, there are some of you here with very valid points as well as criticisms, but my oh my there's a huge level of stupidity and ignorance too. If you have questions about anything to with the organisation, why not ask them? They have plenty of folks on the street more often than not so it's not that difficult.

Instead of generalising with great ignorance, educate yourself. Then decide. Call them and ask about their administrative costs... About salaries... (they are one of the few who are fully transparent). Ask them if they distribute condoms(they do). Ask them how they distribute funds and if they give their money to corrupt governments (they don't, they programme directly with the poor with a strong focus on accountability - they have the systems to prove it).

Then, if you feel that answers your questions and that overseas aid to the least developed countries is for you and you have disposable income, well then donate. That's what I did/do.

If not, don't. Their "chuggers" are only armed with a clipboard and their charm to get your contact details. Nothing more sinister than that.

Finally, to the OP - how do you get your money? Work for it I suppose? For as much as you can get?

Advertisement