Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keith Barry on the Saturday night show

Options
  • 12-05-2013 10:22am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭

Keith Barry on the Saturday night show what’s your opinion, could they all be just talented like this, and for the future could map something out on calculations. It makes you think doesn’t it? Personally I found it very insensitive

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

D.Campbell wrote: »
    Keith Barry on the Saturday night show what’s your opinion, could they all be just talented like this, and for the future could map something out on calculations. It makes you think doesn’t it? Personally I found it very insensitive

I'd love to be read to see if its "real" but I did find those women brought to tears on national tv to be hard viewing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭D.Campbell

I'd love to be read to see if its "real" but I did find those women brought to tears on national tv to be hard viewing.

He said he is not a medium?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Sunny.Days

I found him very insensitive. Fair enough he's there to sell tickets but he's rehashing horrible moments for these ladies and I felt he did it very coldly. He lacks social skills compared to others in his field like Derren Brown.

I totally agree a new low to sell tickets. But he is always discrediting mediums and psychics, my question is has he a point or not, if he didn’t know them then it’s pretty hard to prove otherwise. But if thats the case he could tune into everyone and use it to his advantage which he hasn’t

• Registered Users Posts: 44 silverfield

Yeah it was a pretty pathetic display of his "skills". Would not go and see this manipulator of (vulnerable) people at all. You wouldn't catch him trying to do that rubbish in a room full of academics. He clearly picked two people who were more susceptible to his powers of suggestion. He is a magician and all effects leading up to the actual point of “contacting the dead” can be easily explained with a google search. From his meantalism chair (http://www.cobra-magic.com/product/1) to his moving glass Ouija board, they are all easily purchased props. What really annoyed me about this performance was the callousness in which he operated when delivering the messages “from the dead”. He clearly had pre show details on these people lives and used that information as entertainment, how he sleeps at night is beyond me. I guess he clears his conscience at the end of his performance by saying that he is not a medium (even though he ridiculously rolls his eyes when supposedly spirit writing – brutal acting).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 dm012345

Very interesting reading your points guys, I watched the show and have to say I was taken in hook line and sinker thought it was spookingly impressive, although I have very little knowledge of the whole area. Silverfield mentions he must have had pre show info on the two guests which suggests the shows organisers gave him guest details which I find disgraceful. With the first girl he had someone come through relating to the girl beside her which suggests the girls arrived together and jumped to any of the seats that suited.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

dm012345 wrote: »
    Very interesting reading your points guys, I watched the show and have to say I was taken in hook line and sinker thought it was spookingly impressive, although I have very little knowledge of the whole area. Silverfield mentions he must have had pre show info on the two guests which suggests the shows organisers gave him guest details which I find disgraceful. With the first girl he had someone come through relating to the girl beside her which suggests the girls arrived together and jumped to any of the seats that suited.

I vaguely remember an episode of the mentalist where it showed that staff of the mentalist hover and make conversation with audience members (pretending to be other audience members) and strike up conversations with them about the upcoming display and possibly get info like that which can be perfect fodder for the show.
    I am a total skeptic, I think I would only be able to believe if I hadn't discussed any details with anyone and then got picked.

dm012345 wrote: »
    omg you could be so right about the seats as we do swap within a group, people would want to be very careful when going to these kind of shows. why didnt he just ask the crowd who would like to participate and not just pick. The guy who read me knew things that I didnt know so he couldn't have read my mind. If I had the talent that he claims to have I would use it to a better advantage like walk into the banks with all the security codes way to go ,:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 harry smith

Silverfield got it so right. It was awful to watch.Keith even forgot which of the chairs had the electric shock installed in it!
    At least a medium can re-assure someone even if they are a fraud.Keith always blabbers on that he does'nt claim any
    paranormal ability.So upsetting someone with a magic trick is alright then!
    I can't understand why RTE stick him on chat shows all the time.
    His day job was making cosmetics and for the sake of his family and the craft of magic he should go back to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

I know people who have lost loved ones and who spent 12 months in a depression ward in hospital who then paid someone like this to talk to their loved ones. These types pop up time and time again on the Tubridy Show, The Saturday Night Show and other shows both here and in the UK as well. Then, you also have the related types who claim they have seen statues move, Jesus, Mary, Padre Pio, etc. Or as Joe Coleman said fight with the devil!!

Personally, I thought Keith Barry was ABOVE this type of thing and was 100% a magician/entertainer but apparently not. This has imo tarnished his previous good name and shows he is desperate.

Preying on vulnerable people is wrong and I know from the people I know that these do research on their potential victims to find out who they have lost. Then, they can sound very convincing. RTE has traditionally always given airtime to these types because they arouse controversy but it is wrong to exploit depressed and vulnerable people.

• Advertisement

Silverfield got it so right. It was awful to watch.Keith even forgot which of the chairs had the electric shock installed in it!
    At least a medium can re-assure someone even if they are a fraud.Keith always blabbers on that he does'nt claim any
    paranormal ability.So upsetting someone with a magic trick is alright then!
    I can't understand why RTE stick him on chat shows all the time.
    His day job was making cosmetics and for the sake of his family and the craft of magic he should go back to it.

Keith Barry is fine when he sticks to magic. He should concentrate on being a magic entertainer. Good harmless fun. BUT he should not attempt to be a medium or psychic as this is a con and hurts people more in the longrun. People may believe these types for a while but will cop on eventually and feel even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭King Mallie

Have any of you guys e mailed to RTE to complain or has everyone just not going to bother and this stuff will keep happening while we pay the ridicolus tv license:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 harry smith

I have emailed RTE about this and other things but they don't care.
    You just get the standard automatic email reply.
    If someone does bother to read complaints it is most likely a poor junior.
    They are far to comfortable with the license fee and advertising revenue to bother.

Have any of you guys e mailed to RTE to complain or has everyone just not going to bother and this stuff will keep happening while we pay the ridicolus tv license:confused:

I am sick of emailing them with suggestions but they are dictators who want us to pay licence fees and give us tosh in return. Tubridy deserves to be on the dole as he is useless.

Advertisement