Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting dog to stay in yard without barking!

• 12-05-2013 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Has anybody any methods/techniques for training my dog to stay out in the yard without barking the back door down.He is mostly a house dog but when we have visitors that are not too keen on dogs we put him out.But this is very stressful as he just wants to get back in.any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

If he's a lone house dog I can understand why he's barking- he must be pretty confused. My dog would do the exact same. They probably feel they are being punished, or that you just haven't copped they want to come in.

My advice would be to get him used to being alone in another room of the house so you can close the door while guests are over (this works well with my dog) or crate train him so he can be with you, but seperate and out of the way of guests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'd recommend giving him a frozen kong to work on while your visitors are around. This should keep him quiet whether he's in the garden, another room, or a crate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Dhampir

Any luck with this? My dog whines anytime she's outside and knows there is someone inside. Unless she hears my car go out the drive she'll whine until someone lets her in. I don't give in easily and let her in the minute she starts. Many a morning my house mate would be going to work and would let her outside. And within 10 mins of her leaving the dog starts whining. She must just sense I'm still up in bed. So no lie in's for me on a Saturday! I'm more worried the neighbours will get annoyed if she keeps this up. If she knows we're all gone she won't whine. Is there a way of controlling this. She's such a smart dog. Can do numerous tricks. But she's way too needy!! She never likes being on her own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Dhampir wrote: »
    Any luck with this? My dog whines anytime she's outside and knows there is someone inside. Unless she hears my car go out the drive she'll whine until someone lets her in. I don't give in easily and let her in the minute she starts. Many a morning my house mate would be going to work and would let her outside. And within 10 mins of her leaving the dog starts whining. She must just sense I'm still up in bed. So no lie in's for me on a Saturday! I'm more worried the neighbours will get annoyed if she keeps this up. If she knows we're all gone she won't whine. Is there a way of controlling this. She's such a smart dog. Can do numerous tricks. But she's way too needy!! She never likes being on her own.

Can she not stay in the house?

She has learned to open the doors and well the bin is the first thing she'll go for. Plus she's a lab cross, she's well used to being outside. It's gotten to the point that even when I let her out to the toilet. She'll whine the minute she's finished to get back in. I wouldn't mind if it was cold. And her whining is REALLY loud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

clever dog - why would she stay outside on her own, when she can be in the far more comfortable house, with you and your housemate for company?! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,030 ✭✭✭✭cena

Mine barks at neighbours both side of me. But not if he can see them

Well I've figured out half the problem. Last night when I was walking her, she didn't come back to me when I called her. She's gotten very cheeky the last few weeks, not listening to us. Both of us have started bringing our other halves around and they spoil the dog. For example letting her up on the bed, the couch, letting her away with murder. So now she thinks she can get away with anything. So basically I've got to start from scratch and discipline her again. She's too smart for her own good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sorry but thats not why she whimpers when shes outside. She does that as she wants to be inside with company, not on her own in the garden.

Both my dogs will whine to come back in if they are outside, its only natural.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

andreac wrote: »
    Sorry but thats not why she whimpers when shes outside. She does that as she wants to be inside with company, not on her own in the garden.

Both my dogs will whine to come back in if they are outside, its only natural.

+1 She doesn't have some master plan or is trying to be clever - she's lonely?
    You need to train her to be outside so start with 30 seconds and build it up.

• Advertisement

Ok cool, I'll try to build it up. It's just I've never seen a dog so needy. We have a pitbull at the home house and he has no problem pottering around the garden. Never whines to get in. Actually though I suppose he's never been used to being inside much. Whereas when I got my dog I took her in and she spent half the time outside half in. But when anyone is at home she has to be in beside us. Never leaves our side. Extremely attached.

Advertisement