Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold water set up

Options
  • 12-05-2013 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi, I have been googling and reading the various threads here about setting up a cold water fish tank, but want to make sure I do it right.

Basically I got a Fluval Edge about 2 years ago, and have set it up with heater etc twice, both times the fish were just not right in it so relocated them both times to our bigger mature tank. the tank was not over stocked on both occasions as I kno alot of fish ppl are against the size of the fluval edge as its quite small.

anywho enough rambling! the tank has been on my counter for nearly 8 months Clean & EMPTY!! such a waste of money staring at me everyday!! so I want to set it up as a cold water tank and hopefully be more successfull than previously!

so have a full set of new filters, clean stones, plants etc....what kind of cycling would any of you pros recommend for a cold water fluval edge tank???

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Honestly, it's too small for anything aside from shrimp so why not flog it on adverts and see if you can find something more suitable?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Is that one 46L? You could do a nice betta set up in that.

ETA: D'oh, just realised you said cold water. Unfortunately it isn't really big enough for even a small group of White Cloud Minnows. I recommend getting a heater and going for shrimp, a betta, or maybe someone could advise about nanofish.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 jm84

I have a heater in it, so will prob turn it on, was just wondering if coldwater would work better in the fluval edge.

I havent added any water treatment yet, from reading mixed reports on different ways to cycle the tank, I'm trying to decide how to start!!! any recs?

I think I am going to go for a shrimp set up, I have a couple in my other tank and find them interesting to watch, should I go for live plants too for them?! or are shrimp ok with no live plants?

Many thanks for your help!

eta: I also read on another site that if I have an establised tank already I can add the filter media to my new tank to cycle? is this true?!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If you already have an established tank, it's a simple matter of filling the tank with de-chlorinated water and once it's up to temperature, giving one of the sponges from your existing tank a squeeze in the water to transfer some of the bacteria from it into the new tank.

Test the volume of your tank when you're filling it. The edge tanks I've seen in petshops seem to only hold 10-20 litres of water which is far too small a volume of water for any sort of fish. A Betta might survive in it but it wouldn't be ideal.

Advertisement