Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Contract Cancellation

• 12-05-2013 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

Hi guys i seen here like a week ago there was a change to the UPC contract and that UPC had to let you out of your contract under some law just wondering where is it ?

Also as i have 3 mouths left on my Contract how much does it cost to get rid off ? and also as i am moveing out of mine soon and there us other people moveing in what is the best way of going around not living the UPC here ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

UPC will charge you €150 euro cancellation charge for cancelling inside of contract.

And they're very reluctant to listen to reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Magicmatilda

You can move your UPC with you. As long a you are moving to an area serviced by UPC. Otherwise there is a 150.00 cancellation charge which you agreed to as part of your contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rkan

I received that email too and it specifically says that you can cancel without penalty:

However, you have the right to cancel or downgrade your service within 30 days of receipt of this notice without penalty if you choose not to accept these changes.

Has anyone sucessfully cancelled UPC contract without penalty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

From comreg.

http://www.askcomreg.ie/tell_us/switching_fixed_telephony%28landlines%29___exercise_your_choice.232.LE.asp

Is the service provider allowed to change a contract?

Yes, the law allows your service provider to change the terms and conditions of its service, including its prices. However, it must notify you of the changes at least one month in advance and tell you that you have the right to end the contract without penalty within the month if you do not accept the change(s).

ken wrote: »
    From comreg.

http://www.askcomreg.ie/tell_us/switching_fixed_telephony%28landlines%29___exercise_your_choice.232.LE.asp

Is the service provider allowed to change a contract?

Yes, the law allows your service provider to change the terms and conditions of its service, including its prices. However, it must notify you of the changes at least one month in advance and tell you that you have the right to end the contract without penalty within the month if you do not accept the change(s).

Just wondering what the position would be if you were only six months into a UPC contract and they make changes to the contract? Does the customer have the right to end the contract without penalty in that scenario or must they pay the UPC cancelation fee of €150?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

rkan wrote: »
    I received that email too and it specifically says that you can cancel without penalty:

However, you have the right to cancel or downgrade your service within 30 days of receipt of this notice without penalty if you choose not to accept these changes.

Has anyone sucessfully cancelled UPC contract without penalty?

Yes, I have done this.

When did you get the email?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

You can move your UPC with you. As long a you are moving to an area serviced by UPC. Otherwise there is a 150.00 cancellation charge which you agreed to as part of your contract.

If you move to an area that UPC does not service you can cancel with no cancellation fee. If you have have TV, phone and BB and the area your moving to only has TV, you will be expected to keep the TV or face a cancellation fee for that service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Had a look there and i got a letter saying there changing the terms and conditions of my contact does that mean i can use this

change in T&C results in you being able to get out of contract for free without penalty according to EU regulation 17 ?

Update i have just canceled my contact thanks to EU regulation 17 i am now 150 euros better off delighted with that one

Had a look there and i got a letter saying there changing the terms and conditions of my contact does that mean i can use this

change in T&C results in you being able to get out of contract for free without penalty according to EU regulation 17 ?

Update i have just canceled my contact thanks to EU regulation 17 i am now 150 euros better off delighted with that one

How did you go about this? I sent an email to resolutionteam@upc.ie today to cancel my contract ( I received the email less than 30 days ago) and the automated response says I must pay the €150 if my contract is under one year.

I still have a few months left on my contract so wondering if i will need to pay the €150?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

rkan wrote: »
    How did you go about this? I sent an email to resolutionteam@upc.ie today to cancel my contract ( I received the email less than 30 days ago) and the automated response says I must pay the €150 if my contract is under one year.

I still have a few months left on my contract so wondering if i will need to pay the €150?

I called them up as i got a latter saying there will be changes in my contract and that i was not happy with them so the girl offered me money off my bill said no i wont to cancel my contract she put a note on my acc from when i send the email in to them and there will be no charge thats what i was told

• Advertisement
Advertisement