Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consumer advice required second hand item sale

Options
  • 12-05-2013 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Ok, I'm not sure where I stand here and any advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Here's the situation. I posted an advert on a website here in Ireland advertising a second hand VW radio for sale. I received a call from a man agreeing to buy and I traveled some of the way to meet him to save him a long journey.

I showed him the radio working in my car, I went through all the functions, radio cd etc and all worked.

The radio was then plugged into his car and not properly installed, it was just placed loosely into the dash and plugged in, I inputted the radio code and it worked fine, it only took a minute as it was a simple plug and play job, while there he showed me a unit he bought on an auction website in the UK, it allows you to play music from a usb stick or memory card through your vw radio, its not made by VW and he said it was not compatible with the current vw radio in his car and hence the reason he was buying mine, he informed me it plugged into the rear of the radio into the cd changer port, he did not plug it in in my presence, and as I was leaving he ejected my cd from the radio.

30 minutes later I receive a call from him and he told me the cd was not working and the information screen on the radio said "CD IN". Now at this point it was my opinion that he plugged in the aftermarket unit he purchased and that and was not compatible with the radio and may have short circuited something or done some damage, although I cant prove this, it's just my opinion.

He now wants his money returned and to give me back the radio, where do I stand in this situation, have I any right or does he? Or is there any legal stuff that looks after sales like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Private sale ... to your knowledge it was working, legally he has no standing.

Would be different if you were a business.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's a private sale. You sold it in good faith, and he purchased in good faith, having seen it working. He has no recourse.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

He could go after you through the courts, but if everything happened as you say it happened then he would lose and would be a fool to go down that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mark_Egan

Thanks guys, I kinda feel bad in a way but I found it strange that it broke within 30 mins of me selling it especially when there was never a problem before and the fact he was plugging in some after market unit to it as well, anyway I appreciate the help

Advertisement