Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Practicing in a housing estate

• 12-05-2013 1:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Not sure if this is in the right forum, presume it is though.

I passed my theory test the other day, am now waiting for my license to come back.

The bike is no longer taxed, don't have insurance for it yet blah blah blah haha

Anyhow, just in relation to housing estates, are the roads in housing estates private?

I'm well able to ride a motrobike but am using the road outside my house as practice for corners and turn signals etc...

Just wondering if I can get in much trouble if the guards come along? They have been around twice now but I haven't been out.

Thanks all!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Hey all,

I passed my theory test the other day, am now waiting for my license to come back.

The bike is no longer taxed, don't have insurance for it yet blah blah blah haha

Anyhow, just in relation to housing estates, are the roads in housing estates private?

I'm well able to ride a motrobike but am using the road outside my house as practice for corners and turn signals etc...

Just wondering if I can get in much trouble if the guards come along? They have been around twice now but I haven't been out.

Thanks all!

No they are public roads and yes no tax or insurance are two offenses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Hey all,

Thanks all!

You should be more concerned about taxing and insuring the bike before you take it out.

Imagine what would happen if you smacked off someones cars,hit a kid playing ball or even if another car hit you.

You would be fooked,by both the gardai and when it came to trying to get a propper licence and also get bike insurance.

And yes the gardai can and will hammer you for riding a bike with no insurance or tax.

Bike will be taken off you and impounded.Lots of penalty points on your licence too.

Kiss your ass and your bike goodbye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

There is something wrong if somebody passes a theory test and doesn't know this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

• A fine of up to €2,500
    • Disqualification of one year or more for a first offence and two years or more for a second offence, and
    • At the discretion of the court, a term of imprisonment not exceeding six months

Also, if you damage someones car, and you don't have the money to pay to get it fixed, you'll be in a whole world of legal hurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭gipi

You're not licenced to be on the road until you've done IBT either - your learner permit isn't valid without an IBT certificate.

• Advertisement

gipi wrote: »
    You're not licenced to be on the road until you've done IBT either - your learner permit isn't valid without an IBT certificate.

Tripple whammy and lots of penalty points then,for future application to said permit...

Food for thought for the OP then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Alright lads chill haha

I should have said the road is a cul de sac with no other cars or children on it. I do know from the theory test and am not that stupid.

Just thought it would be a place to practice for the IBT, like I said there's never any other cars or children or pedestrians etc...

Thanks anyways.

Alright lads chill haha

I should have said the road is a cul de sac with no other cars or children on it. I do know from the theory test and am not that stupid.

Just thought it would be a place to practice for the IBT, like I said there's never any other cars or children or pedestrians etc...

Thanks anyways.

Did you read any of the posts at all????:pac:

Your IBT instructor will take you through everything you need to know,and he will show you how to do everything propperly and in a safe and controlled manner.

And all legally too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

You don't have to practice for the IBT. You practice after it, when you're taxed and insured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

IBT is Initial Basic Training.
    Not unusual for people to come for training with NO Experience.
    No need to train before ibt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

IBT is Initial Basic Training.
    Not unusual for people to come for training with NO Experience.
    No need to train before ibt.

^^ what he said

and my advice will be do not drive without insurance and tax at all.

Unless it's a private road which I doubt it is, it's a public road, and you can get a nice fine & ban if caught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

the_syco wrote: »
    Unless it's a private road which I doubt it is, it's a public road, and you can get a nice fine & ban if caught.

And you have answered my question. Thanks very much!

Look guys, I know I shouldnt do it, but I wasnt here for ooh thats stupid, ooh you did your theory test how did you pass it.

All I simply asked was is illegal and mainly.. are housing estate roads private?

Thanks for the replies anyways guys.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Look guys, I know I shouldnt do it, but I wasnt here for ooh thats stupid, ooh you did your theory test how did you pass it.

All I simply asked was is illegal and mainly.. are housing estate roads private?

Unfortunately you can no longer get a straight answer on boards without the tut-tutters and the high horse brigade stepping in. Best of luck with the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Unfortunately you can no longer get a straight answer on boards without the tut-tutters and the high horse brigade stepping in. Best of luck with the bike.

lol .... he passed a test where they should have teach him how to behave and what to do, some basics, right? what kind of respond would you expect? i think boards are the most reliable and actualy very gentle forum. and at the end of the day ho got his respond in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

In fairness to the replies you received ~ it was a bit of a thick question.

Pretty sure only if they're gated.

Eh,unless you are reading a completely different thread to the rest of us,then he actually did get an honest straight answer to his questions,from alot of bike forum members

Nothing to do with high horse brigade at all.....which you seem to like to post about alot.:(

Either be fully complient and road legal or else dont use any motorbike on the road until you are fully complient and road legal.

Thats the law (which we all abide by) and its as simple as that.

I would hope and expect that you would agree with the law too.

paddy147 wrote: »
    Eh,unless you are reading a completely different thread to the rest of us,then he actually did get an honest straight answer to his questions,from alot of bike forum members

Nothing to do with high horse brigade at all.....which you seem to like to post about alot.:(

Either be fully complient and road legal or else dont use any motorbike until you are fully complient and road legal.

Thats the law (which we all abide by) and its as simple as that.

I would hope and expect that you would agree with the law too.

No there's lots of laws I don't agree with or abide by.

But I'm sure you're an angel in the real world :rolleyes:

No there's lots of laws I don't agree with or abide by.

But I'm sure you're an angel in the real world :rolleyes:

You cant handle any criticism,can you???

You go very defensive and dont like it when people post against what you post.

You seem to adopt this type of posting when you are pulled up on your narky/bitchy posting attitude.

Cop yourself on and wize up with regards this thread and the law.

Try re-reading the thread again,and you will see lots of straight/honest answers to the OPs questions.

Regards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭bitburger

sometime in 2010 i had had a moped on the road for around a month, maybe a little less, i bought a vespa px for myself, i was so dying to get a go on somthing with gears for the first time ever that i just went out into the estate and had a mess around, i stalled it pretty much every time i stopped and all the rest, i barely knew what a clutch was haha,

so i got to the mouth of the estate and the garda car was going into the estate and passed me trying to get the thing into neutral so i could kick it again, same thing happened at another junction in the estate and he called me over, me with my lack of tax or insurance ****ting it he asked me a few questions about having a license etc and what type of license it was, eventually asked had i insurance and i said yes, he goes "ah sure stick it into my cubby hole up at the station my name is garda x" i went on anyway and produced insurance for a different vespa and never heard anything else, i later learned of what he could of done to me,I was 17 and didnt really care at the time though,and its the sort of estate where a fully grown man could go out on his sons quad bike around the estate and the guard would only tell him to put it in and cop onto himself,

not worth the hassle if your caught though and it is definitely a public road.

You cant handle any criticism,can you???

You go very defensive and dont like it when people post against what you post.

You seem to adopt this type of posting when you are pulled up on your narky/bitchy posting attitude.

I guess I get tired of listening to the gospel according to Paddy.

Cop yourself on and wize up with regards this thread and the law.

Try re-reading the thread again,and you will see lots of straight/honest answers to the OPs questions.

Regards.

A straight/honest would have been:

"OP I wouldn't advise it, estates are public roads just like any other road."

That is a far cry from most of the posts in this thread.

I guess I get tired of listening to the gospel according to Paddy.

A straight/honest would have been:

"OP I wouldn't advise it, estates are public roads just like any other road."

That is a far cry from most of the posts in this thread.

Did you you give the OP advice here over his many questions??

Oh no wait..YOU DIDNT

All you did was come in and whale on anyone who actually did give the OP honest advice to his questions.

The law is the law and its there for a reason,and we as bikers abide by it.

Maybe you dont see it like that,but the rest of us do.

And then when you are asked whether you agree with and abide by the law regarding taxing,insuring and riding a motorbike,you post all these bitchy posts.

Pick a fight with someone else or go ruin another thread somewhere else on boards.

If you want to fight with someone or bitch at someone,then go stand in front of the mirror and pick a fight with yourself.

Either way cop yourself on here and wize up.

Regards and good night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Disclaimer here; I regularly speed, I wheelie on public roads and have poxy lane discipline.

You mad? Yep, you mad :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Where is Officer Dibbles when you need him?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Where is Officer Dibbles when you need him?????

No doubt he will be along shortly since you have now post :pac::pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭Mr Motorcycle

All the guys are saying is under no circumstances should a bike be on the road any road and that includes any housing estate ,cul de sac, or industrial estate till you have your IBT done and the bike is taxed and insured

or the short answer to your question was/is NO

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭Mr Motorcycle

All the guys are saying is under no circumstances should a bike be on the road any road and that includes any housing estate ,cul de sac, or industrial estate till you have your IBT done and the bike is taxed and insured

or the short answer to your question was/is Yes it is illegal

• Advertisement
Advertisement