Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emobile dongle won't install. End of tether!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Think that might be the issue. I'm not finding much in the way of these dongles working on XP. Vista seems to be the earliest that I can find them working on. Could you plug it into the Win 7 laptop and try and create a hotspot from there that you can connect to from the XP laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Unregistered39

Soundman wrote: »
    Think that might be the issue. I'm not finding much in the way of these dongles working on XP. Vista seems to be the earliest that I can find them working on. Could you plug it into the Win 7 laptop and try and create a hotspot from there that you can connect to from the XP laptop?

Now you're scaring me! The laptop I work on (the banjaxed one) isn't wireless enabled. Wouldn't I need wireless for a hotspot? Also, the original dongle worked fine. It was only when I tried to install the new one that it went haywire.

What make/model was the old dongle?

What make/model was the old dongle?

It was Huawei too. Model E173u-2

Hmm. Just reading all I can on the eMobile site and it should be working fine on XP. Have you installed the Broadband Manager Software?

• Advertisement

Hmm. Just reading all I can on the eMobile site and it should be working fine on XP. Have you installed the Broadband Manager Software?

It may be exhaustion from looking at my screen(s) but I am very touched by people's helpfulness! No I haven't. Where would I find such a thing?

Did you get a CD with the dongle??

Did you get a CD with the dongle??

Nope. It was meant to just plug in and install itself. It appears not to have done that!

Hmm. I'm not finding a link to the software anywhere. The eMobile site seems to have a couple of pages down or removed as well.

Did it come with a micro SD card to insert into the dongle? Make sure both SIM and SD card are in properly if it came with both. From what you have been saying, it is having issues finding drivers for the storage part of it rather than the actual broadband part.

• Advertisement

Did it come with a micro SD card to insert into the dongle? Make sure both SIM and SD card are in properly if it came with both. From what you have been saying, it is having issues finding drivers for the storage part of it rather than the actual broadband part.

It's the same sim from the old dongle. It's in properly and working fine - I'm using it now on this laptop.

Thanks again,

E

Ok. What Service Pack is your XP laptop running? Is it fully up to date? What I am reading now says that it would need to be Service Pack 3.

Also saying that it's specs are:

-Driverless
    -Zero installation
    -Auto connect, auto reconnect

Makes it even more strange that you are having issues.

Ok. What Service Pack is your XP laptop running? Is it fully up to date? What I am reading now says that it would need to be Service Pack 3.

Also saying that it's specs are:

-Driverless
    -Zero installation
    -Auto connect, auto reconnect

Makes it even more strange that you are having issues.

What's a service pack and how do I find out?

Thanks, E

Click on Start and then Control Panel.

Click on the Performance and Maintenance link.

Note: If you're viewing the Classic View of Control Panel, you won't see this link. Simply double-click on the System icon and proceed to Step 4.

In the Performance and Maintenance window, click on the System Control Panel icon at the bottom of the window.

When the System Properties window opens it should default to the General tab. If not, choose it manually.

In the System: area of the General tab you'll find the operating system version and the service pack level. See the screen shot on this page for an idea of what you're looking for.

Note: If you don't have any service pack installed, you won't see "Service Pack 0" or "Service Pack None" - there will be no reference to a service pack at all.

The latest Windows XP service pack is Service Pack 3 (SP3).

If you only have SP1 or SP2 installed, I highly recommend that you install Windows XP SP3 immediately, either via Windows Update or manually via the correct link here.

Important: If you only have Windows XP SP1, or if you have no Windows XP service pack installed at all, you must first install Windows XP SP1a, available here, before installing Windows XP SP3.

Taken from: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/ht/servicepackxp.htm

Click on Start and then Control Panel.

Click on the Performance and Maintenance link.

Note: If you're viewing the Classic View of Control Panel, you won't see this link. Simply double-click on the System icon and proceed to Step 4.

In the Performance and Maintenance window, click on the System Control Panel icon at the bottom of the window.

When the System Properties window opens it should default to the General tab. If not, choose it manually.

In the System: area of the General tab you'll find the operating system version and the service pack level. See the screen shot on this page for an idea of what you're looking for.

Note: If you don't have any service pack installed, you won't see "Service Pack 0" or "Service Pack None" - there will be no reference to a service pack at all.

The latest Windows XP service pack is Service Pack 3 (SP3).

If you only have SP1 or SP2 installed, I highly recommend that you install Windows XP SP3 immediately, either via Windows Update or manually via the correct link here.

Important: If you only have Windows XP SP1, or if you have no Windows XP service pack installed at all, you must first install Windows XP SP1a, available here, before installing Windows XP SP3.

Thanks a million. I will try this in the morning if that's OK. Really appreciate your help

No bother. Hope you get sorted soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

On iqon laptop, go to control panel,security updates,set download updates automatically,If its connected to the web,
    eg by ethernet ,it,ll eventually download all the updates,sp1, sp1,
    sp3 .
    this is 100 s of megs of data.
    Then at some point ,
    Dialog box,will,. ask, do you wish to install , service pack 2, service pack 3 etc .
    Click ok, ok, install ,ok.wait.
    service pack 3 could take 20 minutes to install.
    Maybe go to friend and plug laptop into router,ia ethernet,cable
    or use wifi signal.

it could take 2 hours ,download updates ,install them.
    ON a 4meg per sec connection.
    Theres spa2,3, and various security updates.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=25129

Maybe go to netcafe,
    plug in laptop to an ethernet cable.

Download chrome,or iron browser too,

You need sp2, sp3 to protect against virus,es ,malware etc

http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php

Iron Browser is better sends no info to google .more secure too.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭superb choice of username

If you right click on the Huawei entry in the device manager (the one with the ! per your screenshot), and go to properties, you'll see a box saying device status. What is written there? It should be a code, from this, might be able to fix it.

We need to solve that problem - the computer is recognising the device, just not letting you use it, so we need to get rid of that '!'!!!

There does seem to be quite a few people on google (mostly with win 7) saying that the Huawei Modems are a bit flakey, with the users are reporting the device is only being recognised as a Mass Storage Device and not a modem...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Create a new user account on you lappy and see if it will install.

If successful you can copy the settings to your original account.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Riclad and Soundman, Service Pack 3 is already there.

Am working through suggestions one at a time!

• Advertisement

If you right click on the Huawei entry in the device manager (the one with the ! per your screenshot), and go to properties, you'll see a box saying device status. What is written there? It should be a code, from this, might be able to fix it.

We need to solve that problem - the computer is recognising the device, just not letting you use it, so we need to get rid of that '!'!!!

There does seem to be quite a few people on google (mostly with win 7) saying that the Huawei Modems are a bit flakey, with the users are reporting the device is only being recognised as a Mass Storage Device and not a modem...

Hi there, screen shot attached. It does describe it as a 'mass storage device' if that makes any difference?

In case image is unclear, it says

Huawei Mass Storage Device
    Device Type: DVD/CD-Rom drives
    Manufacturer: Standard CD-ROM drives

Device status: Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged (Code 19)

Click troubleshoot...etc. (doesn't work)

Create a new user account on you lappy and see if it will install.

If successful you can copy the settings to your original account.

Tried it. Same problem I'm afraid.

If it makes any difference, I'm now getting a solid blue light, which apparently means I'm connected to 3G. Could this have something to do with the fact that I installed it on another laptop?

when sp3 is installed, turn off pc,turn it on again, wait 3 minutes and plug in the dongle.

riclad wrote: »
    when sp3 is installed, turn off pc,turn it on again, wait 3 minutes and plug in the dongle.

Hi Riclad,

I didn't install it - it was already there.

Hi there, screen shot attached. It does describe it as a 'mass storage device' if that makes any difference?

In case image is unclear, it says

Huawei Mass Storage Device
    Device Type: DVD/CD-Rom drives
    Manufacturer: Standard CD-ROM drives

Device status: Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged (Code 19)

Click troubleshoot...etc. (doesn't work)

Not sure if you already tried this...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-hardware/usb-mass-storage-error-code-19-windows-vista-home/32b259f6-a781-43dc-b500-d7d3ea023834

"Uninstall and reinstall the driver

On the device Properties dialog box, click the Driver tab [under the Huawai Device with the !], and then click Uninstall . Follow the instructions.
    Restart your computer.
    Open Device Manager, click Action , and then click Scan for hardware changes."

Not sure if you already tried this...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-hardware/usb-mass-storage-error-code-19-windows-vista-home/32b259f6-a781-43dc-b500-d7d3ea023834

"Uninstall and reinstall the driver

On the device Properties dialog box, click the Driver tab [under the Huawai Device with the !], and then click Uninstall . Follow the instructions.
    Restart your computer.
    Open Device Manager, click Action , and then click Scan for hardware changes."

I did try but will do so again - should dongle be plugged in or not?

Thanks, E

Emm, I think when you remove the device, it will also not show up in the device manager?

So, to recap, the computer knows the device is there, but there is a code 19 in the device manager which is stopping you from using the device.

The uninstall is one solution, the others are listed here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310123 [scroll down 1/3 of page for code 19].

The second option, revert to last known good configuration, probably wont do any good as it has never worked.

So then there is the third and final option of editing the registry. Not sure how comfortable you'd be with that..

Emm, I think when you remove the device, it will also not show up in the device manager?

So, to recap, the computer knows the device is there, but there is a code 19 in the device manager which is stopping you from using the device.

The uninstall is one solution, the others are listed here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310123 [scroll down 1/3 of page for code 19].

The second option, revert to last known good configuration, probably wont do any good as it has never worked.

So then there is the third and final option of editing the registry. Not sure how comfortable you'd be with that..

Ahem. Good point! Once I've uninstalled, should I then remove the dongle while rebooting and plug back in to reinstall?

I'm not sure last known good configuration would work as a system restore didn't?

Editing the registry, hmmm. What's the worst that could happen? Could I banjax the computer altogether?

• Advertisement

reboot pc ,plug in dongle, wait 3 mins,
    GO to device manager ,see what network devices are listed.
    ethernet unit,wifi,
    is there any other network device listed,
    eg huawiea modem?
    etc i think if you could install the software to set up emobile networking connection ,the device would work,
    even if the mass storage driver is not loaded.
    eg it works as a mass storage unit,

And as a network modem device.
    maybe plug device into laptop 2, open ,explore drive,huawiea,
    copy the setup program,install program to a cdr or usb key,

THEN INSTall it on iqon laptop,using a cdr ,or usb key.

Advertisement