Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emobile dongle won't install. End of tether!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭superb choice of username

Perhaps best to remove while rebooting (although not sure if it makes much difference).

Yeah, I don't think the last know configuration would help either.

Yeah, if you were to edit the registry wrongly, it could have a detrimental impact lol. However, if you follow a guide, it there shouldn't really be any scope for problems. http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/code-19-error.htm is another website about the code 19 error, and links to a walkthrough about how to fix the error through registry adjustments - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/driverssupport/ht/upperfilters-lowerfilters.htm

Although I haven't had the need to go through that process so can't vouch for it. It does say 'easy' and looks straight forward enough though.

Yeah, what riclad says...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

if the networking program ,is installed it should work,as a modem
    even if the huawaie mass storage driver is not loaded.

i had a usb dongle, so the software was on the modem if i remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Completely uninstall any previously installed dongle software.

Boot into safe mode (Press F8 a few times when starting the PC. Select Safe Mode with Networking).

Once in safe mode, try and install it. If it installs, boot into normal mode and try it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Unregistered39

Completely uninstall any previously installed dongle software.

Boot into safe mode (Press F8 a few times when starting the PC. Select Safe Mode with Networking).

Once in safe mode, try and install it. If it installs, boot into normal mode and try it.

Tried that and it didn't work I'm afraid. Thanks though!

riclad wrote: »
    reboot pc ,plug in dongle, wait 3 mins,
    GO to device manager ,see what network devices are listed.
    ethernet unit,wifi,
    is there any other network device listed,
    eg huawiea modem?
    etc i think if you could install the software to set up emobile networking connection ,the device would work,
    even if the mass storage driver is not loaded.
    eg it works as a mass storage unit,

And as a network modem device.
    maybe plug device into laptop 2, open ,explore drive,huawiea,
    copy the setup program,install program to a cdr or usb key,

THEN INSTall it on iqon laptop,using a cdr ,or usb key.

Just the Huwai Mass Storage USB device with the same yellow exclamation mark. Under Modems it lists HDAUDIO Soft data fax Modem with SmartCP, but I'm guessing that's not anything important.

I'll try your second suggestion now, but not really sure what I'm doing!

Perhaps best to remove while rebooting (although not sure if it makes much difference).

Yeah, I don't think the last know configuration would help either.

Yeah, if you were to edit the registry wrongly, it could have a detrimental impact lol. However, if you follow a guide, it there shouldn't really be any scope for problems. http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/code-19-error.htm is another website about the code 19 error, and links to a walkthrough about how to fix the error through registry adjustments - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/driverssupport/ht/upperfilters-lowerfilters.htm

Although I haven't had the need to go through that process so can't vouch for it. It does say 'easy' and looks straight forward enough though.

OK, to hell with it. I'm going to edit the registry. I'll follow instructions to the letter and have backed up anything important in case my laptop never switches on again. Wish me luck!

Good luck, hopefully it will work. So, another recap, the dongle has the drivers on it. The computer can't access the drivers as there is a problem in reading the storage element of the device. So, hopefully, if you can clear the problem with loading it as a storage device, then the drivers should become readable.

In theory. And, that's the theory in my head, hopefully others will agree? :)

A question already! Which of these very long codes should I be using? Modem?

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/driverssupport/a/device-class-guid.htm

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Control Panel > Device Manager > Right Click on Hauwai Device that we're trying to fix> Properties > Details Tab > Change 'Property' to Driver Key > Guid will be displayed in 'value' section

Control Panel > Device Manager > Right Click on Hauwai Device that we're trying to fix> Properties > Details Tab > Change 'Property' to Driver Key > Guid will be displayed in 'value' section

Got it. Thanks.

I give up! That didn't work because there are no Upper Filters or Lower Filters and their alternative is to do the install/reinstall thing, which hasn't worked thus far. Arrrrggggh!

Thanks so much for all your help people. I think I'll go back to pencil and paper...

:( sorry couldn't get it working. That's really annoying, there's no reason why it shouldn't!

:( sorry couldn't get it working. That's really annoying, there's no reason why it shouldn't!

I know. I'm going to try to borrow another USB device from someone to see if that works.

Thanks again.

go to netcafe find pc with xp installed,
    OPEN heuwaie drive,in my computer,use explore,right click option, Copy setup program to a usb pendrive.
    or burn to a cdr.
    OR go to AN emobile shop, bring usb unit,ask em to copy setup program to usb key.
    i looked on emobile website , i cant see basic info how to install usb modem.
    it probably is in the booklet you get when you buy a modem,
    or in a pdf file.
    DO you know the modem info,
    eg huawaie model 320k?

or try in device manager huawie mass storage usb device,
    Click update driver,
    wait see what happens,
    eg when laptop is connected to a wifi network.

riclad wrote: »
    go to netcafe find pc with xp installed,
    OPEN heuwaie drive,in my computer,use explore,right click option, Copy setup program to a usb pendrive.
    or burn to a cdr.
    OR go to AN emobile shop, bring usb unit,ask em to copy setup program to usb key.
    i looked on emobile website , i cant see basic info how to install usb modem.
    it probably is in the booklet you get when you buy a modem,
    or in a pdf file.
    DO you know the modem info,
    eg huawaie model 320k?

or try in device manager huawie mass storage usb device,
    Click update driver,
    wait see what happens,
    eg when laptop is connected to a wifi network.

I'm going to try it in a friend's house later. The model is E173u-2 (old modem) or E3131 (newer modem).

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Dulchie

You might try downloading http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usbdeview.zip
    Unzip run it.

It will give you a list of usb devices attached to your computer and the associated drivers assigned to them.
    By right clicking on a particular item you can disable, remove and reinstall the particular usb device or even
    its driver.

Use the help tab for more info.

Dulchie wrote: »
    You might try downloading http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usbdeview.zip
    Unzip run it.

It will give you a list of usb devices attached to your computer and the associated drivers assigned to them.
    By right clicking on a particular item you can disable, remove and reinstall the particular usb device or even
    its driver.

Use the help tab for more info.

Thanks Dulchie. I have no internet access on the problem computer so will need to borrow someone else's if possible.

its possible you may have a virus ,which deleted the xp windows usb drivers
    files .
    see here dos usb driver,
    http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1046069/yes-usb-drivers-dos

http://panasonic.jp/com/suppor...

Use 7-Zip to extract the archive and then look in the F2H directory for USBCD.SYS and USBASPI.SYS
    reboot pc, plug in usb dongle,
    see can you see it from dos prompt,

go to Start menu,
    dos prompt,
    use command

cd e: or cd f:

or cd e;

dir e: or dir e;
    dir f;

its a universal driver should work on any usb drive.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283658
    Updating or changing a device driver

Ensure the latest device driver for each of the devices is loaded in Windows XP. Manufacturers frequently update their drivers to fix problems and take advantage of operating system features. These drivers are usually available from the manufacturer's Web site, and Microsoft also maintains driver files for many devices on its Web sites.

Upon downloading drivers, read the manufacturer's instructions before attempting to use the files to update the device. Often, downloaded driver files are compressed into a self-executing file that needs to be extracted in order to use the driver. In the Hardware Update Wizard, click to select the Have Disk option, then click the Browse button to locate the driver files.

eg browse to ,usb sys ,in previous lines, in this post.
    theres only 2 usb sys files needed.

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Well it's fixed! Two very patient friends spent a couple of hours trying stuff and we're not exactly sure what but something worked! Strangely, I can now connect without a pin number and have to manually hit 'connect' rather than it doing so automatically but I can handle that.

Am back to square one as it's the old modem that's working and don't really want to tempt fate by trying the new one again...

Thanks so much to you all for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

I had a look at chipset drivers. Am I right in saying I need to be online to install/update them? Therein lies the problem!

download them using another pc/laptop then copy them onto a memory stick and run them on the affected computer

You can install any driver, from a cdr,or usb drive,
    as outlined in my previous post.
    GO to control panel,device manager, click device ,update driver,install driver,
    browse to the file,folder,
    usually something name file.sys

NO need to be online.

Advertisement