Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed setup - advice appreciated

• 12-05-2013 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I'm putting together a new Media server setup for the house and I'd like some advice/suggestions from the community please.

Server will be either Windows 2008 with streaming services or Windows home server with Streaming services.

I plan on installing at least one (possibly more) TV tuners to support Saorview. However I would also like to be able to feed in the input from two SKY boxes to give simular abilities to our current SKY+ setup.

My question is do I have to use the SKY boxes or are there any TV cards out there that can take our sky card(s) and take the input directly from the dish?

Also if I have to keep the sky boxes how do I control the boxes to change stations?

My TV end will either be Rasberry PI (running ElecXBMC) or Sony Bravia TV which supports DNLA sources.

Would like some advice from anyone who has experience doing any of the above in the past. If you need any further information on what I'm considering please just ask.

With thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

My question is do I have to use the SKY boxes or are there any TV cards out there that can take our sky card(s) and take the input directly from the dish?

Yes there are Sat Boards out there with card slots ..... what you put in them is up to you, but it has been pointed out that using a Sky card in anything other than a Sky box is contrary to their rules and regs. and so would not be discussed on Boards.ie as I understand it.

TBS or BLackgold Sat Boards might do what you wish.

EDIT:
    As BLackgold do not release Linux drivers I would tend to avoid them in case the card might ever need to be used with Linux at some point in the future. {yes they release specific binaries for specific releases of Ubuntu, but these are useless to any other distro}

• Registered Users Posts: 5 gonesolo

Thanks for the advice. I'm not a person to go against law/company policy, thank you for pointing that out.

I have sky boxes that I can use and a running Sub with Sky for a multiroom so I can feed the output from two of the sky boxes into a TV card.

However I'm still unsure how to control the Sky boxes I've heard reference to an "IR blaster" and seen reference to remote controls on other sites but am a little unsure how they would work?

Advertisement