Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to e-juice

Options
  • 12-05-2013 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭

Has anybody thought of the fact that all the juice manufacturers claim that all they are is food flavourings with nicotine added. As an alternative I was wondering if anybody has tried vaping with just pure food flavorings available in your local Tesco or Dunnes. I personally don't get the nicotine kick so I might as well be getting 0 strength juices, but if somebody has tried this and it worked for them I might give it a shot as it works out way cheaper. Only about €1.50 for a 25ml bottle.

Thoughts???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

As in... vaping just food flavouring? Not even mixed into VG/PG? I wouldn't do it.

If you do, make sure it's a flavouring in a PG base.
    The likeliness of it being "just right" is extremely slim. It'll probably be too powerful.

If I picked you up wrong and you were going to go the DIY route (which you should do if you don't like spending money but you've still got make sure the flavouring is in a PG or alcohol base): unless you add small amounts of PG/VG to the mix and keep testing it then they're likely to be pretty weak in comparison to FlavourArt or Perfumer's Apprentice flavourings... You think it's cheaper but you might end up using 3-6 times more flavouring than you would if you just bought the good stuff. Depends on the flavouring.
    Give it a try and get back to us!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

grindle wrote: »
    As in... vaping just food flavouring? Not even mixed into VG/PG? I wouldn't do it.

If you do, make sure it's a flavouring in a PG base.
    The likeliness of it being "just right" is extremely slim. It'll probably be too powerful.

If I picked you up wrong and you were going to go the DIY route (which you should do if you don't like spending money but you've still got make sure the flavouring is in a PG or alcohol base): unless you add small amounts of PG/VG to the mix and keep testing it then they're likely to be pretty weak in comparison to FlavourArt or Perfumer's Apprentice flavourings... You think it's cheaper but you might end up using 3-6 times more flavouring than you would if you just bought the good stuff. Depends on the flavouring.
    Give it a try and get back to us!

Well that was the intention. I was looking around my local Tesco and all the food flavourings, with the exception of almond for some reason (isopropyl base), were PG based. I'm totally green when it comes to vaping, to be honest as I'm only at it a number of weeks. But it was just something that popped into my head. I wouldn't even have known about mixing it into PG or VG had you not mentioned it. And as for DIY juices, it was only a thought. Didn't even know that that option was available. Good to know and will definitely check it out.:D

pajopearl wrote: »
    Well that was the intention. I was looking around my local Tesco and all the food flavourings, with the exception of almond for some reason (isopropyl base), were PG based. I'm totally green when it comes to vaping, to be honest as I'm only at it a number of weeks. But it was just something that popped into my head. I wouldn't even have known about mixing it into PG or VG had you not mentioned it. And as for DIY juices, it was only a thought. Didn't even know that that option was available. Good to know and will definitely check it out.:D

I was only at it a couple of months myself before I started racking up the DIY supplies, works out much cheaper than pre-made but it's an added hobby on top of a hobby.

Basically you just need PG and/or VG base/s, flavouring/s - and if you like, nicotine base.
    VG is a bit cheaper in a pharmacy, just make sure it's not the aniseed-flavoured type if you don't want everything to be all aniseed-y.

Read this thread!

You can get supplies from many places but I've bought from:

http://www.bargainvapour.com/DIY__amp;_Mixing/cat1274300_1332142.aspx

http://e-cigshop.eu/DIY-E-Liquids

http://www.leisureliquids.com/

http://alba-vapours.co.uk/mixing-diy-flavours

http://ego2.pl/pl/6-liquidy-plyny?n=20&id_category=6

Round-up of calculator apps and you might as well bookmark that whole forum and this one as well... and this one...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

I did an experiment a while back and the only ones worth considering are

1. Banana - 1/2 drop in a 10ml base (can be used with vanilla pretty well).
    2. Vanilla - 1/2 drop mixed with Coffee / Strawberry / Raspberry gives a ice-creamy flavor
    3. Lemon - 1 drop mixed with a really sweet lime/orange gives a decent kick.

DO NOT ATTEMPT IT WITH ANY COLORED FLAVORS !
    You think it's cheaper but you might end up using 3-6 times more flavouring than you would if you just bought the good stuff.

They are much stronger than regular ejuice concentrates, and it makes it difficult to mix unless you are doing 30ml+ bottles.

2. Vanilla - 1/2 drop mixed with Coffee / Strawberry / Raspberry gives a ice-creamy flavor

You think it's cheaper but you might end up using 3-6 times more flavouring than you would if you just bought the good stuff.

They are much stronger than regular ejuice concentrates, and it makes it difficult to mix unless you are doing 30ml+ bottles.

• Advertisement

was.deevey wrote: »

Which ones? LorAnn's and Bickfords are generally 2-3 times weaker than TPA or FA, and I had to use 30% for a mix with Goodall's Vanilla before. Delicious white chocolate, mmmm.

McCormick and Ferna are the ones I tried.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I'd be a little wary about using random food flavourings for vaping. Some of them may contain things like diacetyl (or other diketones) which are safe to swallow in foods but are dangerous to inhale (see popcorn lung).

Also, not as bad, but some may contain oils which can cause fluid build up in the lungs.

The ones sold by the vaping specific suppliers (or the reputable ones at least) should be free from this type of stuff and only contain ingredients that are generally thought to be safe for inhalation.

Of course there's not much science to say that for our uses the stuff above is definitely dangerous, or that the the ones sold for vaping are definitely safe, but personally I'd prefer to stick with the ones that people are generally using for vaping.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭banger01

Were these flavourings purchased at the local supermarket?
    was.deevey wrote: »

I'd be a little wary about using random food flavourings for vaping. Some of them may contain things like diacetyl (or other diketones) which are safe to swallow in foods but are dangerous to inhale (see popcorn lung).

Completely agree, and this is one of the reasons I do favour some sort of regulation when it comes to e-juice flavourings. There is rarely (if ever) a proper breakdown of the ingredients of the flavoring from manufacturers and you could in all possibility be vaping anything.

I have no doubt that even the worst ejuice is probably better than smoking fags mind you.

Bottom line if you can get proper juice flavourings, do it and dont be a cheapskate becuase it tastes ok, I experimented with a few off the shelf food flavourings for the sake of experimenting and found favorable results from the ones I listed above in TINY quantities as addition to other actual e-juice flavours.

Stay far far away from the likes of cinnamon, almond, peanut and any oil based flavourings, the banana juice I tried does in all probability contains trace amounts of diacetyl.
    Were these flavourings purchased at the local supermarket?

Yes they were

• Advertisement
Advertisement