Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Series 7, Episode 13 - "The Name of the Doctor" - No Spoilers until episode airs plz!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

In case anyone is considering, DO NOT click that link. It is an f'n MASSIVE spoiler for Saturday.

Must... resist... the... urge... to... click...

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Interrobang

Sleepy wrote: »
    I didn't see you get banned there but whenever you finish the books, take a look through the readers threads on the episodes. When people were accusing you of such, quite a few of us defended you based on your postings in this forum.

What Sleepy said. Yes, a lot of your posts were pretty spot on, but all anyone had to do was look at your posts here to see that you watch things carefully and that such observations weren't out of character. I was surprised at the number of times I had to edit your name out of quotes on the readers' thread when having a grumble about the sneaky readers. There mustn't be too many posters on both threads, or else people aren't paying attention. There are are two posters in particular on the non-readers' thread who are very clearly book or Wiki readers - I'm surprised you were banned, pixelburp, and they weren't.

In case anyone is considering, DO NOT click that link. It is an f'n MASSIVE spoiler for Saturday.

Cheers. I was THIS close to letting stupidity get the better of me... this was the slap in the face I needed to make me back away.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

The Doctor Who Facebook has just posted a photo of
    Clara
    that popped up on my timeline that shows a bit much for my liking. Is that the same photo posted above?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

The Doctor Who Facebook has just posted a photo of Clara that popped up on my timeline that shows a bit much for my liking. Is that the same photo posted above?

Yeah thats the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Yeah thats the one.

Pricks

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I didn't even notice what I was supposed to be looking at until YOU GUYS started talking about it!

:mad: :pac:

But it's grand, because I don't mind the offically released teasers.

:D

The Doctor Who Facebook has just posted a photo of
    Clara
    that popped up on my timeline that shows a bit much for my liking. Is that the same photo posted above?

Great. One more site to avoid. Might as well just avoid the whole internet until after Saturday's airing at this rate. Thanks for the heads up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

***SPOILERS***

Here's another possibly spoilery pic from their Facebook. This one has me very excited.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wild horses couldn't get me to click the URL; though I'm beginning to think the safest thing is to abandon ship & leave this thread until Saturday!

Or should I say Sunday, because I won't get to see the episode til then :( Stupid social life!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,923 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Chinpool wrote: »
    From the Dr Who twitter
    Steven Moffat has promised if fans help keep the finale’s secrets, we’ll release a special video featuring Matt & David right after the ep!
    Reminds me of Ricky Gervais's "charity game"..

mouHhUz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Thankfully I don't have a proper smartphone this month so the odds of me catching any spoilers are slim!

Now all I have to do is try and resist coming to this forum, which I do instinctively, even at work!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Must... resist... the... urge... to... click...

Go on. I w'ont tell anyone.

Just one little click...........

• Registered Users Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So has anyone ever figured out why people actually want to read/see spoilers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

I keep telling you lot - facebook and twitter is the devils/masters way of showing you spoilers against your wishes :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So has anyone ever figured out why people actually want to read/see spoilers?

Misplaced fan enthusiasm, mixed with the demand for instant-gratification that permeates a lot of media consumption these days. Maybe throw in a little inflated self-entitlement too; fan-communities are stronger than ever, and many can have an unhealthy possessiveness over their favourite TV show / film :(

Depressing really because the concept of a mystery & surprise is kinda dead now; even though Moffat & co. try to suppress spoilers, they're still happy to drop hints and teases to stoke peoples imaginations & lust for info on a constant basis (and I'm guilty of that myself, I admit). It's a long time since the era of Earthshock: where a genuine and completely secret surprise was revealed onto an unsuspecting public (the return of the Cybermen).

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

Its driving me insane. I really want to go into this episode with knowing as little as possible but I have a gigantic curiosity and can resist very little temptation...I'm going insane!

4 more days!!!

bradyle wrote: »
    Its driving me insane. I really want to go into this episode with knowing as little as possible but I have a gigantic curiosity and can resist very little temptation...I'm going insane!

4 more days!!!

To be honest 4 days is too long. Do what I did and have a peek, you know ye want to !!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

ebbsy wrote: »
    To be honest 4 days is too long. Do what I did and have a peek, you know ye want to !!!!!!!!!

You're evil!

No I'm staying strong. I've already seen one spolierish pic
    Of a place that said gallifrey
    and I'd rather of not so I'm staying strong.

Trying to do this for the 50th will actually kill me though

• Advertisement

I think the official spoilerish pics might be some form of evil psychological trick.

I've seen both the pics (I'm too "online" not to) and now I am DESPERATE not to have the episode spoiled before Sat.

His name is revealed to be Anne, and he would like you to respect his life's choices.

I think the official spoilerish pics might be some form of evil psychological trick.

I've seen both the pics (I'm too "online" not to) and now I am DESPERATE not to have the episode spoiled before Sat.

That's why I don't mind the official hints. They give you enough to go :eek:, get your mind racing with possibilities and then makes the thoughts of having the storyline spoiled awful.

But that's me.

If you're not into officially released hints, definitely don't follow the Doctor Who Facebook. And stay away from the official bbc site too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭T-Bird

His name is revealed to be Anne, and he would like you to respect his life's choices.

Made me laugh, feel a bit happier before going into blinking politics exam :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

SPOILER kinda, so I'll cover this up
    It's funny how lots of the things people were expecting for the 50th,
    Old footage, modern characters inserted into it etc. all turn up in this episode instead..

The Master wrote: »
    SPOILER kinda, so I'll cover this up
    It's funny how lots of the things people were expecting for the 50th,
    Old footage, modern characters inserted into it etc. all turn up in this episode instead..

:D
    Moffat said this week that people would think the 50th Anniversary had come early.

Does anybody think the Leaked DVD is actually a publicity stunt ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Does anybody think the Leaked DVD is actually a publicity stunt ?

Nope just an error made by BBC America shop they wouldn't have as large of sales like amazon would so the amount would be small and those that got released would reach most USA people by Wednesday/Thursday.

Someone posted pictures of the DVD set on a forum but no information. So there is a few people with a copy of it.

If a leak happens it should be out by Friday but Doctor Who wouldn't be high on the wish list "scene" Most Doctor Who uploads come from UK.

Its great in this age that fans of a show actually won't leak it or spoil it for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

This isn't the first time this happened a BBC series. think it happened the second series of Robin Hood.

I would be tempted to watch it, but will wait to see it on BBC HD instead

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Misplaced fan enthusiasm, mixed with the demand for instant-gratification that permeates a lot of media consumption these days. Maybe throw in a little inflated self-entitlement too; fan-communities are stronger than ever, and many can have an unhealthy possessiveness over their favourite TV show / film :(

Depressing really because the concept of a mystery & surprise is kinda dead now; even though Moffat & co. try to suppress spoilers, they're still happy to drop hints and teases to stoke peoples imaginations & lust for info on a constant basis (and I'm guilty of that myself, I admit). It's a long time since the era of Earthshock: where a genuine and completely secret surprise was revealed onto an unsuspecting public (the return of the Cybermen).

As a matter of interest, I think this is the rest of the media copping on to something that wrestling on TV has known for years- for the business, there's no such thing as a good suprise.

To explain, the idea works like this. Wrestling is a scummy business, and is never above lying. If a wrestling promotion promises a big suprise in a particular event, you can be sure it will be a let down. Why? Because they can ensure more viewers/ buyrates by openly saying what amazing thing will be happening than promoting a "suprise" or leaving it quiet. It comes down to money at the cost of viewer experience.

So, if a genuine suprise happens (say, Jenna Louise Coleman appearing a few episodes early) the scummy marketers have decided that the suprise is not "worth" being spoiled.

That said, this is the BBC, a public service not a business, so I'm not saying this is happening here.

Advertisement