Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Series 7, Episode 13 - "The Name of the Doctor" - No Spoilers until episode airs plz!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭jasonb

It's the exact same as soaps. There used to be such secrecy about their 'plotlines', now you can buy magazines that tell you what's going to happen next week. And it doesn't stop people from watching them...

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

We're getting the Smith/Tennant clip then, aren't we?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

One would assume so!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

I dunno I've threads where spoilers were discussed...I just had to run away from it quickly!

It's so close now, if someone spoiled it on me I'd shove the tardis up their arse.

Queue bigger on the inside joke!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

LOL - Tick, Tock, Tick, Tock, Tick, Tock, Tick, Tock. Stupid slow movement of time

Souffle!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭magic roundabou

Anyone thinking of Hush from Buffy ?

Awh I loved him calling River his wife!

• Advertisement

What? What? What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'm confused!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,127 ✭✭✭✭Penn

So his name is...

John Hurt?

wat

The Valeyard is supposed to be the Doctor when he goes bad right!

Is John Hurt the valeyard...but it says the Doctor

Maybe it was him and not 9 that stopped the Time War and that was such a horrible thing 11 wont consider him a doctor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Anyone thinking of Hush from Buffy ?

Just a little ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭smunchkins

So it wasn't just me who didn't "get" it then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Well, the next 6 months are gonna drive me nuts.

That was TEH AWESOMES

So teh awesomes.

I think I need to sit down and let the nerd in me die down before I can think about it as a piece of television!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

A lot going on...an awful lot.

Interesting, though I thought the whole solution to the Clara thing was a little obvious. The "new" Doctor..well it certainly was a surprise ending.

Lots of questions left unanswered. And did they Doctor walk out of the timestream carrying Clara like someone walking out of Tesco with a bag of shopping? Seems a bit..easy.

I guess it has certainly built suspense for the 50th anniversary special though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'm so confused.

Is John Hurt the next Doctor? The original Doctor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

holy mother of god that's a way to end something on a cliffhanger!

Like there are soooo many things i just loved about this

Like complete mind **** but wow wow and wow...Season 7 hasnt been my favourite so far but dear god i bow at Moffatt's feet for that

Thinks I loved:
    The entire River thing, finally get a decent goodbye for her...cried like a baby. Also loved how you finally get to see that the Doctor does truly love her
    The hint that river and clara are related. The whole link thing and how in Hide he says how being family lets links be stronger
    Clara interacting with the Doctors. The bit with the First was just class!
    The Great Intellegence was just great Richard E Grant is wow and his villain hench men thing were also brilliant
    And well the entire ending of it was just brilliant...I'm going to go insane but just wow is all I can say!!

bradyle wrote: »
    The Valeyard is supposed to be the Doctor when he goes bad right!

Is John Hurt the valeyard...but it says the Doctor

Maybe it was him and not 9 that stopped the Time War and that was such a horrible thing 11 wont consider him a doctor

That could be a good one alright.

Theory but spoilered just in case:
    Smith-Doctor knew who he was and knew he was a secret, so it has to be from the Smith-Doctor's past. And Clara was saying Smith-Doctor was the eleventh, so maybe that's the secret, he's not the eleventh. If the Time War was time locked, maybe there was another doctor during the Time War, and that's why Eccleston-Doctor was so angry about the Time War. He knew what the real Ninth Doctor (Hurt-Doctor) did to end the war but regenerated into Eccleston-Doctor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

It appears that Mr. Moffatt has finally got his imagination back.....

Whoopie! Roll on November 23rd....

Only thing I didn't really like was Clara telling the First Doctor to take the different Tardis. Kinda disregards the whole (I stole you / I stole you) conversation between Doctor and the Tardis in "The Doctor's Wife"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Yowza!

Well they explained Clara pretty clearly anyway. I think that was as good an explanation as they could have had tbh.

Does this mean that John Hurt is the Doctor who time-locks Galiffrey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭ebbsy

That was a bit of a cracker, but they are now going into unchartered waters.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

Penn wrote: »
    Only thing I didn't really like was Clara telling the First Doctor to take the different Tardis. Kinda disregards the whole (I stole you / I stole you) conversation between Doctor and the Tardis in "The Doctor's Wife"

Well that Tardis could have still been unlocked for the Doctor to take. (which the Tardis says it was left open on purpose)

Amazing episode. Well done Moffat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

I have a theory, and only that:

For the purpose of this theory, I'm going to assume that the Doctor's real name is "Bob".:P

We know there have been 11 doctors, or 11 incarnations of the Doctor; but what if there have been 12 incarnations of him? Bob is a timelord. Bob did something unspeakably evil, and maybe ended up regenerating in the process.

After his regeneration, he felt extreme guilt for what he did. Maybe he made a promise to himself that he'd never do the likes again and that he'd try and help people instead. He chose to name himself "The Doctor" as he wanted to help people and to distance himself from the bad person he used to be. So while it's his 2nd incarnation, it's the first incarnation of "The Doctor" (William Hartnell)

What made me think this:

- John Hurt said something along the lines of "I did it for a reason" and 11 said "I know". To me that means he's someone from 11's past, not future. 11 also said it was only him in his timestream, so Hurt must be a version of 11 from the past.

- Clara said Hurt wasn't the Doctor, because she saw the eleven faces of the Doctors. Yes, she saw the eleven DOCTORS, but not Bob.

- 11 said he took the name "The Doctor" and that it was a promise to himself. It kinda fits in with my theory...

I've only seen the episode now. I'll have to watch it again and see if my theory makes any sense...

Advertisement