Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Superthread 2013

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I guess there is always a first to be pissed at winning a bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,947 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Darron Gibson is still available....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

Will be interesting to see how many appearances he gets and who is most likely to be cast aside by Bayern.

I'm annoyed he didn't sign but I am sure glad that f*****g saga is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

Depressing about Thiago really, now it's finally done, even thought the writing was on the wall since Peps press conference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

according to Annie Eaves
    Bayern say the package is €25m, made up of €20m fee plus a friendly with Barca getting funds and Thiago waiving a payment.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

3v6ebw_zps54c1c6ec.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

release clause was a little over €18mil ??

they must have just went straight in with a no messing about bid, thrown in a friendly and walked out.

thats how to do it.

edit; if it's true Thiago waived his fee then forget about it he was only going to one team.

The bitterness begins :pac:
    Pep Guardiola gets a commission because Thiago's agent is Guardiola's brother #mafia

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ManOnFire

Leiva wrote: »
    release clause was a little over €18mil ??

they must have just went straight in with a no messing about bid, thrown in a friendly and walked out.

thats how to do it.

went in higher than the release clause to avoid a big tax payment, that would have made the payout from them larger

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

One of the scorers against City today.

Kermit Erasmus. Best name ever.

Its rumored that we offered an increase in his wages but he's taking a pay cut to go Bayern. If that truly is the case looks like we didn't stand a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

The friendly was set up months ago. That has nothing to do with the transfer.

TBH I would have liked to see him play for you more - he wont be playing as much in Munich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Bayern Munich @ FCBayern 3m View translation

Bayern confirmed it.

93101-haha.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Sky Sports confirm deal is done. Well that is the end of that.

Right lads whose next on the list to put on the pedastal ?

Will we take two weeks of sweating over Strootman? :)

In all seriousness...Strootman being stalling over Roma deal. Might have been waiting for this to be resolved. And might very much want to go to Unitesld.

If I was Moyes I'd be on the phone now asking how much for Kroos ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

TheDoc wrote: »
    Sky Sports confirm deal is done. Well that is the end of that.

Right lads whose next on the list to put on the pedastal ?

Will we take two weeks of sweating over Strootman? :)
    I'm hoping it just gets announced out of the blue whoever it is. The way it should be.
    Too many spoofers around to take anything you hear seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'm hoping it just gets announced out of the blue whoever it is. The way it should be.
    Too many spoofers around to take anything you hear seriously.

Sky News don't announce done deals until they are legit AFAIK and confirmed with the clubs.

Official word from Bayern expected in the next 30 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Fellaini I reckon, I wouldnt mind seeing him and Strootman. One can dream :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Sky News don't announce done deals until they are legit AFAIK and confirmed with the clubs.

Bayern have confirmed it almost an hour ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,712 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I wonder who's next that we'll miss out on

I meant the next player we actually do sign. I'd prefer if it just happened without the circus that goes with players we are linked with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Do people think we are in for Strootman? I got the impression he was on his way to Roma for 14m?

I'd love to know how close we actually got to signing players such as Thiago, Sneijder, Özil, Ronaldinho, Moura...

I've got a feeling that a lot of these sagas just snowballed from very little. Maybe an enquiry about a player or something.
    I've got a real chip on my shoulder, as you can probably tell, about journalists and people who blindly swallow all their regurgitated crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

That's the end of the Thiago saga then, surprise surprise it ends in failure to land the player.

Hopefully we can move on from it quickly and strengthen the area, it is not going to fix itself. Best of luck to him in Munich, not sure how he thinks he will play more there then in Manchester but good luck to him. Hopefully it means a couple of the Bayern players feel like making a switch and we go balls in trying to sign one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Bad feeling we won't make any significant signing before the start of the season. Despite winning the league we need to improve badly in midfield.

Btw anyone know why Macheda didn't travel with the squad? Saw pics of him training last week. And where is Bebe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

I'd love to know how close we actually got to signing players such as Thiago, Sneijder, Özil, Ronaldinho, Moura...

Ozil - Never had a chance gone to madrid the second the world cup ended
    Sneijder - afaik offer accepted but Wage Demands were huge. Wages were an issue when he was at inter too which result in him going to Gala
    Ronaldinho - we were close but i no longer remember the details
    Moura - we were interested but PSG outbid us and we we unwilling to match

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Really disappointing news about this lad, I think he would have been just about perfect for us... Best of luck to the lad at Bayern but I do hope he regrets this decision ..Anyways onward and up, can we all just stop talking about him now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Pity about Thiago but it was always going to end this way once Pep declared an interest.

Having listened to some of his interviews he seems to be a fantastic professional whose attitude would be an asset to any side, never mind his outstanding ability.

He will be a great signing for Bayern I'm sure.

ESPN were discussing a rumour of Fabregas going to United. Can't see that myself, but he would be a terrific catch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭Arciphel

If you are interested in the Ronaldinho one it's an interesting case study. In the BBC documentary (you can watch it here, it's really good) that they made chronicling Juan Laporta's first year as president of Barcelona, the transfer was mentioned but everyone at the Camp Nou thought he would sign for Man United. They had bid 17M for him and his agent was holding out for 17.5M, but all the Barcelona board (and Peter Kenyon) thought it was a foregone conclusion & that he would sign. Then one night before the window closed, he rocks up at the Nou Camp with his agent, unannounced, they go to a meeting room and thrash out the deal, and the rest is history.

There's a good article here on the biggest Utd transfer misses from the recent past - http://www.thehardtackle.com/2012/manchester-united-transfer-misses-ronaldinho-robben-and-others/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Utd move on. I'm excited to see who comes in now. He may be better than Thiago.

NTMK wrote: »
    Ozil - Never had a chance gone to madrid the second the world cup ended
    Sneijder - afaik offer accepted but Wage Demands were huge. Wages were an issue when he was at inter too which result in him going to Gala
    Ronaldinho - we were close but i no longer remember the details
    I'm aware of what we have been told, I'd love to know the facts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

So now that its over what more do people think we could have done to sign Thiago?

Its impossible to say what we could have done more to sign him without any clue as to what we actually did do to sign him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

NTMK wrote: »

I believe we were more than just interested in him. A lot of Utd fans just remember Bob Cass as a the journo Fergie had a go at about some Sneijder article but he was actually pretty close with him and according to him we had verbal agreement on a deal with both the player and club, Leonardo flew in at the last second and blew us out of the water in terms of the package offered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

So now that its over what more do people think we could have done to sign Thiago?

Hard to say without actually knowing what was done to sign him!
    Haven't rumours about Thiago been flying around Manchester longer than David Moyes has?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

I'm aware of what we have been told, I'd love to know the facts.

they're pretty much the facts the papers usually string this ****e out into this hes very close to signing and running it out into weeks (i.e Ozil who was never going to sign for us)

Theres usually no smoke without fire in transfers but twitter and the papers usually stretch it for views/sales

Sent in Jack Bauer...

Or any of the Boards.ie soccer forum regs who evidently know all there is to know about what goes on behind the scenes during transfer negotiations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

This will probably sound bitter but I honestly don't think that thiago was the answer to our midfield problem. I think we need two midfielders. Someone to act as backup for carrick, I'd be happy with McCarthy for this role. Then in my opinion we need a box to box type midfielder who can play with carrick. Maybe a bit more creative but has to be able to do more than retain possession.

I got a bit caught up with the thiago love but I honestly think there are better options. Whether we can get them or not is another matter. Vidal is the obvious one and if there was a hint of him being available I'd hope we'd go after him hard.

It's going to be a challenge for pep to keep all his centre mids happy. German league only has 18 teams so that's already 4 less games to share around. ;)

Why do I see Vidals name pop up now and then, he is not at Juve that long and they are a team going in the right direction, why would he want to leave?

Also, if he was on the radar seriously would we not have tried to sign him for, what was it? about 8 million Juve paid at the time! Some bargain right there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

I'd really like united to keep everything as under wraps as possible. Once the issue is public it's a case of go hard or go home if you don't want to lose face.

This is important as ruthlessness in transfers should help attract others.

:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

when you see that Real paid out almost £70million for two midfielders in the past 2 weeks, it tells you a few things.

Thiago was unreal value at £20million.
    to actually get the top quality players we need, we need to spend big.
    these clubs are going out signing the best players in the world, we are after mediocre players who no other top clubs want.

the gap between us and the top level of Europe is growing, growing and growing. Thiago signing for Bayern is a massive blow for us, i am not sure a better alternative exists.
    but hey, some of ye think its all going to be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

kryogen wrote: »
    Why do I see Vidals name pop up now and then, he is not at Juve that long and they are a team going in the right direction, why would he want to leave?

Also, if he was on the radar seriously would we not have tried to sign him for, what was it? about 8 million Juve paid at the time! Some bargain right there

Think there was a rumour of Real making a big bid for him. If its true then I'd like to think we'd try get involved.

Anyone think that pep will have a harder time in bayern. German league has more depth and id say teams will be pretty pragmatic against them. If dortmund strengthen id hope klopp wreaks havoc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Anyone think that pep will have a harder time in bayern. German league has more depth and id say teams will be pretty pragmatic against them. If dortmund strengthen id hope klopp wreaks havoc.

I can't see anything but a Bayern walk in the park. They'll win the league by April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

when you see that Real paid out almost £70million for two midfielders in the past 2 weeks, it tells you a few things.

these clubs are going out signing the best players in the world, we are after mediocre players who no other top clubs want.

the gap between us and the top level of Europe is growing, growing and growing. Thiago signing for Bayern is a massive blow for us, i am not sure a better alternative

Its difficult to know exactly what happened and how it happened, but based on the known facts (Thiago signed for Bayern) one would have to suggest that the only way United would have signed in, if they were even actually seriously in for him, would be with a gun to his head.

Yourself and others on this forum have been round long enough, I suggest, to know better than believe everything you read and see in the papers.

I don't disagree that United need to sign a central midfielder but one will never know would this guy have been a Djemba Djemba or a Ronaldo in the PL.

the gap between us and the top level of Europe is growing, growing and growing. Thiago signing for Bayern is a massive blow for us, i am not sure a better alternative

Ya, we do. Doom merchants like yourself have been peddling muck for years now and we are still on of the most consistent cl clubs over this period. Granted the season before last was a blow out but with similar mid weve done alright. This year a bad ref sent us out to RM ffs. We'd like to get the cm sorted but what teams would you say are better than united right now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Really gutted about Thiago, would have been great seeing him develop at United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Watch Moyes will go after Suarez as his big surprise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Marca are reporting we have signed Garay in the last half an hour.

if thats true, ill go f*cking mental.

ElChe32 wrote: »
    I can't see anything but a Bayern walk in the park. They'll win the league by April.

He does have more depth at his disposal but I cant his games being like barca vs chelsea/inter a lot of the time.

Yup, it tells you that you can just lash multiple millions at players and then dump them for change a few years later when they don't work out when you don't have to worry about silly little things like performing like a profitable (or even breakeven) business and repaying debts while simultaneously killing your league due to your monopoly of tv rights etc.
    we are after mediocre players who no other top clubs want.

That's just silly.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement