Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Superthread 2013

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Fanny Biscuit

Marca are reporting we have signed Garay in the last half an hour.

if thats true, ill go f*cking mental.

We already enough defenders and i don't rate Garay one bit. I wonder does that mean we will see Jones move to Midfield? One minute your looking forward to the new season the next your not. Thiago will prove to be great value,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

That's just silly.

dont/didnt see many clubs lining up for the likes of Baines, Young, Valencia, Garay etc etc, do you?

we just need slight tweaking of our team every year to progress - 1 major signing like RVP every season would be enough to see us consolidate and progress. but instead we waste money on players who are not needed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Marca are reporting we have signed Garay in the last half an hour.

if thats true, ill go f*cking mental.

I really wish I could understand why you're so upset about the transfer. I get why you think we wouldn't need him, but your anger at it seems a different level.

Do you think maybe there's something we don't know? Or that this is a transfer for the future, given Rio and Vidic are likely on their way out next season and we'd need a 4th defender when they leave?

I really wish I could understand why you're so upset about the transfer. I get why you think we wouldn't need him, but your anger at it seems a different level.

Do you think maybe there's something we don't know? Or that this is a transfer for the future, given Rio and Vidic are likely on their way out next season and we'd need a 4th defender when they leave?

number 1 - he is an average-good defender. since my mate told me about the deal many months ago, ive been following him regulary. he has alot of improving to do.

number 2 - we already have 5 center halves and spent £30million on Smalling and Jones already in the last 3 years.

number 3 - he would cost £18million, no matter what ye say it takes away from out ability to invest in midfield.

number 4 - he is over priced and was sold a few years ago for half what we would pay for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Some people need to get a grip of themselves :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

His anger is that we sign a player in a position we don't need and fail to sign one in a position that we do.

Simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Sure Vidic is already injured. We say we dont need more defenders but every bloody year Carrick has to play centre half.
    Rio and Vidic are reaching the end faster than we would like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

lordgoat wrote: »
    His anger is that we sign a player in a position we don't need and fail to sign one in a position that we do.

Simple.
    Perhaps he needs to chill out.

There's 6 odd weeks left in the window.

And more importantly he needs to stop believing everything he reads in the papers/twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

No matter what we offered him it was over once guardiola showed interest. With his brother in thiagos ear it was inevitable he d end up at bayern
    Senseless move if he wants first team action. Barca would really give you a pain in the arse with their holier than thou attitude. They re complete gangsters when it comes to transfers amd unsettling rival players

GSPfan wrote: »
    Sure Vidic is already injured. We say we dont need more defenders but every bloody year Carrick has to play centre half.
    Rio and Vidic are reaching the end faster than we would like.

and then the likes of Phil jones,Rooney, Giggs, Park, rafael, etc etc need to play in midfield.

it works both ways!

right now, we have the best defensive options in europe...lets not forget that also we are after and bidding strongly for Baines.

one saving grace is that apparently he can play across the defence.
    kippy wrote: »
    Perhaps he needs to chill out.

There's 6 odd weeks left in the window.

And more importantly he needs to stop believing everything he reads in the papers/twitter.

can you tell me what am i readin in the papers that isnt true? ive enough contacts outside of the sun and the star to know what is going on.

we already are gone on tour with no new signings on board. players need time to bed in, BUT apart from RVP our work is normally done by now.

• Advertisement

number 1 - he is an average-good defender. since my mate told me about the deal many months ago, ive been following him regulary. he has alot of improving to do.

number 2 - we already have 5 center halves and spent £30million on Smalling and Jones already in the last 3 years.

number 3 - he would cost £18million, no matter what ye say it takes away from out ability to invest in midfield.

number 4 - he is over priced and was sold a few years ago for half what we would pay for him.

Fair enough on Number 1.

Number 2... as I said, we'll have 5 this season (provided, again, that there's not something we don't know about). Next season, we'll have four if Rio retires. Three if Vidic heads on. At that stage, we're going to need a forth, even if it's a 4th string defender. Would you rather we wait till next season and then start getting angry that United won't sign a decent center back?

Number 3...that's what United will pay for any player, minimum, nowadays. Don't see much to do there. Again, back to 2, if we need a forth defender, that's what we're going to need to spend. And I don't know if it takes away from our ability to invest in CM, because I, like you I'm guessing, do not know what budget United and Moyes have. We simply do not know if he has 30m or 100m to spend, especially if the likes of Rooney, Nani et al. are on their way out.

Number 4 goes back to number 1. Fair enough if thats your opinion he's overpriced.

I guess for me, I trust the club. If we're after Garay, it's because the club feel we need him for reasons that might not be clear to us now.

I just wish people wouldn't get so furious midway through July. Maybe wait and see what's happening all over before you get so angry and worked up. If, come September 1st, all we got was Garay and Baines, I'll be right there beside you in the riots. But until then, maybe trust in the club a bit more? Because, quite simply, we don't know who the CM targets are, what stages they are at, or whats happening here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

dont/didnt see many clubs lining up for the likes of Baines, Young, Valencia, Garay etc etc, do you?

we just need slight tweaking of our team every year to progress - 1 major signing like RVP every season would be enough to see us consolidate and progress. but instead we waste money on players who are not needed.

Well for starters you have absolutely zero idea as to who is actually interested in who bar the gossip you read in the papers and on twitter. Those same papers and people on twitter have had us linked to players such as Sneidjer, Ozil, Hazard, Lucas and Thiago in recent years so your statement that we are only after players no one else wants is more than just a little bit stupid. That we don't get them is a different matter altogether.

The fact that you seem to think the club can just go out and pick up a huge signing like RVP every year just shows that you don't live in the real world.

I guess for me, I trust the club. If we're after Garay, it's because the club feel we need him for reasons that might not be clear to us now.

im sorry to keep repeating myself, but this is the same club who signed Bebe, Young and Jones for almost €50million. we are by all accounts willing to spend £15million on Baines.

about your point about waiting, yes of course....but 5 years of being let down provokes severe doubt. for what its worth, i fully expect us to sign a midfielder this year, im just not sure it will fulfill our needs as the money required to buy 2 top class midfielders will have been spent.

The fact that you seem to think the club can just go out and pick up a huge signing like RVP every year just shows that you don't live in the real world.

why not? we are Manchester United for f*ck sake, not f*cking Barnet. Man City have signed players like Silva, Ya Ya, Aguero - they are the type of players thats out there who we should be signing not them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,712 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Garay is certainly not better than any CB we have at the club

Utd transfer policy is like a brokien record, either a defender or striker

can you tell me what am i readin in the papers that isnt true? ive enough contacts outside of the sun and the star to know what is going on.

we already are gone on tour with no new signings on board. players need time to bed in, BUT apart from RVP our work is normally done by now.

Great man with the contacts.

At least 90-95 percent of what you read in the papers isn't true.

What exactly do/did you expect United to do to sign Thiago?
    (You have absolutely NO idea what, if any, contact went on behind closed doors between Thiagos reps and Bayern/pep MONTHS ago never mind the ins and outs of any such deal)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Good words from Moyes

He must be really fed up of talking about Wayne.

I don't like Woodward saying we wouldn't be afraid of paying £70 million for a player. It means clubs will push the cost of transfers way up.

I couldn't care less at this stage how much money it is as long as they buy someone. No pleasing some people is there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I have no problem if the club can spend £70 million on a player like Ronaldo. He's worth it.

I just think it's a dangerous game telling every club that we have the money so do your best. We could end up paying well above the odds for players as clubs hold out for a massive sum of money.

If we don't sort out the midfield, fair enough, rant away but at least wait until we see how we are going to be lining out next season.

If we were to sign Baines and Garay and nobody else, obviously not good but if we were to sign both and 2 good centre mids it's a different story.

There appear to be a lot people around getting hit with the heatstroke badly.
    Some appear to believe it is possible to buy "top class" midfielders on a whim and all United have to do is click their fingers.
    Instead United and their staff are on a crusade to annoy numerous posters on this thread.

• Advertisement

I have no problem if the club can spend £70 million on a player like Ronaldo. He's worth it.

I just think it's a dangerous game telling every club that we have the money so do your best. We could end up paying well above the odds for players as clubs hold out for a massive sum of money.

As opposed to saying, "as a club, we've very little money and wont be spending much of it"
    Which would surely send at least 30 regulars on this thread into spasms of massive anger.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I wonder will we be in for a Bayern MF'er now. They are bloody overloaded.

There appear to be a lot people around getting hit with the heatstroke badly.
    Some appear to believe it is possible to buy "top class" midfielders on a whim and all United have to do is click their fingers.
    Instead United and their staff are on a crusade to annoy numerous posters on this thread.

4 years is not a "whim".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

With Thiago gone to Bayern, if Fellaini goes to Arsenal would it be fair to say that there's no value in the market?

Because with those two gone, any other player in that league or above would probably cost crazy money now. Those two have cheap buy out clauses which is probably why we were interested. I really can't see us going out and spending crazy money on a player.

As opposed to saying, "as a club, we've very little money and wont be spending much of it"
    Which would surely send at least 30 regulars on this thread into spasms of massive anger.

Just say nothing at all or be on the fence. "We have money to spend but won't be paying over the odds for a player not worth the price tag."

I wonder will we be in for a Bayern MF'er now. They are bloody overloaded.

Don't worry, the papers will be putting 2 and 2 together and you'll probably see the stories tomorrow link many BM fielders with many clubs........

• Advertisement

Just say nothing at all or be on the fence. "We have money to spend but won't be paying over the odds for a player not worth the price tag."

That appeases neither the fans nor the media.

At least 90-95 percent of what you read in the papers isn't true.

is it?

depends on who you read or what you read. personally i believe that 90-95% of whats been reported and debated on here, IS true.

United were in for thiago - fact.
    United were in for Strootman, but Moyes has concerns about him - fact
    United are in for Baines - fact.
    United are in for Garay - fact.
    United are trying to get Ronaldo back - fact.

i dont see much else being debated here, so i fail to see how you can say that 90% of what we read is false.

obviously things like Ashley Cole and Cavani are total bullshi*, but those came from rags. these things dont deserve out debate and in all fairness, dont get debated here.

That appeases neither the fans nor the media.

So? Why pander to the media? There's always going to be fans coming to the seats in Old Trafford so I don't think the fans will matter too much to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Fanny Biscuit

Before all the Thiago talk Denis Irwin was confident we would sign Fabregas this summer. I'm sure he will change his tune now they have sold Thigao. There is still plenty of midfield option out there but its going to cost big money to get any of them.

is it?

depends on who you read or what you read. personally i believe that 90-95% of whats been reported and debated on here, IS true.

i dont see much else being debated here, so i fail to see how you can say that 90% of what we read is false.

obviously things like Ashley Cole and Cavani are total bullshi*, but those came from rags. these things dont deserve out debate and in all fairness, dont get debated here.
    Your criteria for facts must be a lot different than mine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Genuine Question: what constitutes "being-in" for a player?

Your criteria for facts must be a lot different than mine.

have you evidence to prove otherwise and better contacts than reputed journalists/poster have?

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Genuine Question: what constitutes "being-in" for a player?
    Miguel Delaney, Graham Hunter or a friend/uncle saying so apparently.

have you evidence to prove otherwise and better contacts than reputed journalists/poster have?
    Nope. I'm not claiming it as fact that we are not in for them.

Headshot wrote: »
    Garay is certainly not better than any CB we have at the club

Utd transfer policy is like a brokien record, either a defender or striker

I don't know, he's a pretty tidy player. Certainly not better than Rio or Vida but Rio is 34 and Vida 32 this year (and has had a pretty horrendous time with injuries recently). Who's to say how much longer either or both will be at the club.

That leaves us with 3 currently established CB's, Smalling has had a tough time with injuries, we've no idea how much they've halted his progress. Jones (rightly or wrongly) has barely had a run in the center of defense and we all know Evans weaknesses. The club has to plan for the future also and if they actually do fancy Garay why would it be so wrong bringing him now to bed him in before Rio and Vida move on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

it seems obvious to me that one of 2 things happened:

1. Thiago wanted to go at one point and the deal wasn't closed while Bayern weren't in for him, or;

2. Thiago was never going to Utd, and Pep had him tapped up from ages ago.

as for which it is, I doubt you'll ever really know.

im sorry to keep repeating myself, but this is the same club who signed Bebe, Young and Jones for almost €50million. we are by all accounts willing to spend £15million on Baines.

Bebe was an abnormality, but I don't get what your problem with Jones and Young, and 15m for Baines, are. That's how much young/decent English players cost, especially to clubs like United. We have to buy English players, we don't have a choice there. And they were, at the time, great potential talents, so of course were going to demand higher fees. How much do you think Young and Jones should have gone for? And keep it relative to similiar talents going to similiar size clubs.
    about your point about waiting, yes of course....but 5 years of being let down provokes severe doubt. for what its worth, i fully expect us to sign a midfielder this year, im just not sure it will fulfill our needs as the money required to buy 2 top class midfielders will have been spent.

So you know what our budget is? You know how much we have to spend? Cause I don't see how anyone could have that private information. We don't know the starting budget for the summer, how much we'll make from sales, so this talk of spending all our budget is crazy. We, quite simply, do not know what money we have to spend.
    why not? we are Manchester United for f*ck sake, not f*cking Barnet. Man City have signed players like Silva, Ya Ya, Aguero - they are the type of players thats out there who we should be signing not them.

Did we get taken over by oil-rich tycoons? Did we win the Champions League and get a huge windfall that let's us compete with the cash flows of the likes of City? You're right, in a perfect world, we'd be in for the top of the top players, but we don't have those wage budgets or transfer budgets, so you need to get over that. In the majority of cases, we won't be able to compete with the likes of City, Chelsea, Barca, Real or PSG. To think we can is delusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

is it?

That crap with fact is horrifically annoying.

And all it took was north of a billion quid of outside investment. The likes of City, Chelsea, Barca, Real and PSG do not operate in the same reality as us. If Utd attempted to copy their wage structure and transfer policy the club would go bankrupt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Is united much of am allure for top players that have never played in england? With the exception of a slight few veron barthez can united compete with the big mainland europe teams? The likes of rvp and berba all played in england before joinin so i'm sure they could understand and appreciate how big united are domestically but in countries such as germany spain italy are we seen as such a major force? Ronaldinho ozil benzema Snjieder lucas hazard were all top talents we were in for , allegedly, who decided on other clubs. . . Just the whole thiago thing has annoyed me as i just dont think he grasps how big it is to play for us. . .

• Advertisement

I don't know, he's a pretty tidy player. Certainly not better than Rio or Vida but Rio is 34 and Vida 32 this year (and has had a pretty horrendous time with injuries recently). Who's to say how much longer either or both will be at the club.

That leaves us with 3 currently established CB's, Smalling has had a tough time with injuries, we've no idea how much they've halted his progress. Jones (rightly or wrongly) has barely had a run in the center of defense and we all know Evans weaknesses. The club has to plan for the future also and if they actually do fancy Garay why would it be so wrong bringing him now to bed him in now before Rio and Vida move on?

no doubt what your saying is true, but the midfield problem is bigger and them some.

history and logic will show that if we sign other defenders, then the money simply wont be there to sign the quality we need in midfield. i cant see why people keep expecting us to spend spend spend.

lets not forget that Zaha has already signed, Baines would cost £15million and if we were to sign garay it would take potential spending to around £50million.

can you honestly see us having money to bring in the world class CM we need? i doubt it somehow.

no doubt what your saying is true, but the midfield problem is bigger and them some.

history and logic will show that if we sign other defenders, then the money simply wont be there to sign the quality we need in midfield. i cant see why people keep expecting us to spend spend spend.

lets not forget that Zaha has already signed, Baines would cost £15million and if we were to sign garay it would take potential spending to around £50million.

can you honestly see us having money to bring in the world class CM we need? i doubt it somehow.

Historically new managers are given a warchest. There'll be signings id wager one cm thats first xi and one on the fringes but defo ready to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Lads how strong is the Evra to Real rumour?

My question is in relation to Suarez cause if either goes first the the second surely aint following.

Leiva wrote: »

My question is in relation to Suarez cause if either goes first the the second surely aint following.

First I heard of it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Headshot wrote: »
    Thiago worse utd transfer saga ever

Why cant it ever be simple with utd

Not as bad as the MkH saga with Liveroool :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

The word over the last few days is that he's staying even if Baines is signed.

They're not bidding any higher for Baines so that one looks to be dead.

Well I don't know what the available budget is so I couldn't tell you but I don't think the reported price will break the bank somehow. That's assuming that there is even a world class cm out there that is a/available and b/ interested in coming to Utd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

not very tbh i cant see him going to anywhere but Monaco if he does leave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Imo nata chance. However I dont have various contacts within the game or anything. :pac:

• Advertisement

Historically new managers are given a warchest. There'll be signings id wager one cm thats first xi and one on the fringes but defo ready to start.

we will sign a CM, i guarantee you that. the problem is, will it be enough?

and will it come at a cost of having to sell somebody? with respect man, United dont spend spend spend as people expect or want.

anyway, i just hope this Garay nonsense falls through. im sick of talking about him...if he signs, he signs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement