Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Superthread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Fabregas rumours starting to surface now.

It's going to be bumpy ride

Can't see there being any legs in it - though I was told Fabregas was the priority target at the start of the summer. Figure, myself, that we moved for Thiago when it became apparent Fabregas was a no go. With Thiago now gone, I can't see Barcelona selling Fabregas as well. I felt one of them would leave this summer, not both.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Now that Thiago is done the papers will have to find a new primary target to connect us with this week. I wonder who it will be?

Edit: Just read the Cesc stuff, Oh dear. Here we go again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Interesting quote from Moyes

"Overall, my thought on Wayne is, if for any reasons we had an injury to Robin van Persie, we'll need him,"

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/8824926/David-Moyes-Wayne-Rooney-needed-at-Man-Utd-as-cover-for-Robin-van-Persie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

:confused::confused::confused:

our problem is not defending through the middle, its ball retention and creativity.

Thiago was ideal for us.

Our problem was both, defending and creativity from the middle. Our midfield was too easy to bypass through the middle. IMO Vidal is the perfect fir for us and shame that we didn't sign him when he was available for just 10 Million.

Jax Teller wrote: »
    Interesting quote from Moyes

"Overall, my thought on Wayne is, if for any reasons we had an injury to Robin van Persie, we'll need him,"

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/8824926/David-Moyes-Wayne-Rooney-needed-at-Man-Utd-as-cover-for-Robin-van-Persie

I'm fabbergasted by that quote - it really is a shocker.

"'Ere, Wayne, go get f'd".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Hope Scholes is keeping himself in shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

What is Moyes at. Cover for Van Persie. Rooney will not like that.Is he trying to unsettle Rooney

GSPfan wrote: »
    Hope Scholes is keeping himself in shape.

Phil Neville: "Just felt I still had more to give, and I look forward to lining up with Fletcher and Scholes in midfield vs City on Sunday...."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Scholes will hardly stay on he barely kicked a ball in the 2nd half of the season.

wadacrack wrote: »
    What is Moyes at. Cover for Van Persie. Rooney will not like that.Is he trying to unsettle Rooney

Eh, Yeah.

United want it to seem like Rooney is forcing a transfer.

Rooney wants it to look like United are forcing a transfer.

Both sides playing for leverage at the moment. Sure you can add Moyes comments to Woodward saying there would be no problem in letting Rooney run his contract down.

Have said for ages now United would be happy to see Rooney sold this summer, on their terms (so not to an English team)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

the full Sky Sports article.
    David Moyes claims Wayne Rooney is still needed at Manchester United - as cover for star striker Robin van Persie.

Rooney has been the focus of intense speculation regarding his United future ever since former boss Sir Alex Ferguson revealed the England international had handed in a transfer request in May.

But the new man at Old Trafford insists the 27-year-old forward's flexibility remains an important asset for the club and so he is reluctant to let him leave.

"Overall, my thought on Wayne is, if for any reasons we had an injury to Robin van Persie, we'll need him," said Moyes.

He added: "Wayne can play up on his own, he can play dropped in. It's going to be a time to see how I work with Wayne.

"Manchester United isn't about Wayne Rooney. Manchester United is about the team - the club.

"I won't allow Wayne Rooney to become more important than the football club and the football team, because that's the heart of it."

Rooney still has two years left on his deal at United and, as a result, Moyes does not feel under too much pressure to renew the contract or risk a cut-price sale.

"Maybe in a year's time we might have to look at something else," he added.

"The first year I have to get a chance to see the players and how best to use them."

now, there may well be things taken out of context, but they are still some weird soundbites to hand over to the media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

:confused::confused::confused:

our problem is not defending through the middle, its ball retention and creativity.

Thiago was ideal for us.

Don't be so blunt. We needed a player who could soak up the pressure and play a pass but also win the ball back and have high defensive traits. A midfield of Thiago and Carrick is easily overrun IMO at the top level.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I read Moyes' comment yesterday and decided to lust leave it as I was surely taking it out of context. Perhaps he was signalling the fact that RVP would play higher up the field and that Rooney would play in various other positions when needed.

Reading it again this morning, it's a fairly damning comment. I need to see the full interview though.

Pretty sure we'll be stating the season with Shinji behind RVP.

Eh, Yeah.

United want it to seem like Rooney is forcing a transfer.

Rooney wants it to look like United are forcing a transfer.

Both sides playing for leverage at the moment. Sure you can add Moyes comments to Woodward saying there would be no problem in letting Rooney run his contract down.

Have said for ages now United would be happy to see Rooney sold this summer, on their terms (so not to an English team)
    Yeah talks havent went well it looks like. With Rooney leaving Asia with a hamstring.Rooney is not bigger than the club also indicates that talks between Moyes and Rooney havent went well.Who in europe could Rooney join.PSG seemed most likely but they are signing Cavani.Monaco maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Fergie had clearly run out of patience with Rooney last season and the Rooney "wheels" may have been set in motion before Moyes arrived and had any say in the matter.

Don't be so blunt. We needed a player who could soak up the pressure and play a pass but also win the ball back and have high defensive traits. A midfield of Thiago and Carrick is easily overrun IMO at the top level.

We need both. That is the reality of the situation.

We need a player like Thiago to help with creativity and we need a player like Hargreaves/Fletcer were to add bite to the midfield and stop players like Dembele and Toure walking right through us. I don't see any one player solving both those issues - so we needed (and still need) two signings.

Thiago and Strootman would have been two good signings imo - with Strootman being more of a rotation option as opposed to first choice Thiago.

Both those players are gone, so not sure what direction I would go now.

We need both. That is the reality of the situation.

We need a player like Thiago to help with creativity and we need a player like Hargreaves/Fletcer were to add bite to the midfield and stop players like Dembele and Toure walking right through us. I don't see any one player solving both those issues - so we needed (and still need) two signings.

Thiago and Strootman would have been two good signings imo - with Strootman being more of a rotation option as opposed to first choice Thiago.

Both those players are gone, so not sure what direction I would go now.

Fellaini seems the obvious now.

Rooney to Barca for Cesc. There, I said it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

We will end up getting someone like Mohamed Diame from West Ham.

• Advertisement

GSPfan wrote: »
    Rooney to Barca for Cesc. There, I said it.

I would take that in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

adox wrote: »

I honestly think if we were going for Fellaini it would A) be done by now B) we would have heard something about it, there doesn't seem to be anything solid at all on it.

wadacrack wrote: »
    Yeah talks havent went well it looks like. With Rooney leaving Asia with a hamstring.Rooney is not bigger than the club also indicates that talks between Moyes and Rooney havent went well.Who in europe could Rooney join.PSG seemed most likely but they are signing Cavani.Monaco maybe?
    PSG were interested, and with talk Zlatan could be on his way (Ancelotti was a big reason for him to be there) then Rooney could be back on their radar. Monaco made a presentation of their plans to Rooney (along with a crap load of other top players) before the summer but haven't heard anything being pushed on that. Rooney's camp want a Barca or Real move but neither appear to be interested.

It looks like United will have to sell him to an English side, Chelsea most likely, if they really want shot of him - and I don't think they want shot of him badly enough to sell him to Chelsea. Hope not, at least.

adox wrote: »

And what's the general opinion on Fellaini here? I mean it was sort of 50-50 before all the Thiago news and during that period none took his name as our Midfield signing. Now that Thiago sage is over, is Fellaini good enough signing to improve our midfield?

IMO we should sign him (and I said it before Thiago saga). He offers lot to our midfield. Very good defensively and he can score goals too. Set piece threat and also offers physical presence in the midfield. I'm yet to see him losing physical battle and he gave as good as it gets against Toure.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    And what's the general opinion on Fellaini here? I mean it was sort of 50-50 before all the Thiago news and during that period none took his name as our Midfield signing. Now that Thiago sage is over, is Fellaini good enough signing to improve our midfield?

IMO we should sign him (and I said it before Thiago saga). He offers lot to our midfield. Very good defensively and he can score goals too. Set piece threat and also offers physical presence in the midfield. I'm yet to see him losing physical battle and he gave as good as it gets against Toure.

Theres no question he would improve our midfield. I would be happy for him to sign. Hes not the answer(no one player was really) but he would most definitely improve the starting eleven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Fellaini is probably the last resort. If Moyes was really series on him, the deal would of been tied up by now at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Selling Rooney to Chelsea would be an unmitigated disaster. No way Jose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I have a feeling this will go on until the last week in August, some club will put in a low offer but we'll still accept it.

Headshot wrote: »
    Fellaini is probably the last resort. If Moyes was really series on him, the deal would of been tied up by now at least

Last resort? He is one of the best CM in the league and the one who will improve our midfield easily.

Carrick-Fellaini duo is very good defensively and a good platform to build our attack. on.
    Carrick Fellaini

Nani Kagawa/Rooney Rooney/Kagawa

RVP
    This is a very good team and Fellaini can also play Carrick role when Anderson/Cleverley plays instead of Carrick.

Fellaini would be good signing.Offers physical power along with good technical ability

Fellaini would improve the first team and bring attributes missing from midfield. Goals, bite and somebody to be not afraid to put the boot in. I would take him in a heartbeat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'd have taken Fellaini before the Thiago fiasco, I'd still take him after the Thiago fiasco. None of this playing him further forward nonsense either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

baffling analysis, absolutely baffling. Carrick is as good as any player at that role, lying deep and breaking up play. we get over run in midfield, as we dont keep the ball enough or control the tempo - we also get outnumbered alot in there as very few teams play 4-4-2 now.

tell me, how come for example a midfield of scholes and carrick was the foundation for 3 league titles and a champions league win then?

baffling analysis, absolutely baffling. Carrick is as good as any player at that role, lying deep and breaking up play. we get over run in midfield, as we dont keep the ball enough or control the tempo - we also get outnumbered alot in there as very few teams play 4-4-2 now.

tell me, how come for example a midfield of scholes and carrick was the foundation for 3 league titles and a champions league win then?

We are in top 4 when it comes to possession %. We are not good at winning the ball back, as soon as other team attack they gets a free pass through the middle as we have no one apart from Carrick who is defensively good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Graham Hunter's take on the Thiago saga;
    Graham Hunter ‏@BumperGraham 6m
    Okay, last words on #Thiago. Genuine sympathy for United fans who didn't get the guy they wanted. We all know that feeling. Wd have been fab

Graham Hunter ‏@BumperGraham 5m
    No sympathy, at all, for those who demand hour by hour updates, get hyper when it's shared that things are advanced and think that = done

Graham Hunter ‏@BumperGraham 4m
    United offered Thiago financial terms. That was no problem. Some contractual terms were thorny, using the buy-out clause wasn't easy

Graham Hunter ‏@BumperGraham 3m
    Notice that Bayern haven't used the buyout clause they've paid 7m more in a transfer. They wanted him more.

Graham Hunter ‏@BumperGraham 1m
    Finally, a lot of you who know how to digest information and who understand the market have been v generous in Tweets to me. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

I would take Fellaini in a seconds notice. People assuming it's just a last resort or back up transfer because of Moyes is absolute nonsense. We would have taken him last season, or the season before - any time he has dominated our midfield single handedly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I can never understand how anyone thinks he is good enough for utd. Average hacker at best

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

I said it long before the Thiago saga that we should go for Fellaini, and I stand by that. He'd fit in well in the midfield, is a good box to box player who contributes in defense and attack, and would offer a physical presence there that we haven't had for some time, so we wouldn't get bullied in there as much. Nothing wrong with a little bit of dirt in the middle now and again, it's been a while since we had a player like that!

And more...
    Graham Hunter ‏@BumperGraham 2m
    Ok, lots of questions. a) Whether FCB replace Thiago directly is partly reliant on how Sergi Roberto is viewed. b) the question of United..

b) United missing out on big transfers, Benzema, Lucas, Thiago is PARTLY to do with SAF looking for proper value. Not sure he made a ..

an obvious mistake in either Benzema or Lucas. I'd also say that part of what has made D Moyes attractive to United is his transfer record

... at Everton which has been pretty good I'd say

so Bayern wanted Thiago more than we did according to Hunter. disgraceful....maybe its true Moyes wasnt keen at all.

I can never understand how anyone thinks he is good enough for utd. Average hacker at best

Fellaini? Ah no. I honestly think people are clouded by his stint up front for Everton. His Kevin Davies approach to being a target man. He will surprise you and change your mind if he signed. I'm almost sure of it. He has a bit of everything.

• Advertisement

Because United's midfield is beyond average and he has run riot against United everytime he plays us. He will add goals which has been sorely lacking from cm. He is not afraid to be dirty and kick players something missed since the Keane days. The United midfield gets bullied quite a bit and Fellaini would stop that. He is far from average one of the best cm players in the league. In the long run Thiago might have been a better signing but if looking towards next season Fellaini would be a better signing than Thiago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

TheTownie wrote: »
    Graham Hunter's take on the Thiago saga;
    there were complications about how to keep his buyout clause down to €18m & DM didn't view that position as no1 priority. Enter Pep

Muppet meltdown in 3...2...1...

Moyes wasnt keen at all.

Thats our story and we're sticking to it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

so Bayern wanted Thiago more than we did according to Hunter. disgraceful....maybe its true Moyes wasnt keen at all.

How could he not be keen on Thiago?? He is going to run the show in the middle of the park for Bayern, superb player that will only get better!

You can say all you want about Ferguson but his failure to ignore the cm position was a big weakness. Just shows how good a manager he was to win the league with such a week midfield.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Because United's midfield is beyond average and he has run riot against United everytime he plays us. He will add goals which has been sorely lacking from cm. He is not afraid to be dirty and kick players something missed since the Keane days. The United midfield gets bullied quite a bit and Fellaini would stop that. He is far from average one of the best cm players in the league. In the long run Thiago might have been a better signing but if looking towards next season Fellaini would be a better signing than Thiago.

Exactly. Just checking stats, we are not good at all in winning the ball back. Most bizzare stat was we are 20th in fouls per game stat. It's almost like none of our players even try to tackle anymore.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    How could he not be keen on Thiago?? He is going to run the show in the middle of the park for Bayern, superb player that will only get better!

He needed the money for a Baines bid!

Joking!

Muppet meltdown in 3...2...1...

so everybody who is concerned about the clubs poor transfer ambitions is a muppet?

we can call the people who think everything is great, that Fletcher will come back and save us and rooney and rvp will score 500 goals next season muppets also..its works both way.

i cannot believe some people are not angry and sickened by this fiasco and what has unfolded so far this summer.

Bild reporting that Bayern paid €20M. Thiago personally paid €2M and the remaining €3M is add-ons.

AFAIK that €2M is a remuneration that was due to Thiago that he chose not to take as part of the deal.

• Advertisement

Gringo180 wrote: »

He is not better than anything they have i don't see him running the midfield. His signing will probably mean a better midfielder will be shoved out of position to fit him into the team. Think Bayern signing him is a mistake they have better options. I can see trouble inside the Bayern camp which will only benefit the rest of Europe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement