Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Superthread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

so everybody who is concerned about the clubs poor transfer ambitions is a muppet?

we can call the people who think everything is great, that Fletcher will come back and save us and rooney and rvp will score 500 goals next season muppets also..its works both way.

i cannot believe some people are not angry and sickened by this fiasco and what has unfolded so far this summer.

I think everybody is disgusted a bit. We have missed out on our targets. It looks like Rooney could be leaving and Nani. Our targets seem to be a lb and cb. It's too early to call it a disaster anything can happen but it's frustrating as sh!t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Nuts102 wrote: »
    He is not better than anything they have i don't see him running the midfield. His signing will probably mean a better midfielder will be shoved out of position to fit him into the team. Think Bayern signing him is a mistake they have better options. I can see trouble inside the Bayern camp which will only benefit the rest of Europe.

yet he is keen on Garay and Baines and sees them as a priority? if Moyes wants to start pulling stunts like this, he will lose the fans very very quickly.

i hope for his own sake, he has a quality player lined up for CM.
    I think everybody is disgusted a bit.

no, theres alot of people who genuinly think nothing is wrong, at all.

by the way, an update on the marca story about Garay signing. if the story is true, it needs to be clarified within the next 6 hours as theres some set up in Benfica where they need to inform their stockholders.

so we will know if its Bulls*it or not pretty soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

People fail to see we need a creative CM first. There is no point getting a hacker if we dont have the creativity. I want a cm that can be the 2nd coming of Paul Scholes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

It could go down to a panic Transfer deadline day buy at old Trafford .The way we are doing business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

so everybody who is concerned about the clubs poor transfer ambitions is a muppet?

we can call the people who think everything is great, that Fletcher will come back and save us and rooney and rvp will score 500 goals next season muppets also..its works both way.

i cannot believe some people are not angry and sickened by this fiasco and what has unfolded so far this summer.

That was aimed at the people that would jump to the conclusion that that meant Moyes doesn't think cm is a priority, try to not be so sensitive Homer.

Every Utd fan is concerned about the club getting the best players, some are just a little bit more realistic than others though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

baffling analysis, absolutely baffling. Carrick is as good as any player at that role, lying deep and breaking up play. we get over run in midfield, as we dont keep the ball enough or control the tempo - we also get outnumbered alot in there as very few teams play 4-4-2 now.

tell me, how come for example a midfield of scholes and carrick was the foundation for 3 league titles and a champions league win then?

You must be looking for a rise or something because this is absolute nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

He is not better than anything they have i don't see him running the midfield. His signing will probably mean a better midfielder will be shoved out of position to fit him into the team. Think Bayern signing him is a mistake they have better options. I can see trouble inside the Bayern camp which will only benefit the rest of Europe.
    But he is better than anything Utd have in the midfield which makes it even more baffling why he wasnt seen as a priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

Headshot wrote: »
    I can never understand how anyone thinks he is good enough for utd. Average hacker at best

Are you serious? Look at our midfield and you're telling me he wouldn't get his game? Please. Is Fletcher good enough for United? Is Ando? He would march straight past these players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Jesus lads. Its not even half way through July and people are saying it'll be a deadline day job. Its far from a fiasco yet. We missed out on Thiago which is one player and are rumored to be in for two other non-CMs. Admittedly we don't need a CB alright but its all paper talk of yet. Moyes is smarter than flaunting the warchest + addressing the CM issue in an interview then doing nothing with either.

That was aimed at the people that would jump to the conclusion that that meant Moyes doesn't think cm is a priority, try to not be so sensitive Homer.

Every Utd fan is concerned about the club getting the best players, some are just a little bit more realistic than others though.

we have just passed up a chance to sign one of the best young players in the world, for in all things considered, pittance.

meanwhile the entire Portuguese press says we are about to spend the same amount of money on a center back and all the top press outlets in the UK say we are also bidding for Baines.

if i was a supporter of a rival club, id be loving this and laughing my b*llix off.
    master-t wrote: »
    Are you serious? Look at our midfield and you're telling me he wouldn't get his game? .

in a way mate, your statement there kinda sums everything up. the day that Park and Rafel played in there against Blackburn, was the day it finally hit home just how poor our options in there are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Duncan Castles' take on Thiago;
    If Manchester United genuinely “missed out” on Thiago Alcantara when the young Spain midfielder agreed to join Bayern Munich, it was not a transfer the Premier League champions were ever close to completing.

According to senior sources at Barcelona, at no point were United in contact to discuss a transfer fee, nor to signal their intention to activate Thiago's release clause.

That stance fits with United's public position on the subject. Asked about the 22-year-old being a target for the club last week, David Moyes said: "I never said at any time that he was.”

I think everybody is disgusted a bit. We have missed out on our targets. It looks like Rooney could be leaving and Nani. Our targets seem to be a lb and cb. It's too early to call it a disaster anything can happen but it's frustrating as sh!t.

We've had quotes from Moyes, Woodward and even Mike Phelan saying that we are short in midfield, yet people continue to go on like our only targets are Baines and Garay (who according to the only paper pushing him to us we've already signed about 10 times now)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

Quote:
    Originally Posted by homerjay2005 viewpost.gif
    baffling analysis, absolutely baffling. Carrick is as good as any player at that role, lying deep and breaking up play. we get over run in midfield, as we dont keep the ball enough or control the tempo - we also get outnumbered alot in there as very few teams play 4-4-2 now.

tell me, how come for example a midfield of scholes and carrick was the foundation for 3 league titles and a champions league win then?

You must be looking for a rise or something because this is absolute nonsense.

Repetitive, tiresome nonsense at this stage...very angry boy...needs the season to start pronto

We've had quotes from Moyes, Woodward and even Mike Phelan saying that we are short in midfield, yet people continue to go on like our only targets are Baines and Garay (who according to the only paper pushing him to us we've already signed about 10 times now)

If Utd were in for a quality CM in England or Europe it would leak to the press because there are so many people involved with high profile players its impossible to keep it under wraps.

Any transfers Utd have just announced out of the blue haven't been for such high profile players.

So while Moyes acknowledges Utd are short in midfield the lack of reported activity with regards a CM is worrying at this moment in time.

Yes and the two midfielders we were linked with heavily have moved somewhere else. It's alright talking about the midfield but it looks like we went all out for Thiago and failed. Also considering how long it's been since we signed a cm player it's hard not to be negative about the situation.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    But he is better than anything Utd have in the midfield which makes it even more baffling why he wasnt seen as a priority.

Is their anything to say he wasn't a priority. The only thing i can take from the story is he was our main target this summer. Him joining Bayern in no way means he wasn't a priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

just to point out, it suits Hunter and Balague to tow the line of "Utd lost out on him", since they were the types who "broke" the story of the deal being nearly complete.

complete chancers, the pair of them. in particular, the bollocks they come out with on that Revista show where they proclaim to know everything that happens at managerial and boardroom level at all Spanish clubs; it's beyond ridiculous.

so take anything they came out with the last couple of weeks with a large trailer of salt. there's no doubt they have some contacts, but they don't have all the ones they'd like you to believe, and those that they do, the information they then get, would often be embellished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

TheTownie wrote: »
    If Utd were in for a quality CM in England or Europe it would leak to the press because there are so many people involved with high profile players its impossible to keep it under wraps.

Any transfers Utd have just announced out of the blue haven't been for such high profile players.

So while Moyes acknowledges Utd are short in midfield the lack of reported activity with regards a CM is worrying at this moment in time.

RvP was rather out of the blue insofar as it didn't stem from some long winded protracted transfer saga.

I don't understand people complaining about all these silly transfer rumors then people coming out and saying its worrying we're not linked to any players when the majority of it is speculation and rumors.

we have just passed up a chance to sign one of the best young players in the world, for in all things considered, pittance.

I agree he's a class prospect, I'd have loved him to sign. I'd love to know how close we came to actually signing him but my issue is that people just automatically assume the club must have ****ed up without actually knowing what went on. We have no idea if Moyes thinks we'd be better off spending money on a different type of midfielder, we have no idea if Thiago was ever really keen on coming to Utd. If on the 2nd Sept we haven't signed a cm then freak out.
    meanwhile the entire Portuguese press says we are about to spend the same amount of money on a center back and all the top press outlets in the UK say we are also bidding for Baines.

Nope just the Record are saying Garay, he signed last month and the month before that, and the one before that too. We must have spent close to 100 mil on him by this stage. And how many times have we bought Baines so far?
    if i was a supporter of a rival club, id be loving this and laughing my b*llix off.
    I reckon they're getting more of a giggle out of you losing it tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

SSN reporting that we're back in for Cesc, from the Independent. I stopped reading this thread a few weeks back, the way it was going it was always heading for frustration and disappointment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

SlickRic wrote: »
    just to point out, it suits Hunter and Balague to tow the line of "Utd lost out on him", since they were the types who "broke" the story of the deal being nearly complete.

complete chancers, the pair of them. in particular, the bollocks they come out with on that Revista show where they proclaim to know everything that happens at managerial and boardroom level at all Spanish clubs; it's beyond ridiculous.

so take anything they came out with the last couple of weeks with a large trailer of salt. there's no doubt they have some contacts, but they don't have all the ones they'd like you to believe, and those that they do, the information they then get, would often be embellished.
    You're wasting your time. That's what I've been trying to get at since last night.
    People only want to believe that we f**ked up this transfer, without a shred of real, factual evidence that we did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Nailz wrote: »
    SSN reporting that we're back in for Cesc, from the Independent. I stopped reading this thread a few weeks back, the way it was going it was always heading for frustration and disappointment.

Its actually got a lot worse this last week. Probably best staying away for another few weeks. The sky is falling in here.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    RvP was rather out of the blue insofar as it didn't stem from some long winded protracted transfer saga.

I don't understand people complaining about all these silly transfer rumors then people coming out and saying its worrying we're not linked to any players when the majority of it is speculation and rumors.

With RVP there was still speculation in the run up to the transfer. It wasn't just announced as deal done.

WRT general transfer rumours. It is possible to siphon through the various rumours and put a weight on them in terms of bull**** or not.

For example, the rumours today of Fabregas have to be bullshít in terms of actual chances of signing him. Theres no way Barca would leave themselves short in midfield by selling Fabregas as well as Thiago.

I have a feeling that a transfer will just happen, without any hype, 'press leaks' etc. I was in Oz at the time, but I remember the RvP deal was just announced within a couple of days? Like, we made the bid, it was accepted, then he agreed? All within a few days? Maybe someone can confirm this as I was a bit off with hostel life and lack of wifi etc at the time.

Again, I must stress that I am sure the clu are aware of not only our weaknesses within the team, but also the fans stance / concerns. Both Moyes and Woodward want to break the ice and restore calm amongst the fans - what better way to do so with a big transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Really hoping that Barca are foolish enough to sell Cesc as well,mind you don't Arsenal have first option to buy him at 25 million?

master-t wrote: »
    I have a feeling that a transfer will just happen, without any hype, 'press leaks' etc. I was in Oz at the time, but I remember the RvP deal was just announced within a couple of days? Like, we made the bid, it was accepted, then he agreed? All within a few days? Maybe someone can confirm this as I was a bit off with hostel life and lack of wifi etc at the time.

Again, I must stress that I am sure the clu are aware of not only our weaknesses within the team, but also the fans stance / concerns. Both Moyes and Woodward want to break the ice and restore calm amongst the fans - what better way to do so with a big transfer.

You've got to put the RVP transfer in to context though.

A player with a year left on his contract and who told Wenger he wanted to leave and join Utd. And that was the middle of August.

It wasn't in Arsenal's best interest to start dragging out such a clear cut transfer at that stage in the transfer window.

That kind of scenario doesn't arise too often.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Really hoping that Barca are foolish enough to sell Cesc as well,mind you don't Arsenal have first option to buy him at 25 million?

its more to the point that United will be foolish enough to believe that they will and waste 6 weeks in doing so!

Coming up on the yellow strip now on SSN that United will make a £35 million bid for Cesc (from sky sources).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Fanny Biscuit

here we go again.

@SkySportsNews Sky sources: Manchester United to make £35m offer for Barcelona's Cesc Fabregas #SSN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

If we got Fabregas after all the Thiago talk it would be great. 35 million is prob over paying but we do need a CM badly. I doubt Barca will let him go after Thiago leaving

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Sky Sports News ✔ @SkySportsNews
    Sky sources: Manchester United to make £35m offer for Barcelona's Cesc Fabregas #SSN

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

They're not going to sell another midfielder.

Hunter and Balague did say Cesc wouldn't move this summer so we're in with a chance :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Fanny Biscuit

wadacrack wrote: »
    If we got Fabregas after all the Thiago talk it would be great. 35 million is prob over paying but we do need a CM badly. I doubt Barca will let him go after Thiago leaving

Not a chance of them selling Fabregas unless Farbregas has made it known he was willing to move and sign then a bid would make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

token gesture.

'we had a good look no question about that'

---->

Happy with the squad/Anderson's year/Give youth a chance*

*ie Cleverley who is 24

• Advertisement

Barca aren't going to sell Fabregas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Wow. The chase for one Barca midfielder has just ended and now this. Its depressing if they are doing all this without a clear indication he'd consider it. Sure we'll see how it plays out. Doomed to failure I think but ya never know.

Hunter and Balague did say Cesc wouldn't move this summer so we're in with a chance :D

Miguel Delaney said we're in. That means it's off!

If they were honestly considering a bid for Cesc, and not for Thiago, you'd fuc*ing think they would have made the move BEFORE Barca agreed to sell Thiago wouldn't you??

Absolute nonsense. (Unless Cesc has indicated he wants to leave to join Man Utd).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I don't care about over-paying, to be honest. City have already signed Navas and Fernandinho, Chelsea have signed Schurrle. We've signed Varela and Rooney is going (in my opinion).

Fergie's gone and we have a new manager so if making a statement means paying a few million too much, then who cares?

• Advertisement

**** all this and just sign Fellaini and Modric, that will solve all our midfield problems. I don't think Fabregas is realistic target, he won't move for sure.

These 'sources' claim the move will be made public 'imminently'. Maybe the club were reading our advice on Friday? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I wouldn't be surprised to see a signing like Modric or Fellaini because we haven't really been linked that heavily with them apart from the usual. This Thiago fiasco just proves that the journos know about as much as the rest of us.

Guillem Balague @GuillemBalague 23s
    Manchester United have just made a 30 million euros offer for Cesc Fabregas. More on @diarioas soon

**** this. It won't happen now.

Balague is some man.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

The best thing about the Thiago transfer is that I have used up my entire allotment of fcuks I could give for the entire transfer window.

If we sign someone, we sign someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

So Barca paid 34m for him I think and we offer 35m, pointless really, Fabregas even said he's happy to wait because everyone knows he's the future of that midfield.

6 weeks left of the window. 6 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

At least we are after a midfielder

Manchester United are preparing a £35m bid to bring Cesc Fabregas back to England, according to Sky sources

Ah there only at the preparation stage.

Still have the "Closing in" stage, "Very Close" stage, "Deal Done" stage, "A few minor details left" stage, "Hit a snag" saga, "Deal Collapsed" stage to go.

Sky says 35 Million pounds, whereas Ballbag says 30 Million Euro which is roughly 24 Million pounds. Meh can't see them accepting anything below 35 Million pounds if at all they are ready to sell.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement