Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Superthread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

To be fair with the Ramsay transfer. The club had only put up that the had reached an agreement on the transfer.
    Came down to United and Arsenal.
    Wenger met him at training ground.
    Fergie sent out Gary Neville, if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

It really isn't! the media is very easy to distrust.

I do think the bid happened by the way.

It really is, at times.

The problem is people don't understand how football actually works half the time.

United are linked to loads of players - the reality is United WILL have links to loads of players. We will talking to and keeping an eye on LOADS of players at any given time. Loads of stories are simply 'United are interested in X and may bid in the summer'. It is, most likely, true - we will have a degree of interest.

People claiming United aren't or weren't in for Thiago, Lucas, Hazaard, Fabregas, Shearer, Salas, Senna, Strootman, Baines etc - simply on the basis United didn't confirm a bid or they didn't sign - are simply talking bollocks. United are/were in for every one of them at some point. Some we decided not to persue further, some rejected us.

United not confirming a bid doesn't mean there wasn't one. United not bidding doesn't mean there wasn't interest.

nicklauski wrote: »
    To be fair with the Ramsay transfer. The club had only put up that the had reached an agreement on the transfer.
    Came down to United and Arsenal.
    Wenger met him at training ground.
    Fergie sent out Gary Neville, if I remember correctly.

Arsenal flew him out to meet Wenger on holiday. United had Neville meet him at Carrington.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

Yep - United well known for commenting publically on transfers.

United have bid for Fabregas - you can take that as a fact at this point.

The distrust people have of the media is absolutely laughable at times.

Never in for Thiago, never in for Strootman...

So you didn't for one second believe we were in for Thiago?

Because you are stating that you can't believe the level of distrust people have in the media, yet you then claim we were never in for Thiago. YET, every major newspaper claimed we were, and we were also on the brink of signing him.

Because the fact he has gone to Bayern, makes me distrust the media more.

So which is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

master-t wrote: »
    Lads when will some of you learn. We can't keep getting excited about these 'links'.

Given that every single news outlet broke it at the same time and is citing a senior club source you can take it Utd leaked it themselves, so the bid is as good as fact.

Why Utd would leak it if it was a serious bid and not just PR puzzles me though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Because you are stating that you can't believe the level of distrust people have in the media, yet you then claim we were never in for Thiago. YET, every major newspaper claimed we were, and we were also on the brink of signing him.

So which is it?

You totally got the wrong end of the stick there man.

So which is it?
    Turn on your sarcasm detector.

I'm having a pop at the people who talk crap that we were never in for either player basically cause United never commented or confirmed a bid/interest.

It really is, at times.

The problem is people don't understand how football actually works half the time.

United are linked to loads of players - the reality is United WILL have links to loads of players. We will talking to and keeping an eye on LOADS of players at any given time. Loads of stories are simply 'United are interested in X and may bid in the summer'. It is, most likely, true - we will have a degree of interest.

People claiming United aren't or weren't in for Thiago, Lucas, Hazaard, Fabregas, Shearer, Salas, Senna, Strootman, Baines etc - simply on the basis United didn't confirm a bid or they didn't sign - are simply talking bollocks. United are/were in for every one of them at some point. Some we decided not to persue further, some rejected us.

United not confirming a bid doesn't mean there wasn't one. United not bidding doesn't mean there wasn't interest.

I completely agree with you! My point is that after the Thiago saga I will no longer trust any media outlets, as they all / most pump out absolute sh1te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I'm having a pop at the people who talk crap that we were never in for either player basically cause United never commented or confirmed a bid/interest.

can't turn it on, it exploded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Why would they sell a happy player for less than they bought him though?

That bid is a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

TheTownie wrote: »
    Retweet and response from Chris Atkins;

The Garay deal must be going south too then.

I completely agree with you! My point is that after the Thiago saga I will no longer trust any media outlets, as they all / most pump out absolute sh1te.

Why based on the thiago story?

We were in for, we discussed and agreed terms in principle for him - the deal was close to completion. Why it got fecked up I don't know, and once Bayern got seriously involved we were done - but I would say the majority of the Thiago reports were factually correct.

That bid is a joke.

To remove the wages? Wages are the bigger financial concerns these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Fanny Biscuit

That bid is a joke.

It's more about Manutd declaring their interest and seriousness of making a deal happen. If Barcelona confirm they're willing to sell then negotiations between the two would happen meaning the fee would probably be higher with clauses included?

That bid is a joke.

And don't forget arsenal get a slice of the pie too.

Fully expect nothing to come of the cesc talk. Bids for 2 prem midfielders at the start of August. Felliani and cabaye and the line that these were our top targets.

In this case it really is anything is better than what we have. Beggars and choosers and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

#SSN have just said that it Cesc is "open" to a move back to England and that Barca want a little more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

We were in for, we discussed and agreed terms in principle for him - the deal was close to completion. Why it got fecked up I don't know, and once Bayern got seriously involved we were done - but I would say the majority of the Thiago reports were factually correct.

Based on what? It took Bayern a week to sign him, seems like it was between staying at Barca and going to Munich imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Give them 35 million see what happens. Its a real outsider but never know.

If its not going to happen then move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

To remove the wages? Wages are the bigger financial concerns these days.

He took a big pay cut to join Barca and he wasn't on huge wages in relative terms at Arsenal anyway.

Oh sarcasm.....Ah yes......yes....now I get it.....Dam.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Barca wage bill must be insane and a real concern if they would even entertain offers for Fabregas. Can't blame United for trying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

If there was even a slight chance we could get Fabregas why not bid for him before Thiago!

If Barcalona sell both of these players in one transfer window there gone crazy to be honest.

I really really can not see anything coming of this other then ''I want to stay at barca'' and ''the player is worth a lot more and we wont accept bids of any value''.

If we some how manage to pull this off ill give someone on here a tenner :pac:.

The reason the Thiago story bugs me was that although I agree the club didn't fcku it up, the reporters seemed set that Thiago deal was done and dusted. Not really a mention of Bayern, albeit from some sources. Then right at the end, it was Bayern Bayern Bayern.

When you look at the maount of players the papers link us wih each year, and the amount that actually come about, its a miniature percentage.

In few days this will be forgotten about and it will be back to Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

RasTa wrote: »
    Based on what? It took Bayern a week to sign him, seems like it was between staying at Barca and going to Munich imo.

seen as you called the Thiago one correct, do you believe we will sign Fabregas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Leftist wrote: »
    not a hope. It's a sick ploy imo. Why wait until the day after thiago goes? I could maybe understand if it was before that, as in: here barca, we'll take this lad you keep thiago and allow him the oppurtunities

but now?

nah. They know it's bollox. Easy way to take the heat off moyes.

Disgusting act tbh.

Plus he totally ruled it out earlier in the summer.

Sick?
    Disgusting?

Give it a rest....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

If Arsenal don't take up the 'buy back' option from Barca for £25mil then they are entitled to 50% of any money that Barca get for him :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

In few days this will be forgotten about and it will be back to Ronaldo.

Utd fans

squirrel-2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

£25m would be a steal for Fabregas. I would say in this current market he would
    be worth at least £10m more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

seen as you called the Thiago one correct, do you believe we will sign Fabregas?

Fabregas' quotes earlier in the Summer suggest he's not up for a move. It would only then depend on Barca wanting rid. If that's the case, I can see it happening. Otherwise, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

If Arsenal get 50% of his fee then 0 chance. I would say he is open to a move if a bid is accepted. I can't see Barca accepting any bids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

RasTa wrote: »
    If Arsenal get 50% of his fee then 0 chance. I would say he is open to a move if a bid is accepted. I can't see Barca accepting any bids.

first ive heard about Barca getting money from his transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

They'll apparently receive half of anything received over what they paid Arsenal for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

• Advertisement

Let me know if Skybet go odds against him staying at Barca anyone:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Fabregas + Van PussyJuice = boner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

How delightfully eloquent.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

s.welstead wrote: »
    They'll apparently receive half of anything received over what they paid Arsenal for him.

If thats true then its an incentive to accept less. Weird.

Based on Leiva's link it also sounds like they save 3 million on Fabregas contract as they won't have to pay the one million a year they pay Arsenal and the 6 million they would owe if they win la liga and european cup before 2016.

this is all getrting as complicated sounding as the thiago deal. May as well forget about it so!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Yep - United well known for commenting publically on transfers.

United have bid for Fabregas - you can take that as a fact at this point.

The distrust people have of the media is absolutely laughable at times.

Never in for Thiago, never in for Strootman...

I was convinced we were in for Thiago but now with details coming to light of this bid for Cesc and the amount seems to be know I am doubting our interest in Thiago. The information regarding this bid is much stronger, we never really go an official bid figure come to light for Thiago. It seems like once a bid is in it breaks very quickly, like this and Bayern in for Thiago.

Lets hope we can wrap it up as quickly as Bayern did.
    Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Never in for Lucas or Hazard either. All tabloid bs.

Didn't we offer 30m for Lucas and we were one of three EPL clubs Hazard had his pick of. City and Chelsea being the others.

Splendid mental image you have given the forum today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Lads if this 50% clause does actually exist in addition to a buy back clause (having both in a contract would seem a little unlikely), then surely it has to be 50% of any profit made on the original fee paid and not 50% of the whole fee.

How delightfully eloquent.

Cut him some slack that's a step up from normal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Watch out your post might disappear because of the ''offensive'' language by the pc brigade.

Fabergas is all we need.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Cut him some slack that's a step up from normal!

Its not really. It even sticks out like a sore thumb from the worst dross posted here but excitement is high so I guess it can go under the radar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I am offended and as a result you can expect at least 2 strongly worded letters!

Fabregas and someone like McCarthy would have me a very happy boy to be honest.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Jesus man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

DM-ICE wrote: »
    If thats true then its an incentive to accept less. Weird.

Based on Leiva's link it also sounds like they save 3 million on Fabregas contract as they won't have to pay the one million a year they pay Arsenal and the 6 million they would owe if they win la liga and european cup before 2016.

this is all getrting as complicated sounding as the thiago deal. May as well forget about it so!

No maybe I explained it wrong. Barcelona get their fee back and then anything above that gets split 50/50.
    Original transfer was €29m so anything received above that they would split.
    But yeah maybe the add-ons are a worry and it would remove having to pay those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I don't understand the bid of £25 million. There is no chance in hell it will be accepted. It's not even ballpark imho, and not any basis for further negotiation.

I wished we'd have learned a lesson from the Thiago saga. Go in hard and fast, and get the job done without dragging the arse out of it. We've been burnt too many times to act the bollocks with this.

Fabregas and someone like McCarthy would have me a very happy boy to be honest.

If we are going for a Marquee signing and secondary signing combo like this I would much prefer Yacob from West Brom as the secondary. More potential and EPL proven. We were linked to him before but nothing came of it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement