Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Superthread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

Agreed, I like the idea (Not Irish bias) of McCarthy coming in to strengthen our midfield. More likely he would rejoin Roberto at Everton, but for (according to some evaluations) £10m he would be a very good purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Timmyctc wrote: »
    I am offended and as a result you can expect at least 2 strongly worded letters!

Or two words that are strongly lettered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

tbh I would bring back Liam Miller just to have Fabregas.

That desperate.

If we are going for a Marquee signing and secondary signing combo like this I would much prefer Yacob from West Brom as the secondary. More potential and EPL proven. We were linked to him before but nothing came of it.

Than McCarthy?? I wouldn't agree with that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Rooney10 wrote: »
    I don't understand the bid of £25 million. There is no chance in hell it will be accepted. It's not even ballpark imho, and not any basis for further negotiation.

I wished we'd have learned a lesson from the Thiago saga. Go in hard and fast, and get the job done without dragging the arse out of it. We've been burnt too many times to act the bollocks with this.
    Possibly hoping Barca might come back and tell them how much he will exactly cost or if in fact there is any chance in signing him... and then after they can weigh up their options maybe?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

master-t wrote: »
    Agreed, I like the idea (Not Irish bias) of McCarthy coming in to strengthen our midfield. More likely he would rejoin Roberto at Everton, but for (according to some evaluations) £10m he would be a very good purchase.

If one of the top sides buy McCarthy and it doesn't go well for him he would still be sold on for a similar fee to what was paid for him. Its low enough risk if he is initially bought as a squad player.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Than McCarthy?? I wouldn't agree with that at all.

Had a great first season with West Brom. Managed to get a call up to the Argentina national team. A player of the month award somewhere along the lines.

25-year-old’s first season in England been that recent reports have suggested that both Atletico Madrid and Sevilla are interested. Used to be club captain at Racing.

Has appeared predominantly as a defensive midfielder, and it is seen that his CMF defensive work has allowed West Brom’s more attacking players to excel.

I would say he has more top club potential than McCarthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I don't understand the bid of £25 million. There is no chance in hell it will be accepted. It's not even ballpark imho, and not any basis for further negotiation.

I wished we'd have learned a lesson from the Thiago saga. Go in hard and fast, and get the job done without dragging the arse out of it. We've been burnt too many times to act the bollocks with this.

Yep, God forbid we actually went in with a reasonable offer because that could see us sign an actual midfielder and we can't be having that.

Too....much....sarcasm....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

jebus84 wrote: »

we may not be laughing in a few weeks time...that, despite its humorous intentions is along the possibility of something that could happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Small part of me wants us not to strengthen the midfield to prove you doom merchants wrong come trophy time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

irishfeen wrote: »
    Possibly hoping Barca might come back and tell them how much he will exactly cost or if in fact there is any chance in signing him... and then after they can weigh up their options maybe?

Well Barca have just said yet again he is not for sale.

Source: Yer wan on the 2FM sports news 15 mins ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Small part of me wants us not to strengthen the midfield to prove you doom merchants wrong come trophy time.

See last Summers thread.

Had a great first season with West Brom. Managed to get a call up to the Argentina national team. A player of the month award somewhere along the lines.

25-year-old’s first season in England been that recent reports have suggested that both Atletico Madrid and Sevilla are interested. Used to be club captain at Racing.

Has appeared predominantly as a defensive midfielder, and it is seen that his CMF defensive work has allowed West Brom’s more attacking players to excel.

I would say he has more top club potential than McCarthy.

I agree that Yacob had a good start to the season - the Pool match in particular - but I think i'm just putting it on the fact McCarthy is 22, Yacob is 25 and McCarthy has played 4 full season in the PL. Both good players, just more value in McCarthy for me I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Well Barca have just said yet again he is not for sale.

Source: Yer wan on the 2FM sports news 15 mins ago.

Would be surprised if 2FM had the exclusive scoop on that - nowhere else has it officially rejected as far as I can see (though I would imagine it is just a matter of time)

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Great decision. Man Utd will definitely be more successful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

So many people are so filled with rage/disappointment that they haven't even thought about how heartbroken David De Gea must be.

</3

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

This doesn't really make much sense. I mean Barcelona have just lost Thiago, they're hardly going to want to sell another midfielder.

I'd love to see a (boards) show of hands who realistically thinks the Cesc deal will go ahead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

I'd love to see a (boards) show of hands who realistically thinks the Cesc deal will go ahead?

"Not I" said the cat.

thats baffling logic, surely you want the best for our club?

winning a trophy can cover alot of cracks. teams like southampton handed our arses to us last season, yet the league table showed we got 6 points from them.

doom merchants as you call them are much more realistic than people who are happy to see Fletcher and Jones being the lynch pins of our midfield and this its ok to play s*it football time and time again, grinding out 1 goal results against the likes of West Ham.

if you think that we will still win the league next season without buying in midfield, then i admire your faith in Moyes and the team. personally, i dont think we will win anything without proper investment.

RVP carried us to the league last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

How about we sign Daniel Levy from Spurs for 20m. He'll have saved that for us by the end of the summer and we'll have more top class midfielders than we could shake a stick at!

All joking aside though, that Fabregas £25 bid is bizarre. Has he ever indicated he wanted to leave Barca? And would he really want to leave his boyhood club where he will undoubtedly be the main man in midfield in a couple of years?

Very strange. Unless Barca have indicated they are willing to listen to offers? No matter what way I twist this next saga around I cannot make it into a realistic scenario.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

jebus84 wrote: »
    we may not be laughing in a few weeks time...that, despite its humorous intentions is along the possibility of something that could happen.

This reminds me of pretty much every time I try to tell my mother a funny story about something that happened, only for her to then say "Oh Jesus, that's very dangerous, ye shouldn't be doing that".

Lighten up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

The only hope we have for this deal to happen is that Barca have a huge new payroll headache with Neymar and they want to add a couple of centre backs also this summer so they need to free up wages to balance the books.

The only hope we have for this deal to happen is that Barca have a huge new payroll headache with Neymar and they want to add a couple of centre backs also this summer so they need to free up wages to balance the books.

well they'd have £50million to spend and could potentially get 3 players for that, adding in a bit more money.

Fabregas would be the dream signing for United.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Any chance that RVP could bring any influence to bear considering they are both ex Gooners and they were presumably on good terms?

Anyone any ideas when the next Moyes Presser is at all? Would be interested in trying to get a read into how he handles the Cesc questions. Probably say, 'don't talk about it in public etc' but would be interesting none the less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Man Utd bid for a top class midfielder?

Anyone any ideas when the next Moyes Presser is at all? Would be interested in trying to get a read into how he handles the Cesc questions. Probably say, 'don't talk about it in public etc' but would be interesting none the less.

Nothing much I would say. Won't talk about other clubs players etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Man Utd bid for a top class midfielder?

We think he's a striker.

We think he's a striker.

Or a CB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

After Thiago going to Bayern, we need to land Cesc IMO, not entirely the same type of player but have similar qualities, Cesc is so creative though, he would do our midfield a world of good!!!

Don't think he will go for 25mil though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Jones is at it again

BPOWdlvCAAAfqMC.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

He gets €115,000 a week, nearly a third of what Rooney gets an only €10,000 more than players like Nani and Evra get.

That amount is reasonable enough for a player who played 41 games, scored 13 goals and had 11 assists last season. How is that wage effecting Barca? If it is why not get rid of Song who is on nearly the same as Fabregas?

He's one of the best midfielders around and is happy at Barca, that 25m bid is an insult. United should go in all guns blazing, 40-45m offer and get the player we've needed for the last 4 or 5 years to fix the gaping hole in our midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Jones is at it again

Welbeck seems to be getting everything in his mouth! Surprising really.

Jones is at it again

Forgive me but in that light I thought that was Paul McShane sitting to RVP's right. Nearly spit out my dinner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

He gets €115,000 a week, nearly a third of what Rooney gets an only €10,000 more than players like Nani and Evra get.

That amount is reasonable enough for a player who played 41 games, scored 13 goals and had 11 assists last season. How is that wage effecting Barca? If it is why not get rid of Song who is on nearly the same as Fabregas?

He's one of the best midfielders around and is happy at Barca, that 25m bid is an insult. United should go in all guns blazing, 40-45m offer and get the player we've needed for the last 4 or 5 years to fix the gaping hole in our midfield.

I'd be happy to pay up to €50m for Cesc!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Nani is nowhere near that wages, reports that Young is close to that.

So Rooney is on 300K per week, strange how every month 50K adds up in his contract. From 180K to 220K to 250K to 300K now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

I'd have no problem taking Song, he's a very capable player, although obviously Fabregas is a class above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Julez wrote: »
    I'd be happy to pay up to €50m for Cesc!

Woo hoo!!!! When can you sign the cheque??? ;)

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Nani is nowhere near that wages, reports that Young is close to that.

So Rooney is on 300K per week, strange how every month 50K adds up in his contract. From 180K to 220K to 250K to 300K now.

Nani is on £4,650,000 per year, that's £90,000 per week, which translates roughly into €105,000 per week. So only 10k less.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

And I thought Rooney was always on 300k per week since his last contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Delboy5

After the Thiago non-event, I think I'd be happy with a double sigining of Fellani and Fabregas this summer.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

Woo hoo!!!! When can you sign the cheque??? ;)

Ha, I was going to edit it to say I don't mean my own money, but I though hey, the nice guys around here will get what I mean and leave it... :pac:

Nani is on £4,650,000 per year, that's £90,000 per week, which translates roughly into €105,000 per week. So only 10k less.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

And I thought Rooney was always on 300k per week since his last contract?

Nani signed new contract in 2010 so i highly doubt he was on such a big contact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Nani signed new contract in 2010 so i highly doubt he was on such a big contact.

I thought Nani was only on 60-70,000 and that he wanted around 110,000. One of the big reasons he hasn't signed a new deal?

Most people say Rooney is on 250,000 basic plus 50,000 in image rights and add ons.

We should have cut him loose during that stand off.

Mirror wrote:
    Nani’s advisers are understood to want £130,000-a-week, with United said to be unwilling to budge from his current £90,000-a-week salary.

Link
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-nani-vows-prove-1761383

Mail wrote:
    Nani is on around £90,000 a week and under contract until 2014 but he has been linked with both Milan clubs and Juventus.
    The 24-year-old will join the likes of Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand on the next level of United's pay scale if he accepts £130,000 a week when talks start early next year.

Link
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2061686/Nani-set-bumper-pay-rise-Manchester-United.html

United plan to move the Portuguese winger, already on £90,000 a week, up to the next tier of their pay-scale alongside the likes of Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand on a reported £130,000 a week.

Link
    http://www.dailychilli.com/sports/5-sports/15147-nani-to-get-huge-pay-rise

Salary: 4,560,000 GBP per year

Can we conclude that Nani is on £90,000 a week now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Cesc Fabregas. What a buy that would be. Would slot seamlessly into our midfield, would have the freedom to move forward with Michael Carrick taking on the more defensive duties (along with his usual job of recycling the ball from defence).

However, the chances of it happening are slim and none. Why?

- Fabregas does not want to leave Barcelona and everything he has said points towards him staying and fighting for his place in the team

- Even if Barcelona did want to sell, our paltry offer of £25m approximately is insulting in everyway. Fair enough, they have to play the usual game of "here's this much, no we want this much, okay here you are" but you would have thought previously failed bids for players of Fabregas' caliber would have thought United a lesson. Get in, get him, get out again before we face further competition from the likes of PSG, Arsenal or just for the laugh, Bayern Munich (well, you never know!)

- Fabregas wont want to join United following his Arsenal ties, which remain quite strong despite his move to Spain

- The rumoured clauses in his contract make it even tougher. Do Arsenal have first refusal? What about a portion of any future transfer fees going to Arsenal? 50%? Huge amount of any fee, which means the transfer would cost the bones of £60m in order for Barcelona to re-coup the money they spent on him.

All in all, a great thing to dream about, but more a shot in the dark from United I think at this stage.

Can we conclude that Nani is on £90,000 a week now?

No. Mirror, Daily mail are hardly good sources and most of the papers just report very high figures just for the sake of it.

No. Mirror, Daily mail are hardly good sources and most of the papers just report very high figures just for the sake of it.

So let's all agree that not one person on this forum knows what Nani or Rooney earns a week then.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement