Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow Trathlon Club Bullies

Options
  • 12-05-2013 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

O.K, hope this gets through to the right people. I am sure most WTC are decent people and care about their club's reputation.

I know 4 people who have been bullied out of the early morning swims in Shoreline pool Greystones by members of WTC. 3 women and one man. My wife is one of the women. She is a strong swimmer. Strong enough to leave for dead most of the male swimmers in the Shoreline pools. About 2 years ago she was training ( roughly 85 - 100 lengths) most mornings in Greystones Shoreline. There were 3 lanes roped off for lane swims. 1 lane was paid for and reserved for a Coach and Group of swimmers, of which at least some were members of WTC. This group would take over the 3 lanes. If my wife or anyone else entered any lane, male swimmers would purposely obstruct or even HIT them deliberately and very hard - I've seen the bruises. I have heard the exact same story from the other swimmers. She , along with at least 2 other swimmers decided it was too intimidating and gave up their morning sessions (presumably the aim of these bullies)

Today, on a Sunday afternoon she has encountered the same conduct from a male swimmer in Bray Shoreline. When she asked him if he was member of the Wicklow Triathlon club he said he was.

After taking a deep breath, we have decided that if there is a further SINGLE incident we will take this matter up with the Gardai and press charges. We will also pursue this matter with the local authourities and have them intervene with the management of the Shorleline pools.We have the support of the 3 other swimmers. ( btw one of the other women is a member of another tri club and cycling club locally)
    Hope someone can bring this matter to the attention of the club's committee.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Would reporting any problem to the pool management not be a more appropriate forum for your complaint?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

EC1000 wrote: »
    Would reporting any problem to the pool management not be a more appropriate forum for your complaint?

I want the club to get the message and investigate it.

I was also hoping to get feedback and advise on the situation from people who use those pools,

The management have been notified on more than one occasion (and made aware of the bruises). Today they were notified and spoke to the swimmer. My wife asked them to also record the club's name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

They could get the message on the link below too instead of escalating it onto a national forum

http://www.wicklowtri.com/index.php/about/committee-coaches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

The management have been notified on more than one occasion (and made aware of the bruises). Today they were notified and spoke to the swimmer. My wife asked them to also record the club's name.

Not saying you are in the wrong, but its inappropriate to name and shame on a public forum. But if someone is being assaulted, you should inform the guards (if the pool management do nothing first) There's a lot of dicks out there when it comes to hogging lanes, both from super fast club swimmers and from floating whales. I sympathise if someone faster is being bullied from a lane- there's a hierarchy of talent in place as far as I'm concerned. Usually it gets managed well so that different abilities can share lanes.

FWIW any Wicklow Tri swimmers I've come across have been inclusive, accommodating, and helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Most clubs have a few d!cks amongst their members. Wicklow Tri is big enough that I'm sure it's got a few but I've always found them ok.

It's easy to tar all club members with the same brush due to the behaviour of a few members. Based on some encounters in my first year in tri I still always assume that when I see someone in a Belpark or a Three Rock tri suit they are going to be twats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

In that case get in touch with the club chairman directly. This is not what Boards is for.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement