Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Speeding - camera/ticket?

• 12-05-2013 7:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭

well i wonder a "mate of mine" was speeding today a very little about 85km in 60kmh zone going from M1 towards cc and the speed check van was there facing him front - as we know no reg plate on bike there (i mean facing front) so the point is -->
    anyone of you guys know if there will be able to track him or something? is there another camera on driver seat?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

Did this "mate" roll off the throttle and get under the speed limit before he passed the van? If so, he should be okay but if "he" was still over the speed limit as he passed the van then I think he might be done.

I am open to correction here but as far as I am aware, the "Safety" vans have cameras both front and rear, ( i.e. One camera out the back window of the van and one camera out the front window) but I think if it was a Garda speed van then they probably only have a camera pointing out the rear window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

Fr Dougal wrote: »
    Did this "mate" roll off the throttle and get under the speed limit before he passed the van? If so, he should be okay but if "he" was still over the speed limit as he passed the van then I think he might be done.

I am open to correction here but as far as I am aware, the "Safety" vans have cameras both front and rear, ( i.e. One camera out the back window of the van and one camera out the front window) but I think if it was a Garda speed van then they probably only have a camera pointing out the rear window.

omg. that mate didnt pay atention at all. he was running late to work and there was no traffic ahead. it was just after the tunnel heading towards whitehall junction. it was a white Van not the marked safetyone.

lets make it this way, how long time to recieve speeding ticket? :(

i wanted ask on IBF as well, but i didnt know mr. dougal is here as well. (biged)

Bikerguy wrote: »
    lets make it this way, how long time to recieve speeding ticket? :(
    Fortunately I don't have the experience to answer this one
    i wanted ask on IBF as well, but i didnt know mr. dougal is here as well. (biged)
    Beware of imitations though :D Apparently there is a new Fr_Dougal in the hood... :)

Fortunately I don't have the experience to answer this one

Beware of imitations though :D Apparently there is a new Fr_Dougal in the hood... :)

oh kk, i will wait for other lads to share thems thoughs abut the van and the camera.

about my spelling, next time i will pay more atention to important details. and i am sure you are the genuine Fr_Dougal, as he is very unique, actualy he is the only one who always try to help and share his amazing thoughs! hack ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I was flashed by a good few vans, normal white ones and the "safe" ones, or whatever company runs it. Never got anything in the post.
    As far as I know, a tiny percentage of vans have a forward facing camera too. I don't think the normal garda white ones do.
    That's all from info on forums, as I said, never got a ticket myself.

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    I was flashed by a good few vans, normal white ones and the "safe" ones, or whatever company runs it. Never got anything in the post.
    As far as I know, a tiny percentage of vans have a forward facing camera too. I don't think the normal garda white ones do.
    That's all from info on forums, as I said, never got a ticket myself.

hopefully that will be the case. thanks for imput

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The only ones to worry about is the ones that an actual Garda is holding, or the tripod ones they use. They pull you in straight away with them.
    On a side note, do the M50 ones work for cars? Heading south there's one before blanch (well, marks on the road anyway), one near the airport exit heading north. They definitely don't work for bikes, but does forward facing work?

about my spelling, next time i will pay more atention to important details. and i am sure you are the genuine Fr_Dougal, as he is very unique, actualy he is the only one who always try to help and share his amazing thoughs! hack ya!
    Haha, Yeah, I am the same Fr Dougal (without the underscore) here and on IBF (and on the VFR forum, Carpe_TDM and shortly Triumphrat forum...)

I hope "your mate" hears nothing more about today , I use that stretch of road pretty regularly myself.

Haha, Yeah, I am the same Fr Dougal (without the underscore) here and on IBF (and on the VFR forum, Carpe_TDM and shortly Triumphrat forum...)

I hope "your mate" hears nothing more about today , I use that stretch of road pretty regularly myself.

i know you are!!! thats why i mentioned the IBF and i tried to be little funny.

Cienciano wrote: »
    The only ones to worry about is the ones that an actual Garda is holding, or the tripod ones they use. They pull you in straight away with them.
    On a side note, do the M50 ones work for cars? Heading south there's one before blanch (well, marks on the road anyway), one near the airport exit heading north. They definitely don't work for bikes, but does forward facing work?

hm i really dont know answer on this1 , but i bet they dont, as in past my "mate" was speeding on m50 on his car and no ticket was issued so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Is this mate really you Ed....come on you can tell your old pal? LMAO

It can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 weeks to get a fixed penalty in the post.....but you/your mate know how to sort this Ed. The old quarter back sneak with the tax disc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    .....but you/your mate know how to sort this Ed. The old quarter back sneak with the tax disc.

Whats that !!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Any vans which have forward facing camera are there for the operators security and NOT for checking speed.. You're fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭bitburger

the white vans could be either the garda ones or unmarked gosafe survery vans which are unable to issue fines, as far as i know but am open to correction on it, no motorway in the country is a gosafe zone so it was probabaly garda who can work anywhere regardless of the zoning or signage,

dont know if the garda ones have a front facing camera, but the last i heard about the gosafe ones is that the equipment is all in place for mounting a front facing camera but none have actually been mounted.

did you happen to catch the make and model and or county/year the van was registered

bitburger wrote: »
    did you happen to catch the make and model and or county/year the van was registered

Just a wild guess ~ but the OP was probably going too fast to catch those details!!...

(of course I mean the OP's mate :pac: )

Mate confirmed to fast to spot the brand. It looked like ford transit around 2007.

Its the usual spot. Going from airport/M1.
    Thanks all for input.

Ed

So this mate of yours, did he take his lovely GF to the VJMC show last week?.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Is this mate really you Ed....come on you can tell your old pal? LMAO

It can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 weeks to get a fixed penalty in the post.....but you/your mate know how to sort this Ed. The old quarter back sneak with the tax disc.

I have micro tidy cant fit disc there.

So this mate of yours, did he take his lovely GF to the VJMC show last week?.

Busted - it was my wife.

Busted - it was my wife.

WIFE!.. You lucky sod :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭rocoso

no front camera in those speed vans....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

I was doing 65-70 in a 60kph tonight when I saw a plain white Van parked on the other side of the road. I immediately slowed down, it was a speed van. It was parked facing me with the camera facing the opposite way to the back of it. The vans front facing me.

Does the camera flash immediately after you drive past it, as in when I drove past it, it didnt flash, I kept looking in my mirror, there was a car coming the opposite direction and it flashed,wasnt sure if it was me or him?

Anyone know or have an idea on this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

bri007 wrote: »
    I was doing 65-70 in a 60kph tonight when I saw a plain white Van parked on the other side of the road. I immediately slowed down, it was a speed van. It was parked facing me with the camera facing the opposite way to the back of it. The vans front facing me.

Does the camera flash immediately after you drive past it, as in when I drove past it, it didnt flash, I kept looking in my mirror, there was a car coming the opposite direction and it flashed,wasnt sure if it was me or him?

Ya will be grand. Doesn't sound like you were speeding when you went past it. Sounds like the flash went off at the car coming towards it.

Sure just for circumstances like that, maybe relocate your tax disc to the number plate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

goodlad wrote: »
    Ya will be grand. Doesn't sound like you were speeding when you went past it. Sounds like the flash went off at the car coming towards it.

Sure just for circumstances like that, maybe relocate your tax disc to the number plate.

Thanks, Hopefully it was the car approaching it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭BaronVon

bri007 wrote: »

The vans are not supposed to flash oncoming vehicles, therefore it sounds like the van was set up for your side of the road.

However, on narrower roads, the camera can cover both lanes, or maybe the van wasn't set up correctly.

Advertisement